Author Topic: USA bikes in Canada  (Read 3439 times)

Offline chap

USA bikes in Canada
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
I have a 2010 C14 I imported from the states. I was at the dealer getting some work done and figured I would get the rear brake recall done as well. I assumed I would have to pay and was OK with that. The receptionist phoned Kawasaki USA and she got authorization to do the work and charge them.

So it looks like Kawasaki USA is doing the right thing and covering safety issues, even though the bike is no longer in the US. Thanks Kawasaki USA, and a note to other owners of US Kawasaki's (in Canaad) the recalls should be covered.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline ssbraun

Re: USA bikes in Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
I went through something similar on my US model '07 GSX-R1000....idle speed control valve would stick causing a steady 6000 rpm idle.  That was a real handful and just had to happen a bike trip lol!!  Suzuki Canada fixed it as it was a "safety recall".  I was told that non-"safety" recalls would not be covered.  It seems they're primarily concerned with liability risks  ::)

Cheers,

Steve
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline biker_golf

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
The deal was hard to ignore (saved over $5K), so I picked up a used 2010 C14 ABS in Tennessee
and brought it back to Ontario. 

Despite the red tape (US customs had some fun with me on the way down; avoid Detroit)
and a less than honest seller (I'm trying to fix the issues I have found, thanks to forum
members here and Concours.org), this bike has been well worth it.   

FYI.   The $200+ for RIV inspection and Transport Canada rubber stamp (import fee) took about
10 minutes at Canadian Tire........just another gov't cash grab.

Offline blackwidow

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Hey come to Quebec , 2013 C14 brand new are at $12700 + $700 for transport and preparation so $13400

Also my friend just bought a 2011 used for $9300.00 with 26000km , slip-on and top case included....

So don't need to buy in the USA.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Hey come to Quebec , 2013 C14 brand new are at $12700 + $700 for transport and preparation so $13400

Also my friend just bought a 2011 used for $9300.00 with 26000km , slip-on and top case included....

So don't need to buy in the USA.

They're still usually cheaper in the USA. I was looking at a brand new 2012 in Maine about 6 months ago, $11499 USD out the door.

I bought both of my C14's in the USA. There's no selection locally, and the USA bikes are typically at least a couple grand cheaper, if not twice that.

Bought my 2008 C14 in Mass in 2010 for $7400 (had 20,000 kms on it).
Bought my 2010 C14 in Maine in 2012 for $9500 (had only 6,000 kms on it).

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »
OFFTOPIC: next time you do that, let me know a bit ahead- I live in New England not far from Mass. at all. We could meet up or you could be careful to avoid me, whichever applies.  ;D

Brian

They're still usually cheaper in the USA. I was looking at a brand new 2012 in Maine about 6 months ago, $11499 USD out the door.

I bought both of my C14's in the USA. There's no selection locally, and the USA bikes are typically at least a couple grand cheaper, if not twice that.

Bought my 2008 C14 in Mass in 2010 for $7400 (had 20,000 kms on it).
Bought my 2010 C14 in Maine in 2012 for $9500 (had only 6,000 kms on it).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »
OFFTOPIC: next time you do that, let me know a bit ahead- I live in New England not far from Mass. at all. We could meet up or you could be careful to avoid me, whichever applies.  ;D

Brian

Ha... don't worry, I will let you know! Ya know, I've been trying for the last couple years to get to the Twisted Throttle open house, and said 2014 is THEE YEAR!!...
Until my wife told me we have a wedding to go to on the same day (May 24th).
Arrrrgggh....I'm still trying to get out of it....stupid weddings.
Anyway, I'll be down your way at least twice this summer on the C14.

You're not that far from my usual route anyway...
Usually hit the 495 around Boston, I90 west for a few miles, and then drop onto I84 and cut right across CT and stay on it all the way to Scranton, PA.

The missus wants to do some stuff down closer to you guys anyway,
so we'll have to come by for some clam chowda!!
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Great- that works for me! I am about 15 miles north of Twisted Throttle and usually attend their open house; we have a vendor's slot for COG with a banner, applications and pens for anyone who wants to sign up. We give away older copies of the Concourier too but not if there is a green or red bike on the cover....  :rotflmao:

OFFTOPIC: but funny story: so I met a friend from the NYC area at the local Kawasaki dealer where he dropped his bike off for major service (valves, TB synch., et. al.). We went out to lunch at a nice local place that has the best chowdah and clam cakes that I know of- He and I both got the bowl of chowdah w/ a half- dozen clam cakes. So we're eating along <when suddenly> he looks at the clam cake in his hand and says 'This is the worst crab cake I have ever had in my life!'. I pointed out that the main problem was probably that it was a clam cake, not a crab cake and about laughed my spleen out. Still funny even now....  ;D

Brian

Ha... don't worry, I will let you know! Ya know, I've been trying for the last couple years to get to the Twisted Throttle open house, and said 2014 is THEE YEAR!!...
Until my wife told me we have a wedding to go to on the same day (May 24th).
Arrrrgggh....I'm still trying to get out of it....stupid weddings.
Anyway, I'll be down your way at least twice this summer on the C14.

You're not that far from my usual route anyway...
Usually hit the 495 around Boston, I90 west for a few miles, and then drop onto I84 and cut right across CT and stay on it all the way to Scranton, PA.

The missus wants to do some stuff down closer to you guys anyway,
so we'll have to come by for some clam chowda!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
...So we're eating along <when suddenly> he looks at the clam cake in his hand and says 'This is the worst crab cake I have ever had in my life!'. I pointed out that the main problem was probably that it was a clam cake, not a crab cake and about laughed my spleen out. Still funny even now....  ;D

That IS funny...lol. Nice! I just snarfed Coke on my laptop!!

Ok, sorry to the Canucks above....didn't mean to get in the way of the USA-Canada bike importation discussion.

I've imported several bikes, and four trucks...if anybody ever needs any tips or tricks, I can offer some advice!...lol. As useless as it may be;).

PS: It was only a few years ago, that when importing a vehicle of any kind, you had to have the actual vehicle title at the border crossing 72 hours before you planned to cross. (Now, they will accept a fax....good grief, could it be any easier?>..lol).
Imagine having to get the actual vehicle title there 3 days in advance?

It wasn't SO bad IF you bought a vehicle from a seller that had the title in hand...at least you could get it quicker. If there was a loan on it...different story. It seemed anybody I talked to in the US...the bank had possession of their titles....they don't do this in Canada that I'm aware of. It made things tricky sometimes.