Author Topic: Where's the Maylasian jet?  (Read 8391 times)

Offline billhook

• Arena
Re: Where's the Maylasian jet?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
My question is, with all the satellites flying around, spy and otherwise, why do none of them have images of the plane.  Hell, Google Earth can be zoomed in to see someone sitting on their back deck.  I know Google Earth is a one point in time photo, but there's gotta be satellites up there tracking everything flying around.  Why is there nothing in place to switch tracking over to have a satellite begin visual tracking when communication with a plane is lost?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
My question is, with all the satellites flying around, spy and otherwise, why do none of them have images of the plane.  Hell, Google Earth can be zoomed in to see someone sitting on their back deck.  I know Google Earth is a one point in time photo, but there's gotta be satellites up there tracking everything flying around.  Why is there nothing in place to switch tracking over to have a satellite begin visual tracking when communication with a plane is lost?

^^^i've suspected all along they know where the plane is, they just don't want the world to panic over what could be next
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
^^^i've suspected all along they know where the plane is, they just don't want the world to panic over what could be next
+1 Steve. Most of the people (me included) probably don't have a clue as to how much they know and how they can find out.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
As far fetched and movie like as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if some corporate dealings in BIG $$ bonds/product/cash/valuables/etc were being transported on the plane in a clandestine manner, and something leaked... the plane would never have "landed", and all they have to do is retrieve the goods...
like you say, " it's easy to keep a secret between multiple people, when they don't survive..."

Kuala Lumpur is an Alpha level financial mecca.... just saying.... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

WE ARE DOOMED

Clark?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Thought maybe to flush him out into open.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »

A good chunk of our orbital surveillance is probably focused on Crimea right now... which is a ways away from the Indian Ocean.  Plus Malaysia isn't high on our list of priorities when it comes to assigning military surveillance assets.  North Korea is much more interesting...

As to your second question (why no automated tracking kicks in), well things like this might result in something like that happening.  Heck, they track your cell phones... and they were able to track the pings.  The question is, why only ping once an hour?  Shouldn't that be every 15 minutes for aircraft?

Finally, I heard some official being interviewed on the news mention that the cockpit recorder (black box) only records the last two hours of conversation (i.e. loops/records over the old recording).  In this day and age of cheap digital storage, shouldn't that be more like 8-12 hours?
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
Thought maybe to flush him out into open.

Good luck with that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »

This one makes me feel better so I vote for this one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
Welp, since I'm a pilot, and have experienced some of these things, I'll toss the following out for your reading enjoyment :)

Transponders are pretty cool. A plane turns it on and you can be seen on ATC radar. However, they are line of sight, the signal does not follow the curvature of the earth. Transponders can also be turned off in the cockpit.

ELT's (Emergency Locator Transmitters) are also pretty cool, and most every plane has to carry one. They activate on an impact, or should. Limited battery life, on the order of 24-48 hours. Though Big Iron ELT's may stay live longer? They too can be turn off, though it's somewhat of a chore (remove the batteries). Probably more of a chore in Big Iron (like a 777)

If I have the facts right, the plane was flying at night. Satellite photography would be kinda useless, even if the satellite had IR capabilities. Aside from the many boats down there, how would you identify a target, triangulate the course, and track it to contact with earth? And last I knew, the NSA does not have radar satellites up there, though they wouldn't tell me if they did. Morons ;)

777's have a monster range, assuming they have full tanks. Big Iron carries enough fuel to get to their destination, with a modicum of reserve. Not a drop more, flying extra weight costs the airlines big bux.

The engine monitor 'pings' are interesting. They should shut down on impact. And they probably only 'ping' one particular satellite with their data, no way to triangulate position.

Passengers cell phones could be triangulated, if there were any cell towers near by.

Small Cessnas and Pipers fly across the Atlantic (no joke), and have to carry LF radios with them (think Marconi). Even so, they often loose contact with ATC, and have to call big planes above them to relay position reports to ATC. They are basically flying across the Atlantic with a compass and/or GPS.

As far as a rogue plane entering USA airspace, we have this thing called ADIZ. It's a 'line' that is basically aligned with the international waters border with USA waters (it's actually closer to USA in *many* locations). Basically. If you don't have a flight plan ON FILE, and be in contact with ATC before you cross this line, some mid level manager with a bad comb over will scramble F-18's and stuff. Now think how fast this mid level manager would have to react if a plane (say a 777?) crossed this line at 580MPH

I'm thinking aliens.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Wow, thanks for peeing in my Cheerios this morning C14lvr...  :o

Sorry, man... But you're welcome...?

Hey, the OP asked for theories...
And I've been thinking about this for many days now.

I still say AlQueda has gotta be laughin' their azzes off right now, and dreamin about all those virgins...
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 04:01:39 AM »

I'm thinking aliens.

Rick

That was my third choice...

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »
They should get a warrant to search David Copperfield. Didn't he make the Statue of Liberty disappear a few years back?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 06:30:42 AM »
Maybe Boeing sent the Repo Man.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if we knew where it went, or where it is, but don't want the rest of the world to know we have that capability.  8)

We'll probably leak the info to some small time guy and make it look like it was his find. Or, we're tracking everything about it now to see who's involved. We probaby already have a SSGN or SSN submarine sitting off shore in close enough proximity that we can launch some Cruise missles and take them all out when the time is right.

edit: I thought I heard that this jet didn't have the engine tracking capability. The airline didn't buy that option.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
Maybe Boeing sent the Repo Man.

Roflmao!! LOL!

Malaysia Airlines missed a payment...

Now that's funny! Good one!

;D
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
There is a new season of the TV show "Lost" coming, and it is a publicity stunt.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS