Author Topic: Which lights do you like best?  (Read 1030 times)

Son of Pappy

Which lights do you like best?
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
So, this was a test of the Rigid Duallys and new Cyclops Long Range LED lights.  I used the same mounting point for each run, set 90 degrees to the ground and parallel to each other.  Trying to create an equal test shortchanged the Cyclops lights as they are a 10 degree beam and need to be aimed differantly.  And FWIW the video didn't do either set of lights justice.  For long range lights the Cyclops rules the road, I could see running gravel roads at night at the same speeds I would run in daytime.  The Rigids would be better in the woods as they are more flood than spot.  I will eventually have a set of the 20 degree lights from Cyclops for comparsion, but for what I will be doing I will be running the 10 degree in combination with the 610 Penetrator light bar.  Fill up close and distance for the road.  If I do some night time trail work I will have on the helmet mounted HID (Cyclops Solstice).  Still undecided if I will take the Solstice to Colorado as I don't "Plan" on extended night time riding, but, well, I do have a timeline so I may be forced to ride at night.

Tell me what you think.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=clpzyL0F870

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQUKe2WAZ9Y

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Which lights do you like best?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »
They both look weak, and inadequate for any night riding I would want to do.  You need more light to the sides, to light up the ditches, in addition to the 'down the road' light you already have. 
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Son of Pappy

Re: Which lights do you like best?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
They both look weak, and inadequate for any night riding I would want to do.  You need more light to the sides, to light up the ditches, in addition to the 'down the road' light you already have.
I didn't do any adjustment as I was trying for a comparison, but trust me, the video does them no justice, none at all.  I'd feel comfortable riding the same pace at night that I would in the daylight.  The Cyclops when adjusted will project well past the Rigids, which as it may be are about where they need to be.  I did the recording with the Contour Roam which isn't the best camera for night shots.