Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729201 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1760 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Curious to know how much plastic, which is made with oil, is used to make an electric car weigh less. And by using electricity made by burning coal or oil aren't you just rearranging how you use energy, coal made electricity vs gasoline? What would be a break even point? Kind of like taking over 20 years to break even by driving a hybrid truck, or Porsche SUV. And while I'm at it, why do electric car have to be so goofy looking, as if the owners want everyone to know they are driving an electric car.........oh, never mind. Kind of like charity where celebrities get their photo taken while doling out turkey meals in the morning on Thanksgiving, then get into their Porsche SUV and go back to their million dollar home, while I just give money anonomously.

The process of making batteries (mining the materials etc) and disposing of the batteries are much, MUCH, more polluting ie: (harmful to the environment) than all the pollution put of by the internal combustion engine.

In fact---the electric car is the most polluting car on the market.  (but you can't tell that to the Greenie Weenies!)  :banghead:
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1761 on: September 14, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
We were up in Door County WI last week camping and ended up going to the Sturgeon Bay boat yards.

Palmer Johnson is in the process of finishing up one of the first Super Yachts with a hull made completely from carbon fiber.

For a mere $150 million you too can impress your friends.

http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!48m-ss/c1vv9

I almost ordered one till I realized that it didn't have a helipad. I can't go to sea without my helicopter.

I'll have to go with this one instead I guess. It's a bit slower on the max speed but some sacrifices have to be made...

http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!72m-ss/c3or
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1762 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
As the Earth's moon is locked in what is called 'Tidal Locking', the far or dark side of the moon was not seen by any human until December, 1968, during the Apollo 8 mission. From Earth, only about 59% of the moon's surface is visible although not all of that at any one particular time of course.

Eventually, the Earth may be tidally locked with the moon, at which point 1 Earth day would equal one lunar month.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1763 on: September 15, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
As the Earth's moon is locked in what is called 'Tidal Locking', the far or dark side of the moon was not seen by any human until December, 1968, during the Apollo 8 mission. From Earth, only about 59% of the moon's surface is visible although not all of that at any one particular time of course.

Eventually, the Earth may be tidally locked with the moon, at which point 1 Earth day would equal one lunar month.

Brian

I'm surprised by this. I always thought it would be 50% or maybe 50.009%. I didn't think the angle difference between a moon rise and moon set and north pole and south pole would be enough to see another 9% of the surface. But after calculating ( cos(7,000/240,000) I used 7,000 since the diameter of the moon is ~1,000 miles and earth is ~8,000 miles ) there is almost 1 degree difference in observation angle.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1764 on: September 15, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »
I think the 50% thought is quite intuitive but incorrect because we do not observe from a point but rather the surface of a <relatively> large object and so have varying views of the moon.

But that is not the majority of the reason anyway- most of the increase beyond 50% is due to libration, of which there are three kinds: libration in latitude, libration in longitude and diurnal libration.

There is a pretty good explanation along with a video of how it works here:
http://www.wwu.edu/skywise/lunar_libration.html

When doing celestial navigation by hand, via a sextant and sight reduction tables, there is an error correcting calculation needed because the Earth does not rotate neatly but rather wobbles slightly and unless compensated for can cause, if memory serves, up to an eight minute error, which would be eight nautical miles at the equator- not an insignificant error. 

Hey, this is not my world, I just happen to live here and so have to compensate all the time for lots' of stuff.  ;)

Brian

I'm surprised by this. I always thought it would be 50% or maybe 50.009%. I didn't think the angle difference between a moon rise and moon set and north pole and south pole would be enough to see another 9% of the surface. But after calculating ( cos(7,000/240,000) I used 7,000 since the diameter of the moon is ~1,000 miles and earth is ~8,000 miles ) there is almost 1 degree difference in observation angle.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1765 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
I think the 50% thought is quite intuitive but incorrect because we do not observe from a point but rather the surface of a <relatively> large object and so have varying views of the moon.

But that is not the majority of the reason anyway- most of the increase beyond 50% is due to libration, of which there are three kinds: libration in latitude, libration in longitude and diurnal libration.

There is a pretty good explanation along with a video of how it works here:
http://www.wwu.edu/skywise/lunar_libration.html

When doing celestial navigation by hand, via a sextant and sight reduction tables, there is an error correcting calculation needed because the Earth does not rotate neatly but rather wobbles slightly and unless compensated for can cause, if memory serves, up to an eight minute error, which would be eight nautical miles at the equator- not an insignificant error. 

Hey, this is not my world, I just happen to live here and so have to compensate all the time for lots' of stuff.  ;)

Brian

Exactly. 2 people observing the moon on the horizon, one from around the north pole the other the south pole will be seeing it from about a 1 degree angle difference. Now add in this libration wobble thingy and I now see why we can see 59% from the surface of the earth.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1766 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
Add in some libation, a little more wobble and we could probably see at least 75%.

Brian

Exactly. 2 people observing the moon on the horizon, one from around the north pole the other the south pole will be seeing it from about a 1 degree angle difference. Now add in this libration wobble thingy and I now see why we can see 59% from the surface of the earth.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #1767 on: September 15, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »
What would really suck is if you only saw this side of the moon

:rotflmao:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1768 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »
I was watching an old Burt Reynolds movie, "Sharkey's Machine", and could swear that I saw Jerry Seinfeld in it as a waiter in it. He was uncredited so I can't tell if it was him or not. He looked about 25 give or take a few years, movie was made in 1981, so the age works. Sure looked like him.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1769 on: September 16, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
So we all know there are 52 weeks in a year, and we all know there are 7 days in a week. So obviously there are (7 X 52 =) 364 days in a year.

Brian

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1770 on: September 16, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
Leap year.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2014, 05:45:02 AM »
Which one?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2014, 05:48:27 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
Ah, that explains it all.  The answer to all answers.  I'll have to remember that. :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
So we all know there are 52 weeks in a year, and we all know there are 7 days in a week. So obviously there are (7 X 52 =) 364 days in a year.

Brian

We all know there are 365 days in a year (except leap years) and 7 days in a week. So obviously there are 52.1428571 weeks in a year, except leap years. We could go round and round all day.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
Yep- in fact, there are NOT 52 weeks in a year. There are not even 365 days in a year- it is closer to 365.25 (hence leap year which you pointed out). Even that is not quite right and there have to be further calendar corrections now and then.

The reason is that an Earth day and an Earth year are not related in any way. But to package it neatly, we try to couple them (Easy Boys!) and they really do not fit together.

Brian

We all know there are 365 days in a year (except leap years) and 7 days in a week. So obviously there are 52.1428571 weeks in a year, except leap years. We could go round and round all day.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1776 on: September 17, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
Toasted England and the Queen tonight with my Queen Elizabeth coronation shot glass.  Seeing double at the moment so I have one eye shut as I post this.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1777 on: September 17, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Sounds as if Scotland may finally free itself of the British Tyranny it has been suffering with ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1778 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »
I hope not, but that's my personal opinion.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #1779 on: September 18, 2014, 04:55:24 AM »
Toasted England and the Queen tonight with my Queen Elizabeth coronation shot glass.  Seeing double at the moment so I have one eye shut as I post this.

I drank so much at my daughters wedding that I was seeing triple; closing one eye only made matters worse. I had to keep both eyes open and fosus on the object in the middle.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010