Author Topic: Objectively speaking, how good/bad is the stock C14 suspension?  (Read 19338 times)

Offline Charliedog

Objectively speaking, how good/bad is the stock C14 suspension?
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
The only reason I ask that is it seems that every new bike I might consider (other than a rocket) needs suspension upgrades, re-valve/re-spring the front forks and replace the rear shock.

I have a C10 and have gone from stock shock to Progressive to ZZR1200 shock, a couple of FZ1s with replacement shocks, and an SV that I purchased with an Ohlin's shock already installed.  Frankly, I'm sure if I can notice a diference in the ride, but I get caught up in making 'improvements', but the 2015 green caught my eye, and before I do anything I have to ask if there is a consensus regarding the C14 stock suspension.  TIA 
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline jwh20

Re: Objectively speaking, how good/bad is the stock C14 suspension?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:29:16 AM »
I think the C14 suspension is first-rate!  I know folks like to tweak things to extract every last bit of performance but it rarely, if ever, required.  It's all about what you want and how much money you have to throw at it.

But generally there are very few mass-manufactured motorcycles that are totally optimized in any one area.  The C14 is a kinda-sporty mainly touring motorcycle.  So things like comfort and soft suspension were more important than all-out handling.  But it's always some sort of compromise.  Something like a Ninja 1000 is is more of a flat-out sport touring bike and certainly would out handle a C14 at the expense of comfort, especially passenger comfort.

So is anything required on a C14 to make it a great motorcycle? IMHO no, it's a fantastic bike.  Can you find some options or upgrades that might make it better for you?  Absolutely!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
Having come from heavy cruisers, I think the C14 suspension is fantastic. I'm sure someone with a lot of time on a high end sport bike would think differently.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
I've never had any complaints about the suspension, brakes, or power. Maybe the weight, but not once it's moving.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
I am more of a tourer than canyon carver and seldom ride at more than 7/10th.  The machine is incredible in stock form and only a gung-ho rider, or one who tours 2-up with gear a lot, will need more than the stock adjustments can dial in.  I am a big guy and carry my wife sometimes so we max out the weight and I leave the adjustments dialed into to handle that, so it's firm the rest of the time but perfectly comfortable and handles better than I am willing to push it.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Shades and above both C10 and Voyager XII I owned.  It's bloody nirvana compared to them, but that's all I can compare it to.  The rear suspension is a bit stiff, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »
I find both ends stiff, the rear more so.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
My rear end is stiff too, but mostly because I sit on it all day long and don't get enough exercise.

Badda Bing, Badda Boom!

This so doesn't work for me...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Changed to traxxion forks and penske rear shock and was impressed.  even better when wife said she was more comfortable.

Offline jsa

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
Both ends have a harsh ride for different reasons.  The fork is over sprung, the shock has too much compression damping.  The shock is an easy fix but expensive....just replace it with a quality aftermarket shock.  The forks need new springs and revalving, or to be replaced by a ZX-14 forks.

If I was rating the OEM suspension, I would give the forks a 8 and the shock a 7.  Not bad but not as good as the competition.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »
I find the suspension very compliant for my purposes of 300-400 mile days with a couple of sweepers and ya-hoos tossed in daily. Once your sag-set is dialed in and you get a decent set of tires like PR-3/4GT's, you will find this bike very entertaining to say the least. I don't expect it to stay with my son's ZX-10 or even a 636. Those bikes beat the crap out of me in about 100 miles, but the C-14 is the best compromise for the money on the market- hands down. And the most durable IMO.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 04:52:08 AM »
Once you get both ends dialed in for your weight and ridding style, the suspension works great, for me at least!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
I have  a Penske shock and Traxxion dynamic fork cartridges on my Ninja 1000. They are better than my Concours 14 suspension, but the margin is not near as much as it was with the Ninja bike.

How would I describe it?  Lets say my modified Ninja is a 10.  Stock ninja maybe a 5.  Concours is a solid 7. 

For sure it could be improved, but for me, the seat and a few other things were a higher priority.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »
I also find the stock C14 suspension a bit harsh.  My C10 rides better with a ZZX rear shock and RaceTec gold valves in the forks. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
I also find the stock C14 suspension a bit harsh.

It is probably because it is set for a higher weight capacity.... which makes sense for a sport touring bike designed to carry a lot of weight.  Especially noticeable when the driver is not heavy (like me, 148lbs).  In my case, I can never carry a passenger (and don't even have a seat for it anymore- Sargent pod), so I would probably benefit from lighter springs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
I bought my bike used , and know nothing about the PO.  That being said, what ever the settings are, both F/R seem fine for me at 200lbs, whether he changed them from stock, or not.  I keep telling myself I need to set the sag , etc, etc.  But it feels so good now, I hate to chance messing it up.  I may be overthinking the situation, or may be just lazy.  I'll go with overthinking, no maybe lazy.  Probably more just a procrastinator. . . tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
Considering her size and operating speed, not bad. There's more than enough spring there at both ends, too much really. Almost enough rebound damping range. I'm over 200 lbs and have about all the spring preload backed out of fork and shock, and still have yet to bottom it out.
Main thing seems to be get the springs to where you can maintain level flight, and rebound damping to keep the road from kicking back too hard. Helps to keep the steering head bearings a bit on the tight side.  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »
When I set it up as shown in the bike manual it's quite harsh.  When I back the springs and dampening off completely it's not too bad. 
COG #548

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »
Brilliant!  That's exactly what I had to do...either that or gain more weight. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
Brilliant!  That's exactly what I had to do...either that or gain more weight. ;)

I'm 180 lbs.  Guess I need to eat more.   :)
COG #548