Author Topic: Gas Prices, will it affect your riding ?  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Gas Prices, will it affect your riding ?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »

Yep, she get's 7 in town, 7 on highway, and 7 pulling the 5th wheel, don't matter what she gets 7...  :'(

Maybe it's just the way I drive it??  :-\  She does pull the 5th wheel nicely up hills at 60 mph though!  :thumbs:

If the question of this thread was "will the gas prices have an affect on hauling the 5th wheel alot this summer" my answer would be YES!  :( >:(

FWIW though I can't seem to get my ave mpg up over 32.1 on my Connie either, but I also don't do much highway riding...  :-\

Try unhooking the 5th wheel.   :P

Something else we have in common J, the 5th wheel that is. Montanas are nice.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
ZG, maybe you need to check the air (er..put some air) in your tires.  :o   

My V-10 gets  11-12 mpg around town, 12-13 mpg at the speed limit on two lanes, 9-10 mpg pulling my 30' bumper pull camper (NOT a 5th wheel). That's a much taller hole to punch through the air. 

I plan to ride 90% of the time this summer. It's about 40% now. Thank goodness for a mild winter so far. I get $.50/mi for work driving, but that just barely covers the cost of gas for the Ford. I figure $5.50/gal is breakeven not counting tires and maintenance at $.50/mi.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
Something else we have in common J, the 5th wheel that is. Montanas are nice.

:thumbs: :chugbeer:

ZG, maybe you need to check the air (er..put some air) in your tires.  :o   

My V-10 gets  11-12 mpg around town, 12-13 mpg at the speed limit on two lanes, 9-10 mpg pulling my 30' bumper pull camper (NOT a 5th wheel). That's a much taller hole to punch through the air. 

I'm just heavy footed RD, I'm sure if I eased up to speed I could get better, but for some reason I just don't, old habbits...  :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »
ZG, beautiful pics!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
 :)
ZG:
My 2000 F250 V10 is about the same. 10mpg in town,uphill, downhill or over a cliff. But on a road trip 12-13mpg with 430 rear end. Not an economy truck, but I love the ride. Pulls my horses trailers well, too.
Bob Young

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
like others have said, I will ride more.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »

Nope, not in the cards Gumbi, bought her new 12 years ago and am just now hitting 60k miles on her. She's a good rig and has been long time paid off, no car/truck payments for me in this economy!  :)
Same here.  OMG on the prices on a new truck. i'm not sure I could afford my own truck now.
A new one w/ same equiptment would be $50-60k  :yikes:  Now that buys alot of diesel  fuel!
Our Connie has saved us alot is gas $$$ during my 120 mi r/t commute for the 6 yrs before retiring.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »
I may take out the reliable 60 MPG HONDA more heh

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Nope.....and both of my 2 wheel toys run on premium gas.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
That IS a nice rig. When I saw the trailer, I thought you probably had a 4.30 or 4.10 rear. I bought mine to tow sometimes and drive around most times, so I got the 3.73. I've often worndered why they didn't put a two speed rear in these trucks. I've also wondered why we don't have the option to buy a small diesel in a 150.
2014 C-14 Red

Excavator

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
My duramax duelly will be parked in the driveway more which means the C14 will collect more miles this year.

My wife's GMC 4X4 was just traded for a little BMW328i, got tired of parking that truck at the gas station.   :banghead:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
I will keep riding every day since my Expedition only gets 10 mpg and my wife's CX-9 only gets around 18 mpg in town.  The 5.4 is a boat anchor!  Anemic performance and horrible economy.  But it is fun when I take the family fishing or camping.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »
We have gas @ $3.64 here in Springfield, Ohio. But that was at 6pm, who knows what it is now. But when I filled up the bike this afternoon I was on the oposite side of the pump from a guy filling a big Ram 2500.
I stopped at $14.00, he had to use 2 different cards to fill his tanks. Seems $75 is all each card will allow per gas purchase. His final bill was $152.00, and he said that happens every week with his drive to work and back. I told him to get a nice small bike and see what he can save, he said that idea didn't fly with his other , not better half. It was everything I could do not to ask him what size pants she wore, but he was already depressed from his fill-up. So I played nice.   :yikes:
Just ride safe out there,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
My wife's car gets better mileage than my connie. So for long trips we will take that.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline dvitous

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »
My '99 wrangler clocks in at about 16.5 mpg on average.

My last job was 60 miles round-trip.  Doing the math, every day I could take the bike to work instead of the jeep saved me an easy $10 in gas cost.

Not that I don't take the bike as often as I could anyway... but I just like to rub that stat in the faces of my non-bikin' coworkers  ;D

It might make me chance the weather more, or take it on stupid-hot days mebbe....
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:27 AM »
I will keep riding every day since my Expedition only gets 10 mpg and my wife's CX-9 only gets around 18 mpg in town.  The 5.4 is a boat anchor!  Anemic performance and horrible economy.  But it is fun when I take the family fishing or camping.

I love our Expedition as well, but the mileage sucks.  I will say that the 5.4 is an anchor also, but I have 150K miles on mine and have had no major problems yet (knock on wood).  The plugs are a pain in the ass to change.  I am hoping to get 200K miles and then break down and get a new used vehicle.   

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 05:31:52 AM »
I love our Expedition as well, but the mileage sucks.  I will say that the 5.4 is an anchor also, but I have 150K miles on mine and have had no major problems yet (knock on wood).  The plugs are a pain in the ass to change.  I am hoping to get 200K miles and then break down and get a new used vehicle.

Mine has 174,000 miles and hasn't shot a plug yet (knock on wood).  The previous owner had the transmission replaced and I replaced nearly every part on the suspension.  I will be going back to a Chevy after this thing get retired.  Every Ford I have owned has either been unreliable or needed tons of maintenance. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:33 AM »
My C-10 is my go to vehicle anyways for transportation, so higher gas prices won't affect it's usage much.  My C-10 gets 45 MPG average, compared to 16 MPG or less for my trucks.  It'd be nice to have a working car in the 30+ MPG range, but I can't aford a new one so there you go...

Higher gas prices definitely affect how often I use my other transportation options, though, so I find myself avoiding using said options whenever I can.  In wintertime though, thanks to my recently implemented no riding in freezing temperatures rule, I have to rely on those more...

I had a bad day on my C-10 with a small patch of black ice that resulted in a trip to the emergency room, and since then I just won't ride in freezing weather of any kind.  It just isn't worth taking the chance again, however small it may be.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
It probably won't affect my riding. I might walk a little more for short errands and the like. I'll probably do a little more campsite cooking when I'm on the road.

I switched from a VW Bug to being a full time Motorcycle rider in 1973. I was married back then, my wife made the switch from a 1969 Chevelle V8 to a new Honda Civic. I've always hated spending dollars on stuff you just burn up. I really have a hard time understanding the ideal of driving a vehicle that drinks fuel faster than I drink beer. 7 to 12 MPG ? I could never sleep at night.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
I really have a hard time understanding the idea of driving a vehicle that drinks fuel faster than I drink beer. 7 to 12 MPG ? I could never sleep at night.

Well actually my beer consumption is even worse...  ;)