Author Topic: First Ride  (Read 3765 times)

Offline sgilbert14

First Ride
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
Well I woke today to 40+ degrees, windy as hell but dry. Was only going to ride the few miles to have the bike inspected but when I got there they did not have the stickers in yet. When I feft the shop it had started raining a really cold rain but I still decided to go the long way home. How did it fo? Weather sucked, roads sucked, no inspection and my first inpressions after 40 miles - WOW, what a rush. This in not my old XS750...... :chugbeer:

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Re: First Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Well I woke today to 40+ degrees, windy as hell but dry. Was only going to ride the few miles to have the bike inspected but when I got there they did not have the stickers in yet. When I feft the shop it had started raining a really cold rain but I still decided to go the long way home. How did it fo? Weather sucked, roads sucked, no inspection and my first inpressions after 40 miles - WOW, what a rush. This in not my old XS750...... :chugbeer:
You better bet it aint the same!  8)

You're in for one hell of a time with this machine.  ;)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
The best wet/cold weather bike I've owned, by a mile! :D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
You own a C10?

I've never tried one of those. There's a big Cult following though, so I've heard. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Really?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:29 AM »
There is a rather large owners group for the XS triples. The forum groups were a huge help just like I find this will be. I spent a ton of time working and building the bike to where I wanted it and then I had to let her go when my car died to pay for a trany. I sold that car to buy this bike ! Still it was my first and it was great. I did attach a pic of what she was before I sold her.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »
There is a rather large owners group for the XS triples. The forum groups were a huge help just like I find this will be. I spent a ton of time working and building the bike to where I wanted it and then I had to let her go when my car died to pay for a trany. I sold that car to buy this bike ! Still it was my first and it was great. I did attach a pic of what she was before I sold her.

Trany???  How did that work out for you?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »
The trany worked out great. Used the $ from the bike to buy a parts car and books to learn how to turn an auto to a manual. Spent a month on my back under the car in the snow and rain and changed everything from the wire harnesses, trany with a new clutch pack, computer system, ignition system and evenh wired in the BOSE system. First turn of the key and the car ran great; no lights, no issues. Learned a ton doing the project and lost my fear of tearing things apart. So, on to my next projects - bike and my 02 Focus winter rat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 06:09:07 AM »
Trany???  How did that work out for you?
missed it

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »
Tell that to the trany....(transvestite)...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »

Yes, I said it, didn't I.  It's amazing about words having totally different meanings these days.  Someone saying trany back in the 60's vs today.  Totally dual meanings depending on the context.  Of course, I delight in knowing words with different meanings.  It makes responding to posts.......well.......differently.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
.....and lost my fear of tearing things apart.
Yeah, doesn't that feel great!

Just ignore these guys(? :-*) and their trany jokes, that's just their way of welcoming newbs.

Welcome to the fold, and I hope your weather improves soon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
So true...welcome to the asylum....!   :rotflmao:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

:rotflmao:

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
Thanks for the joke!!!! I sell the bike to fix the car. Sell the car to buy the bike and today my wagon **** the bed today and no no trany issue - rear wheel bearing/brake drum. Would not be so bad if I could ride but it is snowinf ()*&W@(#*&)*&)*@& Still, the joke put one of these  ::) on my face.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »
Funny, I've always seen it and spelled it "tranny" refering to both meanings mentioned here. ;D Generational/regional thing?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
It should be "tranny" I guess I just was lazy. :banghead: