Author Topic: Formula "E" racing  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Formula "E" racing
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
I'm watching a Formula "E" race.  At first I thought they looked a lot like Formula 1 cars, but the sound just isn't right.  That's because they're electric.  I guess I just haven't been in touch with modern racing classes for some time.  Sound just like my old slot cars I used to race when I was a kid.  Each team keeps a second car in the pit garage, so when they run out of "energy", they pit and swap cars.  Good racing even if it does sound weird.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Racer Boy

Re: Formula "E" racing
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
Electric is the wave of the future, but I hate these races.

1) They sound terrible, like a 110V drill plugged into 220V. Very irritating sound!

2) The rules are lame. They cars are state of the art formula cars, but they have to run weird treaded tires that have very low grip, so they are skating around all the time. It also doesn't help that they've only run Formula E races at street course with tight chicanes and low speed corners. I'd much rather see them on a real race track. I think they are racing them on street circuits that conventional cars have never raced at before, so the performance can't be compared. The FIA doesn't want the casual fan to know how much slower these cars are.

3) Why do they change cars when the battery is nearly exhausted? Why not have more of a "pit stop" where they exchange a battery pack with a quick connect/disconnect harness? The drivers having to change cars looks too much like some expensive kind of Chinese fire drill. Plus having TWO cars to complete a race has got to be expensive.

IMO the Hybrid cars that run in the WEC prototype class are much more relevant, and much faster. Eventually, electric power cell tech will catch up, then we can have some good racing, but until then, I think the racing is pretty half-baked.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Formula "E" racing
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »
I read an article where the green crowd is figuring out how much pollution it takes to make electricity for cars. Damn, more pressure on coal. I never dreamed the idiots would figure out what making electricity or disposal of batteries means to the environment.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine