Author Topic: Ok, so let's get something straight....  (Read 10412 times)

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
Ok, so let's get something straight....
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
BRP Can-Am Spyder IS NOT A MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can stop at a light, not put your feet down and it doesn't fall over IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it doesn't lean into a corner IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it's has more than two wheels IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! (exclusion being a side car)
If it doesn't wheelie IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! (yes 2-3" counts as a  wheelie)
If it's as wide as a small car IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it doesn't have a side stand IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If I say it's not a motorcycle then IT'S NOT A F$%^ING MOTORCYCLE!

Rant done................. :-X

Offline booger

Re: Ok, so let's get something straight....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
In Texas, it's a motorcycle.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
In Texas, it's a motorcycle.

Maybe legally, but not to me . . . see above.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
So fine, don't buy one, don't ride one. If you win one in a contest, refuse to accept it. And if one horrible day you wake up with an injury or illness that prevents you from ever again riding on 2 wheels anymore, be sure you don't buy one then either. Who really cares?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
So fine, don't buy one, don't ride one. If you win one in a contest, refuse to accept it. And if one horrible day you wake up with an injury or illness that prevents you from ever again riding on 2 wheels anymore, be sure you don't buy one then either. Who really cares?

:goodpost:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
If you straddle the seat it's a motorcycle.  The ride is differant, but it's a ride none the less.

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
If you straddle the seat it's a motorcycle.  The ride is differant, but it's a ride none the less.

The means a bicycle is a motorcycle too?  ;D

YoDoc

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
The means a bicycle is a motorcycle too?  ;D

I'm pretty sure that "motorcycle" implies a motor, but I am loathe to classify a bicycle with an add-on motor as a motorcycle...

Why all the exclusion? Does the existence of these things aggravate a physical condition I'm unaware of that causes some people to have debilitating pain?

I think they're brilliant. Some people who would not otherwise ride a motorcycle may ride one of these. Sure, it's not the same, but they behave almost EXACTLY like a bike with a hack. Just because alot of people believe something doesn't make it true. Just ask anybody about somebody else's religion...   ;D

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
DannyL - you are in Quebec. Check out what your government has to say about it.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/threewheeled_moto/definition.php

I am going to seriously look at one for two up riding.

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
So, it seems then that we have motorcycles, and three-wheeled motorcycles.

Although, and it pains me to say this, it seems like the MP3 may be more of a three-wheeled motorcycle than any of the others, minus the hack, of course.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »
Well, a motorcycle isn't a "bike", either.  Since "bike" is the diminutive of "bicycle", then by the same rule, the diminutive of "motorcycle" is "mote".  So, who rides a mote?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

YoDoc

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
Well, really, I think a motorcycle IS a bicycle. I think motorcycle might be an alteration of the word bicycle. Interestingly, Indian used to use "motocycle", so perhaps I ride a Moto?

YoDoc

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »
http://www.realdictionary.com/?q=motorcycle

http://www.wordnik.com/words/motorcycle

http://www.definitions.net/definition/motorcycle

These seem to support the motor plus bicycle theme, but also support the two wheels or else theme...

Bob

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:53:46 AM »
If the rider is out in the cold and heat, does he not have to deal with it?
If the rider is in the rain, does he not have to wear rain gear to keep from getting wet?
If the rider has an accident, does he not face the same injuries?

:o

It's road worthy, it has no options for doors, roof, heat and A/C. It may have three wheels, but it sounds a lot like a motorcycle to me. It may not lean and has one more wheel. But all the other attributes are more motorcycle than and automobile or equivalent!
 I've seen (for example) GoldWing"s and Harley's with a trike kit because the riders can't do two wheels anymore. Does that all of a sudden mean it's not a bike?
 When I was in Fontana in 09 for the national. We came across an older couple who had their brand new C14 on it's side, because his knees couldn't support the bike at that moment. He had been riding for many, many years, but was having problems now. People like this a lot of time move on to a trike or such to keep riding. They like to be in the wind. DO they not deserve to be on a motorcycle. Or because they need the support of the third wheel, is it no longer considered riding?  ???

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »
 I've seen (for example) GoldWing"s and Harley's with a trike kit because the riders can't do two wheels anymore. Does that all of a sudden mean it's not a bike?

A bike is a bike.  A trike is a trike.  And a snowmobile with wheels is a Can-Am Spyder.........................
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 05:25:30 AM »
I have a honda dirt bike in my garage.  No side stand though; what the heck is it?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »
Motor-Cycle...
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:08 AM »
Just because you have a NARROW mind, does that mean you don't have a mind?  Like I've said before, Ford's and Chevy's, you don't like it don't buy it, but ranting about it only makes you fit into the "Harley are the only bike" crowd.

Bob

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 06:22:33 AM »

A bike is a bike.  A trike is a trike.  And a snowmobile with wheels is a Can-Am Spyder.........................

So a bike with a side car is not a bike. It's a trike?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »
If you look at the definition of 'cycle', the one thing you see is roughly this definition:
any complete round or series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated

It is also simply defined as circle, ring, and wheel.

Underneath that definition come bicycle, motorcycle, tricycle, unicycle. These "cycles" all meet that definition. It is further defined by the first part of the word. Motorcycle, Bicycle, Tricycle, Unicycle.

So the definition of of the Can Am can be debated. Technically it may be called a motorcycle, but it just as easily be called a trike, like a Goldwing that has been modified to run with two rear wheels. So while we may call it a trike, technically it is called a motorcycle. Really a tricycle is a cycle with three wheels and no motor. JMNSHO