Author Topic: Evolution of the food stamp program.  (Read 9491 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Evolution of the food stamp program.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
Unemployment insurance is not "mooching" off the system, provided of course you have paid into the unemployment insurance program.  Which I would say is obvious that you did.

I hope this program stays in Kali, keeps the rifraf where it belongs.  Anyone willing to bet this store is subsidized with federal $$?

Nope, according to what I read it's a private company.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
This simply looks like a grocery business catering to people using food stamps. Smart business model. This market is probably growing and all they have to do to take share is put on a friendly face for food stamp customers.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
The problem remains that the fedgov is the root cause. I don't blame the business.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
The problem remains that the fedgov is the root cause. I don't blame the business.

+1 :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »

My mom broke more than one wooden spoon on my backside and look at how well I turned out.    8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
You mean nobody else got the hand mixer power cord used on them?  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »
this

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
  I would love to comment on the ignorance of some people on this subject because I've was there once as a child. If you don't understand the situation maybe you were never there. 
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Please comment.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
  I would love to comment on the ignorance of some people on this subject because I've was there once as a child. If you don't understand the situation maybe you were never there.
I'm sorry, ignorant how?  I am always in for a hand up but I am always against a hand out.  I fully understand the difference, do you?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
I'm sorry, ignorant how?  I am always in for a hand up but I am always against a hand out.  I fully understand the difference, do you?

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

Don't hold back now. Us ignorant folk need to be schooled.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
Before this gets ugly lets keep it tame.  I would like an open discussion and true exchange of ideas.  Lets not get this sent you know where. 
Thanks.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

Yes I do. When you have NOTHING to eat you don't care if it's a hand up or a hand out. If you want to berate people do it to the individual and not everybody as a whole.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
The first question I would ask is why they have nothing to eat.  The second question is what will be received in return for help.  Rules of reciprocity.  For balance to be achieved there must be an equal give and take.  To always take will always result in a shortage that must be refilled by someone. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
I believe this whole thread is more concerned with the wanton abuse of the program rather than the program itself. Especially when the abuse is sponsored by the fedgov.

And I would also like to keep this for an open discussion rather than the Arena if possible. It would be easy to get this thrown off the board but not necessary.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
The first question I would ask is why they have nothing to eat.  The second question is what will be received in return for help.  Rules of reciprocity.  For balance to be achieved there must be an equal give and take.  To always take will always result in a shortage that must be refilled by someone.

They was me!  In my younger days after my dad was discharged from the US Army because of a lung disease. He had a steady job but had to go to a VA hospital to get 2/3 of his lung removed. He was gone for a month and a half and my mother was home with 4 young children. She got assistance 'til my father was able to go back to work. One month the check came late and  we literally had NO food in the house.
  Are there people that abuse the system? Sure but there are also people with children that without food stamps would NOT  have anything to eat. Don't lump everybody together that are on food stamps. In a lot of cases a family loses the bread winner. Death, divorce, or gone to jail. Will you take the children into your home 'til mom or dad finds a job that pays enough to feed, house and clothe them?
  Well??

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
I'm sorry for your past troubles and I'm glad you had help when you needed it. I hope the system works for others that find themselves in similar situations. That being said, 44 million people are getting food assistance now. That's 1 in 7.  The USDA has ads on TV encouraging people to sign up. Spending other peoples money has become an industry in itself. When a private sector business has found it can profit from a welfare catering business, something has gone horribly wrong. The program, by design, is going to collaspe from it's own weight. Who will be helped when that happens?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
My family my responsibility.  Yes I will and have.  I place the same level of responsibility on everyone.  FWIW 3 kids and 3 grandkids.  20+ years retired Army.  Some would say I did it for the adventure, some may even say I did it for the money.  I can tell you I did it for my family and country.  To be independent and self sufficient.