Author Topic: Washing the bike  (Read 20095 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Washing the bike
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »
I want the bike to be somewhat hot because it will dry faster.  I also want it to try and recover the battery some from the start.  With the bike already "on", I can raise and lower the windshield for washing.  And, finally, I check all the lights and such as part of the procedure to make sure everything is working.  I also get to listen to it from all angles to notice anything unusual that can't be heard with helmet on and/or when sitting on it.

Once I am done with the windshield and first rinse, I turn it off for further washing then dray, polish, buff.  But if I am doing a quick wash, I will often just leave it running the whole time (of course, the whole quick wash, rinse, and dry, in that case, is only like 10 min)

I just use my electric leaf blower to dry her off and get all the water out of the places it shouldn't be.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:50 AM »
I use warm soapy water to get the major stuff off like bugs and tar then I use this stuff with micro-fiber cloth to shine it up:  http://polyscts.com/

On road trips I keep a spray bottle of it in a side case and give the bike a "sponge bath" from time to time. It's pricey but one bottle goes a long way. I have had my bottle for about a year now and it is still more then half full.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
My bottles don't last that long...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
A hose with no attachment and microfiber cloths is all I ever used.  Just rinse most areas and blast the bugs off the headlights and bags.  23,000 miles and with the exception of boot marks on the right bag and a couple scratches on the tank from my kids climbing on it in the garage, it still looks almost brand new.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
My bottles don't last that long...

Are we talking about Vodka or Gin martini's Jim??  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
Take your pick...I rather like Conrad's idea with the beer but leave off the washing and it would be perfect.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:17 AM »
Take your pick...I rather like Conrad's idea with the beer but leave off the washing and it would be perfect.

That cuts down on the complexity immensely.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
I have never washed any of my bikes with water!  Water is bad for the electrics on any bike...if you have soap mixed in with the water it is even worse almost impossible to remove it especially under the seat.

Honda makes a great polish cleaner..nice soft rags to prevent scratching the plastic...

I wipe down after each ride..helps to make it easier to keep it clean.....

Just my thoughts cause electronics can cause lots of problems with this bike when they get corroded and are difficult to find.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
I have never washed any of my bikes with water!  Water is bad for the electrics on any bike...

I guess that's bad for me because I ride in the rain all the time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

Vodka martini here please, me no like the taste of Gin...  :pukeface:

That cuts down on the complexity immensely.

Indeed!  :thumbs: :hail:

Offline koval68

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
I just use my electric leaf blower to dry her off and get all the water out of the places it shouldn't be.
That's exactly what I do to dry her off.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
I use warm soapy water to get the major stuff off like bugs and tar then I use this stuff with micro-fiber cloth to shine it up:  http://polyscts.com/

On road trips I keep a spray bottle of it in a side case and give the bike a "sponge bath" from time to time. It's pricey but one bottle goes a long way. I have had my bottle for about a year now and it is still more then half full.

It seems they are finishing already clean vehicles or does it work on dirty ones? Also no racism intended,I spent most of my life managing restaurants and 3 mexicans in ten minutes equals an hour for me :chugbeer:

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline TRBN

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
I have never washed any of my bikes with water!  Water is bad for the electrics on any bike...if you have soap mixed in with the water it is even worse almost impossible to remove it especially under the seat.

Honda makes a great polish cleaner..nice soft rags to prevent scratching the plastic...

I wipe down after each ride..helps to make it easier to keep it clean.....

Just my thoughts cause electronics can cause lots of problems with this bike when they get corroded and are difficult to find.

Ninja

This made me laugh.  I ride all weather.   The Bike gets wet.  If a stock motorcycle can't handle water and weather, then it will not be a bike that I will ride for long... 

The C14 performs wonderfully as an all weather vehicle.  I have been through downpours and even snows with no ill effects to it.  I wash it at regular intervals with nothing more than a hose, a bucket of car wash soapy water and a microfiber mitt.  Dry it off with the Stihl Leaf Blower.  28K miles and running strong!

Aaron

Offline atilla457

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.

I just washed the bike after a 1800mile trip to Oregon.  Haven't started it yet but i'm not worried about it.  It looks good.

On a side note, this bike is the worst I had for maintenance.  I bought a kn filter (thanks to a thread about amazon deal) and had to strip the left side of the bike.  It took me 3 hours, including stripping right side looking for the filter and trying to figure out where that extra screw went after putting everything together.  It rides great though ;)
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »

I just washed the bike after a 1800mile trip to Oregon.  Haven't started it yet but i'm not worried about it.  It looks good.

On a side note, this bike is the worst I had for maintenance.  I bought a kn filter (thanks to a thread about amazon deal) and had to strip the left side of the bike.  It took me 3 hours, including stripping right side looking for the filter and trying to figure out where that extra screw went after putting everything together.  It rides great though ;)

Take them off a couple of times for various farkles/maintenance and you'll be able to do it in minutes with your eyes closed.  Depending on what you do you may be taking them off more often than you want and there seems to be little you can do from the middle to front of the bike without stripping it down to some extent.  To what extent just depends on what you need to do.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »

Very much a change of topic but.... REALLY!!!  I mean, you have to take out multiple bolts to get to the battery???!!  When I took off all the side top/mid/bottom fairings, I thought it would never end.  I was terrified!  And they just HAD to put that damn quick rivet at the TOP of the dashboard so you have to take the WHOLE WINDSHIELD OFF just to remove that ONE rivet so you can take off the upper side fairing!  OMG!

And yes.... I ended up with not one, but TWO of those smaller fairing bolt/screws left over.  I went through it all again... I STILL cannot figure out where they go- there is nothing missing!  So I am holding them for the next disassembly.

Anyway, now that I have done it once, I am positive it will be much easier next time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »

1800 miles in Oregon is as much water testing as you can get, only thing dryer would be to just ride it across the Pacific ocean...  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
C'mon, tell us how you really feel and don't hold back this time....  ;D 

Yeah, that push rivet is kind of pesky. I have found what I think is the easiest way to remove it though, I use the smallest Allen wrench from the set (long handled Bondhus type) and it is really pretty easy to coax them out. Putting them back in is relatively easy and if they fall, they fall on the floor.... unless they fall in the slots where the windshield support arms come through the fairing.  :o

As far as the extra fairing screws, that is one of the undocumented features of KiPass- it makes more fasteners than you lose, always keeping you in spares.

With some practice and an electric screwdriver to remove the fasteners, the side fairings can be removed in less than 5 minutes each.

Brian

Very much a change of topic but.... REALLY!!!  I mean, you have to take out multiple bolts to get to the battery???!!  When I took off all the side top/mid/bottom fairings, I thought it would never end.  I was terrified!  And they just HAD to put that damn quick rivet at the TOP of the dashboard so you have to take the WHOLE WINDSHIELD OFF just to remove that ONE rivet so you can take off the upper side fairing!  OMG!

And yes.... I ended up with not one, but TWO of those smaller fairing bolt/screws left over.  I went through it all again... I STILL cannot figure out where they go- there is nothing missing!  So I am holding them for the next disassembly.

Anyway, now that I have done it once, I am positive it will be much easier next time.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
I don't know about Oregon but 900 miles of riding in the rain through Wyoming, Montana and Idaho will wash ALL the bug carcasses off the bike that South Dakota and part of Wyoming can put on the bike.... and that's a LOT of bugs. Gives new meaning to 'wash, rinse, repeat'.

Brian

1800 miles in Oregon is as much water testing as you can get, only thing dryer would be to just ride it across the Pacific ocean...  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
.... unless they fall in the slots where the windshield support arms come through the fairing.  :o

Sounds like I'm not the only one to do that.  ;)  I really hate that feeling when you drop something and don't hear it hit the floor because you know more dis-assembly is in your immediate future.   >:(

I agree with TRBN (since we've shared some of the same downpours)...what good is any vehicle that breaks if it gets wet?   ???