Author Topic: Switched live feed for volt meter  (Read 912 times)

Offline jacksdad

Switched live feed for volt meter
« on: August 31, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »
Me again!
I'm trying to find a switchable live feed to power my aftermarket voltmeter: sounds easy but I'm struggling a bit 😲
I would ideally like to find the same for my Led daytime lamps, at present they are wired directly to the battery live, through a 10w fuse.
My bike is a 1994 A9 UK  model yet the wiring diagrams in the Kawasaki workshop manual are different, then different again in the USA Clymer book!
I've tried all the wires I can get to, so far only found the pair of constant live bullet connectors under the seat...anyone help please! 😁

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
Re: Switched live feed for volt meter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »
You're not going to find a switched lead in the factory hardness that you can/should hook lights up to.

You should get a relay. Then you can use a lower circuit, like parking lights, as your signal lead to the relay. The relay will then pull power directly from the battery, and send it to the lights. Ultimately, the best way to run it is to a fuse block, and then you can have multiple things...but thats up to you.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 02:21:04 AM »
I have my voltmeter wired to the cable that feeds the headlight switch.
It's only live when the ignition is on but you will need to use either a cable tap, or else cut the wire, strip the ends, and solder back together with the voltmeter cable like I did.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 06:12:17 PM »
Thanks George: never thought about using any of the switchgear lives!
I think I could use anything for the meter, how about the headlamp 'pass/flash' live? Maybe use that for the led drl's  also, they will be on all of the time but are only 5W, should be straightforward....😁

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 08:21:41 AM »
(for the meter) pull it off one of the coil 12v power leads. Prior guy that had my red 2000 did that. and it will show you worst case scenario issues. wont even have to cut anything, just use a blade splitter adapter. most parts stores have these or similar on the electrical aisle.

I agree w the relay for the lights.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 12:09:27 PM »
Thanks George: never thought about using any of the switchgear lives!
I think I could use anything for the meter, how about the headlamp 'pass/flash' live? Maybe use that for the led drl's  also, they will be on all of the time but are only 5W, should be straightforward....😁
IMO....a dedicated fuse block is what is best for things like your DRL's, extra horns, power to extra power outlets  etc.....There are some that have switched and unswitched circuits and make extra elect items easier and cleaner to deal with. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
ive used a few fused relays. kinda 2 birds with one stone. (on the car i don't farkelize my bikes that much w electronics).

like this. of course you can reduce the fuse amperage to suit needs:

https://www.amazon.com/MagiDeal-Automotive-Fused-Relay-Normally/dp/B01GCNH1IM
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...