Author Topic: Temp gauge fluctuation cured  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Temp gauge fluctuation cured
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
For awhile now I've been watching my temp gauge flicker erratically, without any relation to bike speed, or fan operation.  I won't waste your time with the troubleshooting process, but I traced it to the really, really corroded wire connections at the back of the gauge itself.  There are three small screws that attach the wires.  I took them off and cleaned off the corrosion with a small Dremel wire wheel.  Fine sandpaper works, too.  If you need to do this, note that the electrical path is through the screw to the gauge, (the screw holds the wire to the plastic panel) so also clean the underside of the screw head and the lockwasher.  Also DO NOT remove all three screws at once, as they also serve as the mounting screws for the gauge, and it will fall into the instrument panel and flop around.  Take out one at a time and clean it and then replace it.  While you've got the whole panel out on your lap, do the same thing with your fuel gauge connections, as they are just the same.  Gauge is rock steady now. 

Oh, and don't forget to reattach your speedo cable before PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER!   >:(
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline m hanlen

Re: Temp gauge fluctuation cured
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
Thanks, good job.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:05 AM »
Also you can look for a loose connector at the T-Stat housing which is where the sensor is located to which it has nothing to do with the fan switch which is located on the left side of the radiator. Some folks have found a loose rivet causing a poor connection at these senders and switches and they can cause you all sorts of grief. The same can be said for your neutral light and indicator as well as any number of little switches on the bike such as side-stand, clutch interlock, brake switches etc. A good spritz with WD40 will prevent a lot of issues.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline dbethel

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
Thanks for the "heads up" on this issue.

D.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
Funny, I was noticing the temp gauge do it the other day. I was driving down the hwy and it was up and down....pulled over and checked it out only to find nothing wrong with actual temp.
Thanks, now I know where to look!

Offline mbrew

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
Also you can look for a loose connector at the T-Stat housing which is where the sensor is located to which it has nothing to do with the fan switch which is located on the left side of the radiator. Some folks have found a loose rivet causing a poor connection at these senders and switches and they can cause you all sorts of grief. The same can be said for your neutral light and indicator as well as any number of little switches on the bike such as side-stand, clutch interlock, brake switches etc. A good spritz with WD40 will prevent a lot of issues.

The rivet was loose on my bike and I fixed it just this week. I removed it and a couple of well placed raps with a punch and it was good as new.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
The rivet was loose on my bike and I fixed it just this week. I removed it and a couple of well placed raps with a punch and it was good as new.

that tab is a delicate spot....refrain from pounding to fix it.... a little dab of well placed solder will safely fix it, in lieu of buying a new one.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..