Author Topic: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments  (Read 36808 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Canyon cages
Front and Rear fender extender from Blue One. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.msg231049#msg231049
 Phil's Rack
Trunk
Mm10 lights
Skenedesign front and rear LEDs
Zumo mount
Radar detector mount
Cruise control
Sergeant seat with pod
MRA vario screen
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
Twowhwwladict, I'm interested in a GPS mount. I saw one in a photo that holds the GPS low and in the center of the bars.\

What type do you have?

JC, I started a form discussion some time back about tank protection. (asked WHAT OTHERS WERE USING)
 I can find it and send it to you to look over if you wish?

Ride safe, Ted

elp_jc

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
I put the Tankslapper film kit on my tank and fairing back when I first bought my bike. It works ok but offers zero grip for your knees. I now have the Techspec kit on the tank with the Tankslapper film on the bags.
I'm on the same boat. I don't really want just protection, but something that grips. May I ask which TechSpec kit you have? I'm more inclined to the thinner High-Fusion, but don't know how it grips compared to the SnakeSkin. Thx.

elp_jc

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
For a fender extender, I have the one from Murph. It is not a smooth one like your asking about, but it installs without drilling. You just need ABS cement and some clamps.
May I ask you if you've seen the Pyramid FendaExtenda and MotorcycleLarry (blueone) extender? The Pyramid will look the best, but it's just too short, so it's out of consideration. But between the 2 remaining, which do you rank better overall? Hopefully you have seen the other one by now, and compare it to yours. And also thank you for the clear tank protection you linked, but wanted plain, not with all that crap in there ;D. Take care.

elp_jc

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
And guess I should have said I'm done with the bike... FOR NOW ;D. Need to go for a ride, and I'm sure I'll have to address some issues. I have the Throttlemeister, and that's all I need as far as cruise control. I have a one-piece throttle-rocker that hope don't need on this bike, but will take it. The exhaust is done, but need to decide if the P1X insert is too quiet or just fine. Still have the P1 option, which is in the middle of P1X and nothing. Grip puppies are on too. Locking mechanism on storage compartment removed, and LEDs for the license-plate and 'city lights'. The seat could give me trouble, for what I experienced in my 45-minute ride home; we'll see. Curious about the stock vented screen too. Might keep it for future winter riding if I don't get deafening turbulence, but am looking forward to the CopperDawg one (it's going to take a few weeks to get done). And if I have any rideability issues in the twisties, would also think about removing the secondary butterflies, but hope not. I'd basically render traction-control useless, since that's how the ECU reduces power the most. Oh, and Ted, yeah, I'd like that thread please ;). Thank you to all for your awesome help. After that trip, will do an engine and final-drive oil changes... and search for suggestions on final-drive choices. I'll probably go with Valvoline motorcycle-specific 10/40, since I've only seen Mobil1 in 20/50. Have a great afternoon, and weekend ahead gang.

jirod

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
I'll probably go with Valvoline motorcycle-specific 10/40, since I've only seen Mobil1 in 20/50.
There is Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 full synthetic specifically for motorcycle engines. Will not damage the wet clutch. Check autozone or cycle gear. That's what I use. For the final drive I use Mobil 1 75W90. Ride safe!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
I'd basically render traction-control useless, since that's how the ECU reduces power the most.

Actually, the secondary flies are really just to smoothen the action of the traction control...the majority of the traction control "activity" will be in ignition and fuel control. There have been lots of C14 owner who have removed their secondary flies and report that traction control performs as advertised.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
would also think about removing the secondary butterflies, but hope not. I'd basically render traction-control useless, since that's how the ECU reduces power the most.

Actually, we have had quite a lot of discussion about that (in various other threads).  I believe the conclusion is that it might reduce the traction control smoothness some but it is certainly not essential and there is no real loss of functionality in the traction control system.  What it does for performance is quite nice.  And if you don't want to remove them, then there is the reflash of the ECU which ends up doing mostly the same thing, but without affecting their use for traction control at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
Twowhwwladict, I'm interested in a GPS mount. I saw one in a photo that holds the GPS low and in the center of the bars.\

What type do you have?

Ride safe, Ted

I have the RAM clutch reservoir mount.  I have a huge tank bag so down between the bars won't work for me.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »
whoahhhhhhhhhhh i gotaa apppoligizes...
man, gooodfunkinfunk.... I AM funkenstiein, and follow the old Dr, Funkenestiein... wowwwwwwowwooo
nicce....

Awwwllllll righty then...?  ??? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2015, 05:26:14 AM »
There is Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 full synthetic specifically for motorcycle engines. Will not damage the wet clutch. Check autozone or cycle gear. That's what I use. For the final drive I use Mobil 1 75W90. Ride safe!

A lot of us use this oil. Sometimes you can get a great price on it at Autozone and the like. Check Amazon too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
A lot of us use this oil. Sometimes you can get a great price on it at Autozone and the like. Check Amazon too.

One Wal-Mart in my vicinity carries it.  The manager must own a bike.  When I found it, I bought all 8 quarts on the shelf.  Their everyday price beat all the others sale prices.
My Concours Travels:

elp_jc

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2015, 01:56:10 AM »
I'll use the Mobil1 10/40 then; like it better than Valvoline. And since owner's manual doesn't list final drive oil weight, is the 75/90 called in the service manual for all climates? It gets hot here in TX. Would like to know if 75/140 was mentioned, and what temperature ranges. Otherwise it'll be M1 75/90, which is available locally at PepBoys. And will check Walmart for the M1 10/40; if not, AutoZone carries it for sure. Thank you for that recommendation.

Hey, on an unrelated subject, my bike has a paltry 1 (index) finger clearance between the front wheel and the chin spoiler. Is that normal on older bikes? I ask because I don't think Motorcycle Larry's long fender extender is going to clear. Might end up with the Pyramid FendaExtenda. Or maybe ProjektD's slightly longer one. With that little gap, I think stones are mostly going to hit the chin bar, and not go above it. I might have to take the Big Bend trip without that and radiator grille, and when I'm back, I'd know for sure what needs protection ;D. Thx.

Finally, took the bike for a 20+ mile ride today, and it was great. I really like this bike. The more restrictive P1X insert for the TBR pipe was perfect; don't want it any louder than that. It lacks the deep growl at idle, but sounds awesome under way; it's a compromise I'm happy to take. Throttlemeister worked perfectly, and looks stock (removed the red pinstripes). The grip puppies (grab-ons) are BY FAR the best mod on all my bikes, and a bargain at $15 or so shipped. Brakes are simply phenomenal, especially in feel and power. The only slight disappointment was the pegs are in the way to touch the ground, and that's why the 2015 seat didn't make any difference. But at the same time, they provide a less aggressive riding position, so I'm fine with that. Plus I can solidly put the balls of my feet, and being careful where I stop/park, should be enough to avoid joining the 'drop' club. Also feel a little more heat near my feet that I'd like (which is likely to get much worse in the hot summer), but hope it's not too bad. I only use the bike to travel to the twisties, so shouldn't be an issue for me. All in all, so far VERY pleased with my purchase. And already like it better than all of my previous BMWs :). Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

sailor_chic

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
If you like it now, just wait until you put some real miles on it. I think these bikes are like fine wine. They get better with time.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »
I would not go to the 75/140 gear lube.  As a human being, I know how that Texas heat is....Its unreal...but machines dont respond much to an extra 10-20 degrees ambient heat, or humidity. Normal weight is just fine. 

elp_jc

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
I would not go to the 75/140 gear lube.
Thank you. Will put 75/90 then. It's a little frustrating the owner's manual doesn't have that info, but it sounds about right. That reminds me need to buy a service manual. Will buy it along with the 2014 windscreen parts I need for the CopperDawg screen, and a couple of oil filters. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Hey, on an unrelated subject, my bike has a paltry 1 (index) finger clearance between the front wheel and the chin spoiler. Is that normal on older bikes? I ask because I don't think Motorcycle Larry's long fender extender is going to clear. Might end up with the Pyramid FendaExtenda. Or maybe ProjektD's slightly longer one. With that little gap, I think stones are mostly going to hit the chin bar, and not go above it. I might have to take the Big Bend trip without that and radiator grille, and when I'm back, I'd know for sure what needs protection ;D. Thx.

I've got the blue one (it's black, and from Canada) front fender extender on my 2010 and you are right it is very close (less than a finger but more than a pinky) to the chin bar but it fits. I checked the outside back of the extender (just for you jc  ;) ) and there are no scrape marks from hitting the chin bar. My chin bar is currently too dirty to see if it is also unmarked but I assume it is. I was just in Big Bend a few weeks ago and there was quite a bit of loose chip seal on F.M.170, but then there always is at the Lajitas end for some reason. It gets better towards the Big Hill (traveling west). Have a safe trip and take pictures for us.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
Earlier, you asked about a touch up paint that was good for the bike. The three part ones are easy to find, but up until today I had not found a good one part that worked.

I was at Walgreens with my granddaughter, and she stopped at the nail polish section.

I found one that is as close as you could professionally mix up. Its so close, I suspect someone copied someone ..even the metallic part is the same.

I did not choose the name the name...

Heres a link on Amazoon.com...http://www.amazon.com/Sinful-Colors-Professional-Polish-946/dp/B009ZNDK00

Its made by Sinful Colors and the name is "happy ending " number 946.

I put  a spot on a white envelope and matched it to my ninja.

elp_jc

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
I found one that is as close as you could professionally mix up. Heres a link on Amazoon.com...http://www.amazon.com/Sinful-Colors-Professional-Polish-946/dp/B009ZNDK00 Its made by Sinful Colors and the name is "happy ending " number 946.
Hey man, I already bought the spray can you suggested on post #49, but haven't tried it (maybe I need to, just to make sure it matches before I actually need it). That nail polish is pretty darn close indeed. Now we have 2 choices ;). Thank you for sharing that.

Will have to wait weeks for my custom radiator grille frame (I'll install fiberglass screening, instead of the metal grille) and fender extender, and don't want to take the bike on a trip without those 2 things. Plus CopperDawg sport screen is also going to take weeks due to the new green color. So have nothing to report. Will probably put some more local miles to at least get to 300 (now 74). Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 05:38:42 AM »
Hey man, I already bought the spray can you suggested on post #49, but haven't tried it (maybe I need to, just to make sure it matches before I actually need it). That nail polish is pretty darn close indeed. Now we have 2 choices ;). Thank you for sharing that.

Will have to wait weeks for my custom radiator grille frame (I'll install fiberglass screening, instead of the metal grille) and fender extender, and don't want to take the bike on a trip without those 2 things. Plus CopperDawg sport screen is also going to take weeks due to the new green color. So have nothing to report. Will probably put some more local miles to at least get to 300 (now 74). Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.

How is the fiberglass screen gonna protect your radiator from taking a hit?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn