Author Topic: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments  (Read 36753 times)

elp_jc

Re: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
Kawasaki uses candy lime on many of it's bikes.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Kawasaki used That color on many bikes.
Not disappointed of that at all buddy; not that kind of guy. I'm disappointed it's a TRI-COAT color, since it's very hard to match. And to obtain a ONE-STEP touch-up paint. Thank you for that link, but it's not what I'm looking for. Did you notice the 'requires base coat #1225' in bold, red letters? Useless for touch-ups.

And thank you all for the links to covers, but I'm looking for a full cover. Just like those though (thin and stretchy), but full coverage. Hope all of you had an awesome weekend 8).

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 05:06:16 AM »
Kawasaki uses candy lime on many of it's bikes. 

Yup, they sure did, and they've been using it for a long time too. My 2002 Kawi ZRX1200R was Candy Lime Green, and I know the ZX12R, ZX14, and several Kawi Vulcan models used that color as well.

For some reason, the one I saw looked very different. But knowing now it was an '08, probably lots of sun fade over the years. If it was 'Candy Lime Green', then it should be the exact identical color/process of my bike IMO.

Actually, it doesn't really work that way, not with Kawasaki at least. One would expect the colors to all be exactly the same, but they're not....it's the nature of pearl paints. Once you see a couple identical color and model bikes side by side, you will see differences. Kawasaki will actually list some of these pearl paints as "Factory Variance Colors"....which means if you buy a replacement painted panel, it is not necessarily guaranteed to match your bike. I bought a Kawi ZX10R brand new back in 2005 and it was "Pearl Magma Red", and there were a few of them around my area at the time, and they all looked just a little bit different. The standard Kawi lime green on the other hand...even though there are different shades of that, they are very easy to match and a whole row of those bikes will all look identical.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 05:17:37 AM »
Thank you for that link, but it's not what I'm looking for. Did you notice the 'requires base coat #1225' in bold, red letters? Useless for touch-ups.

Actually, that link IS what you're looking for if you want to buy touch-up paint for your bike....you can't buy it from Kawasaki.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »
Slightly off topic....(wow there's a surprise) ..but elpjc, what color is the rear shock and spring on your '15?... black and silver respectively as in previous years or something different?

I've been comparing part numbers of the rear springs across the years trying to determine if there is actually a new spring shock combo on the '15 or just a new color and or new preload setting from the factory. Comparing the owner's manuals gets confusing and tedious. The '14 manual says 13 clicks is standard and the '15 says 10 clicks is standard. Reading the manual is somewhat confusing as to which way to turn it, but going by other posts I've seen it would seem that more clicks clockwise from fully counter clockwise would increase preload. This would indicate that the'15 does in fact really have a new spring as opposed to the same rear spring with more preload dialed in from the factory, since 3 fewer clicks would mean less preload for the same spring. ?????? ..or have I screwed this up entirely.  :-\

One thing to note is that the plastic removal directions to get to the air cleaner are much better in the '15 Owner's manual than in previous years so newbs without a shop manual or Fred's videos should probably look there for clearer instructions.

elp_jc

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Actually, that link IS what you're looking for if you want to buy touch-up paint for your bike.
Yeah, I know. But it's absolutely useless for rock chips and such. I tried it before on a car, and looked awful. Better than white primer, but not even close. The 'base' coat alone would fill the chip. Then you need to apply the top coat. And then a tinted clear. Can't do that on a freaking chip. The only solution is to just apply the top coat, but it definitely wouldn't match the paint. But if I get a chip that bothers me, and this bike also has a white or black primer, will reluctantly buy it so it looks better than white or black. Thanks again for your help.

elp_jc

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »
what color is the rear shock and spring on your '15?... black and silver respectively as in previous years or something different?
Happy to help. The shock is dark gray, and the spring dark metallic (flaky) gray. That doesn't necessarily mean they're different. They could be the same, but the preload mechanism definitely changed. Remember the preload setting for 2014 is 13 out of 28 'clicks'. My 2015 is 10 out of 24 clicks. So it could be that the preload just ramps up quicker, since if you get both ratios, are almost the same. The only way to find out for sure would be knowing the spring ratio. Is there a way to know that? Since the preload changed, the p/n probably changed too, but that doesn't mean the shock and spring did. Hope this helps a little.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
I have the candy lime green on my 2012 Ninja 1000.  One of the British companies sold me some touch up paint for it, and yea....yea....Da Vinci might succeed in using it. Maybe...

Three bottles.  The base green does match, but it requires the metalflake, then the top coat....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
Hope this helps a little.

Yes I think that does, thank you.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
Another touch up option is using The Model company, Tamiya ts52 spray paint. Its very close, fi nto identical. Spray some on a piece of paper, then find a small brush.  Its way easier thna the three bottle system everyone else has.

elp_jc

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »
Another touch up option is using The Model company, Tamiya TS52 spray paint. Its very close. Spray some on a piece of paper, then find a small brush. Its way easier than the three bottle system everyone else has.
Awesome find. I already ordered one. I always prefer spray paint, and do what you suggested for small chips. And if you want to paint a small part or a larger touch-up, you can do it. Many thanks.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
Another touch up option is using The Model company, Tamiya ts52 spray paint. Its very close, fi nto identical. Spray some on a piece of paper, then find a small brush.  Its way easier thna the three bottle system everyone else has.

I used that to paint the 'orange' trim on my JCWhitney "GIVI" knockoff trunk.  Worked very well and matched the KLR nicely.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

elp_jc

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 12:25:37 AM »
Hey gang, few questions, if you can help:

1. Want to buy tank/fairing knee protectors, but prefer clear. Anybody with first-hand experience with any in the Connie? So far TechSpec doesn't make them for the Connie, and StompGrip are hard as a rock, too big, and uncomfortable as hell, so never again (had them on the K1300S). If there isn't any others, will leave the factory black tank pad in place, and just buy the other 5 pads from TechSpec in High-Fusion, since they should last longer, for what I've read ($75 for those 5 pads; website doesn't have them anymore except in a combo with the bags).

2. I also want a fender extender, but want it to more or less match the smooth plastic of the lower section, since it'd be right next to it. So the only such options are the Pyramid FendaExtenda or the one sold by ProjektD, which seems a bit longer. Any personal experience with that one? I'd get if for $10 with the order of a radiator grille, which I'll get but without the rivet holes or insert (I'll install fiberglass screening instead). The only bad news is I'd have to wait until end of Feb to get the radiator grille frame the way I want it (plus shipping time).

After those 3 items, I'll be pretty much done with the bike, except the screen (waiting for paint sample from CopperDawg). Oh, and a full-coverage dust (indoor) cover too, but will have to try my luck with that one. Thank you again for all the help. Will take pics of the mods one of these days.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 05:26:38 AM »
Hey gang, few questions, if you can help:

1. Want to buy tank/fairing knee protectors, but prefer clear.

Kawasaki actually sells clear tank protector pads...but they're only available in the European market (as far as I know). They're often on Ebay in the UK...see links below. Kawasaki also sells clear covers for the side cases in Europe as well...or panniers as they call them on the other side of the Atlantic.

I don't like the Stomp-grip pads myself unless they're on a track bike. I've installed the Tech-Spec pads on both C14's and I quite like the product, but they're certainly not clear.

OEM clear pads:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GTR1400-2010-2011-Genuine-Kawasaki-Tank-Pad-/281525954465?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item418c4127a1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-KAWASAKI-1400GTR-GTR1400-GTR-TANK-PAD-PROTECTOR-SET-168TPT0032-/381057379120?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item58b8ca2b30

sailor_chic

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »
I have this tank protection on my C14  https://thetankslapper.biz/oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=154   

I have not installed all of this on my bike yet. I am thinking of getting some pin stripping first.
Granted the headlight protection is somewhat difficult to install, but it is very nice once it is on. They also have a kit that has saddle bag protection.

For a fender extender, I have the one from Murph. It is not a smooth one like your asking about, but it installs without drilling. You just need ABS cement and some clamps.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 05:36:42 AM »
I have this tank protection on my C14  https://thetankslapper.biz/oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=154   I have not installed all of this on my bike yet. I am thinking of getting some pin stripping first.
Granted the headlight protection is somewhat difficult to install, but it is very nice once it is on. They also have a kit that has saddle bag protection.

I put the Tankslapper film kit on my tank and fairing back when I first bought my bike. It works ok but offers zero grip for your knees. I now have the Techspec kit on the tank with the Tankslapper film on the bags.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:58 AM »
After those 3 items, I'll be pretty much done with the bike

So you think :)   For example- have seen no mention of removal/disable of secondary butterflies...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »
For some reason, only half of what I wrote in my post above shows up. I tried to edit it, but it wont.

I have not installed all of this tank slapper on my bike yet. I am thinking of getting some pin stripping first.

For a fender extender, I have the one from Murph. It is not a smooth one like your asking about, but it installs without drilling. You just need ABS cement and some clamps.

So you think :)   For example- have seen no mention of removal/disable of secondary butterflies...

Or a seat, or exhaust, cruise control, GPS, tires.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 05:46:36 AM »

Or a seat, or exhaust, cruise control, GPS, tires.

YUP!....Cruise Control is a must have for me....if you do any traveling, it sure is nice.

Rem

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »

After those 3 items, I'll be pretty much done with the bike,

No rack or top case?

Supplemental lighting?

Highway pegs?

Tip over protection?

Just curious because my bike has a few  "additions" and I can hardly wait to do more to make it more user friendly/ comfortable.
Generally speaking, I tend to change and or modify all of my motorcycles to suit my tastes and needs.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
YUP!....Cruise Control is a must have for me....if you do any traveling, it sure is nice.

Rem

I put a Rostra CC on my C14 and love it but do not use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I only use it when solo on long trips. Most of the time I'm in traffic or in twisties or with someone else who doesn't have it.