Author Topic: Oxidation  (Read 9968 times)

Offline Mighty

Re: Oxidation
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
sounds like I maybe taking it to the extreme however I am just like that :)

Anyone use 303 Protectant? I have heard great things about it.
Absolutely the best stuff on the planet! My 1993 Mariah boat looks like new.  I use it on the fiberglass and upolstry.  An independent lab tested it a few years ago and said it was the only stuff on the market that actually protected what you applied it to. Widely used in the RV and boating industry.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
   Just curious how does a co-worker "play" on your bike?

Mike

Apparently like a little kid would : Jumps on it, grabs the handlebars, and goes "Vroom, VRoom. VROOM!!!".

I only found out because someone thought the red blinking light indicated they had set off an alarm, and wondered if it paged me.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
  Wow I have 4 grandkids (steps 2-7.....I am 29) and they always wanna sit on papas bike......I swear I didnt know about "4-ways) till the rats turned em on for me to find later :).

Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 04:58:16 AM »
  Wow I have 4 grandkids (steps 2-7.....I am 29) and they always wanna sit on papas bike......I swear I didnt know about "4-ways) till the rats turned em on for me to find later :).

Say what? Were you like 8 years old when you had your first child or what?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline okxd45

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
303 comes highly recommended by many sources.  I just started using it on my Cycle Shell http://www.cycleshell.com/ because they recommended it.  Too soon to know anything, but will let you know in 5 years or so :)

Which 303 product do you use on the cycle shell?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
Which 303 product do you use on the cycle shell?

Well, now that IS a discussion.  I simply could not get anyone to tell me which.  I bought a GALLON of the stuff from Amazon labeled "303 Aerospace Protectant".  They sell something else for fabric called "303 High Tech Fabric Guard), but the Cycle Shell is supposed to be vinyl coated fibers or outer, so this seemed like it was the right stuff.

I used a high-volume hand spray bottle.  It went on easy, although it did seem to absorb it some.  Wiped off the (little) excess per the instructions.  It dried pretty quickly, it did not discolor or stain.  I tested after and it is still water repelling.  I used about 1/2 quart to cover the whole thing.  I think the next time, it won't use quite as much.

It says on the instructions "Not for fabrics (canvas)" but this is not really a fabric nor canvas.  I hope I am using the correct stuff.  Only time well tell now...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
Well, now that IS a discussion.  I simply could not get anyone to tell me which.  I bought a GALLON of the stuff from Amazon labeled "303 Aerospace Protectant".  They sell something else for fabric called "303 High Tech Fabric Guard), but the Cycle Shell is supposed to be vinyl coated fibers or outer, so this seemed like it was the right stuff.

I used a high-volume hand spray bottle.  It went on easy, although it did seem to absorb it some.  Wiped off the (little) excess per the instructions.  It dried pretty quickly, it did not discolor or stain.  I tested after and it is still water repelling.  I used about 1/2 quart to cover the whole thing.  I think the next time, it won't use quite as much.

It says on the instructions "Not for fabrics (canvas)" but this is not really a fabric nor canvas.  I hope I am using the correct stuff.  Only time well tell now...

I guess that will help when you launch the bike into outer space...  Keep it looking nice.   ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 07:03:23 PM »

Well.................maybe I'll send an email to ol' Mark form cycleshell.  I'll let you know what he has to say.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »

Pull back the covers...  ;)

:-*   :)

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
I think she looks better with heels...wait I mean better tires!  :-[
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
Nothing!  Just ride da **** out of the bike and sell it.  Are you keeping it for life?  If not, forget bout' it!   :o

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
Also don't be afraid to off-road your bike, even in the extreme desert Tundra. That was AZ. ADV for the win

In Roswell tonight chasing aliens with my C14.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
So since my last bike had little to no plastic on it, the first thing I noticed was the massive amounts of black plastic on my C14....I bought a cover and wondered if I should start covering it every day to try and keep the sun from killing it ???

In addition I bought some black magic plastic and vinyl treatment, suppose to work against UV rays, etc...just wondering what everyone else is using/doing to keep the black from drying out and becoming oxidized?

I understand your concerns. I had an '85 Honda Magna 3 months in the garden with no caver whatsoever, and the paint afterwards was clearly faded  >:(
I never left a bike outside for longer than strictly necessary after that experience. My 1400GTR now has three possibilities:
1. she's in the garage at home,
2. she's in the garage at work (big company with special MC garage, ventilated, surveillance cameras, etc.),
3. she's with me, rolling.
If I do some errands and such, I try parking her on the shadow of the buildings if possible. I don't think she has been more than a few hours really static under the sun since I bought it 30 months ago. And it's not just because I became paranoic  :o. The black painted plastic get's HOT, cracks and whatnot, and I'm planning to keep this bike for looooong while.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:35 AM »
Also don't be afraid to off-road your bike, even in the extreme desert Tundra. That was AZ. ADV for the win

In Roswell tonight chasing aliens with my C14.

Great pic Steve!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Shoe

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 07:16:03 AM »
If my bike is going to be sitting in the hot sun for more than an hour, I put my nelson rigg uv 2000 cover on it. It's very reflective and keeps the bike cool plus it keeps prying eyes off it as well.

Not my bike but you get the idea.

I agree about the cover keeping the bike cool. Remember that some colors fade more than others. Red is especially susceptible to fading. So if you don't cover the fender it will soon be faded and the rest of the bike will not. This may be an issue when you sell the bike.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
Like I said before, ride the **** out of it and buy a new one!  I'm sure the 2014 Kawasaki C17 would be more AWESOME!
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville