Author Topic: Liquid Crystal Display problem?  (Read 8487 times)

Offline davidnixon

Liquid Crystal Display problem?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
hopped on my 09 after work and noticed the LCD display was not working normally -  hard to see the text and images as they were very light.  It seems to have come back to normal on the trip home.  no unusual environmental factors to consider - 80 degrees w/ 30 % humidity.  Has anyone experienced similar?

Thx,

Dave
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Liquid Crystal Display problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
If the LCD gets hot it will lose contrast. It happens occasionally when the bike sits so the LCD display is in the sun or the temps. are very high. The contrast returns as the temperature drops.

This is a characteristic of LCDs themselves and has nothing to do with the C-14 itself. Any / all LCD displays will act this way when hot.

Nothing to worry about and there is no long term damage after the display cools down.

Brian

hopped on my 09 after work and noticed the LCD display was not working normally -  hard to see the text and images as they were very light.  It seems to have come back to normal on the trip home.  no unusual environmental factors to consider - 80 degrees w/ 30 % humidity.  Has anyone experienced similar?

Thx,

Dave
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
happened to me after sitting in hot sun for a couple hours.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
Happened to me also. I toss my gloves over the display when I park in the sun.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »

It may have been only 80 degrees air temp when you LEFT work, but it might have been higher earlier.  But more importantly, if the screen were in direct sunlight, it will get a lot hotter than the air temp... your butt should prove that when you sit on your seat :)

Like Brian said- it is normal for all LCD's.  If you find it to be a problem, then cover the dash with something light colored when you park it at work!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
Thanks all for the inforamative replies - I think the key factor must have been the angle of the sun versus the actual ambient which was a high of 80 here at 7,000' ASL.   Does anyone use a full bike cover and if so what brand?

Dave
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »
Thanks all for the inforamative replies - I think the key factor must have been the angle of the sun versus the actual ambient which was a high of 80 here at 7,000' ASL.   Does anyone use a full bike cover and if so what brand?

Dave

The Nelson Rigg UV-2000 in XL works great. It's very reflective and keeps the bike cool. It's actually a more reflective than this pic would suggest and fits better too.

Not my bike but it's the cover that I use at work. As a matter of fact, gotta go cover her up now.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
Does anyone use a full bike cover and if so what brand?

I find the Laminar KwiKover very handy.  Pulls out of the pouch mounted at the rear of the seat.  Stretchy silver fabric, and can cover the display.  When ready to ride, just fold it back into the pouch, zip, and ride.
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »
Steve - me likes
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

Offline xjrguy

• LA Speed Garage
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
I had an FJR1300 for 5 years which had LCD and never had this problem.

Just bought a 2011 BMW S1000RR that also has an LCD dash panel and it too does not fade after sitting in the parking lot all day at work. (Los Angeles so it's hot and sunny all day)

My 2010 C14 has been the only vehicle that has exhibited this problem.

Methinks they just cheaped out on the LCD display on this motorcycle or it is a defect.
1972 Lincoln Continental Coupe
2010 GT500 and 2010 SVT Raptor
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
2011 BMW S1000RR ABS/DTC/SA

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
I had an FJR1300 for 5 years which had LCD and never had this problem.

Just bought a 2011 BMW S1000RR that also has an LCD dash panel and it too does not fade after sitting in the parking lot all day at work. (Los Angeles so it's hot and sunny all day)

My 2010 C14 has been the only vehicle that has exhibited this problem.

Methinks they just cheaped out on the LCD display on this motorcycle or it is a defect.

I had about most brands under the sun and never had a bike go >41,000 miles with not a single "issue". But hey, I'm still not sold on Kwak, I'd had the worst of luck with this brand in the past of any.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline xjrguy

• LA Speed Garage
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
My tach and speedo needles slightly melted too. Happened with stock and aftermarket windshield.

Never had that issue on any previous or current (other than C14) bike before.

I've got the Kawasaki warranty, but from what I understand if you replace the gauge cluster your miles go back to 0.

Haven't warrantied the LCD fading issue or the needles yet. Hoping that Kawasaki gets a better supplier for their LCD panels and gauge package.

These relatively minor (but annoying) niggles have been the only fault of the bike (for me) so far.
1972 Lincoln Continental Coupe
2010 GT500 and 2010 SVT Raptor
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
2011 BMW S1000RR ABS/DTC/SA

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 04:47:26 AM »
My tach and speedo needles slightly melted too. Happened with stock and aftermarket windshield.

Never had that issue on any previous or current (other than C14) bike before.

I've got the Kawasaki warranty, but from what I understand if you replace the gauge cluster your miles go back to 0.

Haven't warrantied the LCD fading issue or the needles yet. Hoping that Kawasaki gets a better supplier for their LCD panels and gauge package.These relatively minor (but annoying) niggles have been the only fault of the bike (for me) so far.

Don't hold your breath while you wait.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
This happened to me today for the first time.  My bike was sitting out in the parking lot at work and it was sunny this afternoon, but no different than any other day this summer, in fact it was much cooler today compared to our "miserable" Wisconsin summer in the 80's and 90's.   Maybe it was the smoke blowing all the way over to Green Bay from the wild fires in Minnesota...

It came back to normal within 5 minutes of riding and I just checked a bit ago and all is well now.  Definitely had me freaking out until I checked the posts here.  I have never seen this on any of my other bikes either - but I've never had a display with this much detail on it before either so who knows.  I'm just glad I'm not the only one and it goes away!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:08 PM »
Let me echo what others have already said.  I've had my C14 for almost 15 months.  That includes 2 (almost) Georgia summers.  I've parked in the sun literally dozens of times.  In all that time, my LCD display only faded out one time, and it wasn't even the hottest day by a long shot.  I suspect it has something to do with the angle of the sun, the position of the bike relative to the sun, and other variables.  When everything lines up just right, the display gets super-heated and fades out.  I'm working on a "mini-cover" out of that silver nylon material that will cover only the windshield, guages and handlebars.  Should be small enough to stuff into the glove box.   I agree with many here that most LCD displays would (or could) fade out under the hot sun.  The fact that some other bike hasn't done this for some other owner (yet) only reflects my own experience with the C14 on all the rides except that one.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »
Let me echo what others have already said.  I've had my C14 for almost 15 months.  That includes 2 (almost) Georgia summers.  I've parked in the sun literally dozens of times.  In all that time, my LCD display only faded out one time, and it wasn't even the hottest day by a long shot.  I suspect it has something to do with the angle of the sun, the position of the bike relative to the sun, and other variables.  When everything lines up just right, the display gets super-heated and fades out.  I'm working on a "mini-cover" out of that silver nylon material that will cover only the windshield, guages and handlebars.  Should be small enough to stuff into the glove box.   I agree with many here that most LCD displays would (or could) fade out under the hot sun.  The fact that some other bike hasn't done this for some other owner (yet) only reflects my own experience with the C14 on all the rides except that one.

It could also be a less than stellar batch of screens that Kwak outsourced.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
Mine has done the fade out a few times as well. Lack of quality/quality control on the part of Kawi. Lowest bidder more than likely. It's annoying, but I don't worry about it.

Offline Beamer

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »
I had a 2005 Yamaha Rx-1 (Snowmobile) with a LCD display, and on certain days the sun would fade out the LCD on it.