Author Topic: Which AirHawk should I buy to go with my new Corbin for a 2009 C-14?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Tabasco Powered

I have a 2009 C-14 (yes, the slower Red one) and I finally talked myself into throwing down for a heated Corbin front and non-heated Corbin passenger. My girlfriend and I are taking a trip up through Avenue of the Giants in mid-July and I want to make sure we're comfy. What size AirHawks should I get for us (I think I need the Medium Cruiser for the front and the Small Pillion for her.  Does anyone know which units I should get?

Thanks!
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Offline curly

Re: Which AirHawk should I buy to go with my new Corbin for a 2009 C-14?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
I answered you in another post but I'm about positive mine is the medium.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Wilsonos2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
How small is it when all the air is out of it. Looks great to leave in the saddle bag and get it out when needed.
2009 Concours 14 Black. Area P slip-on, KN Filter, PC5, Flies Removed.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
They are not all that small, and there is the cover that also will take up some space. You certainly could carry a medium Airhawk, cover and straps in a saddlebag but I think it is easier to just carry one around on the saddle :-)  Really, if you had two pair of glasses, and one was OK but not great and the other pair was excellent, when and why would you ever choose to wear the 'just OK' ones? An Airhawk on top of a Corbin is hienie nirvana for me and I cannot imagine why I would only use the Airhawk sometimes.

I have no connection to Airhawk or the company that makes them, Roho, just a big fan of the product.

Brian

How small is it when all the air is out of it. Looks great to leave in the saddle bag and get it out when needed.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
Yep, the medium cruiser and the small pillion fit very well. The large cruiser ends up banging into and folding up onto the fuel tank as it is too long for a Corbin but it is not any wider than the medium so provides no more comfort.

It seems all of us that use Airhawks start out by disliking them because we overfill them. Hey, it is an air cushion pad so a LOT of air would make a better cushion, right? What happens is that you end up sitting on what feels like a beach ball and get pretty unstable in the saddle. It takes a while to figure out but you want just enough air in the cushion to float you <just> off the saddle. Unfortunately the motorcycle cushions do not come with any type of air filling unit (most of the other cushions do) so it becomes a guessing game as to 1) how much air is in the cushion and 2) how much you are going to add or subtract. What I do is to fill the cushion too full, allow it to settle down with the valve open, and then crush some of the cells down and close the valve. If you want more air, do the same process again but squeeze the air out of a smaller number of cells; if you want less, again overfill the cushion and squeeze the air out of more cells than previously. At least this gives you some method to get a known and controlled quantity of air in the cushion and adjust it in reasonable steps. My cushion works best for me with 1/2 of the cells without air, the rest just filled to the natural state (where they end up if you leave the cushion sitting on a flat surface with the valve open after overfilling it).

Brian

I have a 2009 C-14 (yes, the slower Red one) and I finally talked myself into throwing down for a heated Corbin front and non-heated Corbin passenger. My girlfriend and I are taking a trip up through Avenue of the Giants in mid-July and I want to make sure we're comfy. What size AirHawks should I get for us (I think I need the Medium Cruiser for the front and the Small Pillion for her.  Does anyone know which units I should get?

Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »

It seems all of us that use Airhawks start out by disliking them because we overfill them. Hey, it is an air cushion pad so a LOT of air would make a better cushion, right? What happens is that you end up sitting on what feels like a beach ball and get pretty unstable in the saddle. It takes a while to figure out but you want just enough air in the cushion to float you <just> off the saddle.

Brian

Great point Brian.

Offline BigTwin996

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
I have the AirHawk R with a Corbin and I LOVE that thing! I also second with B.D.F said, you need very little air. I let a friend of mine use it today on his Ducati Multistrada 1200 and when he put it on the bike and pushed on it with his hand he said  "this thing needs air". I said  "just sit on it and enjoy" and he did both, he sat and he really enjoyed the ride. He had it for about 30 miles and that was enough for him to say "I've got to have one of those." I've also found that it might feel perfect in the morning but, as it gets hotter out and the air expands and you need to make adjustments. Just my 2 cents!  ;D

Offline Wilsonos2

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
Ordered the Airhawk R, looking forward to it.
2009 Concours 14 Black. Area P slip-on, KN Filter, PC5, Flies Removed.

Offline danl

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
I have a medium AH that I got used from a Vulcan forum (had it for my VN1600). It worked well on the Vulcan, but on the Connie, I find that I can feel the inflation nozzle poking in my backside. Maybe it's how the air distributes between the different seating positions, but it's basically made it unusable for me. At 1st I thought it was a zipper on my pants or a seam or something and then realized it was the nozzle.

Anyone have any issues like this? Solutions if you did? I loved the hawk and would like to use it on the long rides. For now I've gone back to my home made taxi cab beads.