Author Topic: Snakes, dogs and Zumos.... they all bite.  (Read 6298 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Snakes, dogs and Zumos.... they all bite.
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
And today it was the Zumo. A couple of weeks ago my back-up GPS on the bike, a Nuvi 765T had the connector to cradle connection fail. So the bike is down to wearing only the Zumo. Today, after lunch and at the start of a group ride through back roads, my Zumo 550 showed me a map screen with a blinking question mark (indicating it did not know where it was) and the message "Acquiring satellites" for  over an hour. I ended up heading to the next destination (hand made ice cream) using major secondary roads WHEN SUDDENLY my wife chimed in with detail directions using her iPhone. It was a little clunky but worked well enough- she directed me to the next turn over the intercom while viewing Google maps and the on- board GPS receiver.

After arriving at the destination, it miraculously healed, found out where it was and ended the trip 'cause we were there.

Vehicle navigation GPSs are wonderful things but they are not reliable if you are really counting on them to get somewhere, especially 'right now'. And that is why I always carry two with me when traveling locally and three on long distance rides.

If only someone made a GPS with KiPass....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
Re: Snakes, dogs and Zumos.... they all bite.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
If mine breaks, I buy a map.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:04:32 AM by fred-houston »
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
What is this 'map' thing you speak of?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »

it's one of those failsafe paper geological reference information sheets that is looked at / studied with a fresh cup of coffee & a yellow highlighter late in the evening and/or early in the a.m. before a ride starts! ;D
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Sly

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »

Must be something like a « key » obviously an antiquity  :rotflmao:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »

Must be something like a « key » obviously an antiquity  :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:
That's pretty good Sly. Is it OK if I use that?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:11:37 AM »
And today it was the Zumo. A couple of weeks ago my back-up GPS on the bike, a Nuvi 765T had the connector to cradle connection fail. So the bike is down to wearing only the Zumo. Today, after lunch and at the start of a group ride through back roads, my Zumo 550 showed me a map screen with a blinking question mark (indicating it did not know where it was) and the message "Acquiring satellites" for  over an hour. I ended up heading to the next destination (hand made ice cream) using major secondary roads WHEN SUDDENLY my wife chimed in with detail directions using her iPhone. It was a little clunky but worked well enough- she directed me to the next turn over the intercom while viewing Google maps and the on- board GPS receiver.

After arriving at the destination, it miraculously healed, found out where it was and ended the trip 'cause we were there.

Vehicle navigation GPSs are wonderful things but they are not reliable if you are really counting on them to get somewhere, especially 'right now'. And that is why I always carry two with me when traveling locally and three on long distance rides.

If only someone made a GPS with KiPass....

Brian

My condolences on the loss of your electronics, Brian.

You seem to have left out the most important part of the story though. The ice cream, how was it?   :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »
it's one of those failsafe paper geological reference information sheets that is looked at / studied with a fresh cup of coffee & a yellow highlighter late in the evening and/or early in the a.m. before a ride starts! ;D
Can I use this map thingie even if I...shudder...don't drink coffee? Will it also work with iced tea, or am I just gonna have to stay home?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
Can I use this map thingie even if I...shudder...don't drink coffee? Will it also work with iced tea, or am I just gonna have to stay home?

As long as it's not sweet tea, you're safe to carry on.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »
I like sweet southern tea.  Like hot English tea (sweet of course) as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »
I like sweet southern tea.  Like hot English tea (sweet of course) as well.

I don't like sweet southern tea. I'm more of a northern tea drinker myself.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:19:35 AM »
All is well. I'll be able to ride again this year. I DO NOT take my tea with sugar. If I did I might as well be drinking pop. I don't drink pop.           
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »
All is well. I'll be able to ride again this year. I DO NOT take my tea with sugar. If I did I might as well be drinking pop. I don't drink pop.         

You may not drink it but thanks for using the proper term. Pop.    :D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »
We call them drinks down here...  Tea without sugar.... :yikes: :nuts: :thumbdown :censored:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
You need to do a hardware boot when that happens on a Zumo.
It is not the same as turning it off and on.
Hold the 3 corner buttons down for 5 seconds. Top left, bottom left and bottom right
Also go online and make sure your Zumo has the lastest updates.
Sometimes the pins get corroded or in my case the pads are worn out. I had to buy  special silver paint (pen) and re-coat the pads.
The cause of worn out pads on my Zumo is due to my C10  which vibrates the crap out of anything mounted to the handlebars.
Yours are probably just oxidized.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »
The ice cream was excellent. Local place, makes their own. It is a little on the hard side (easy boys!) and quite dense, not like most major brands at all with their high air content. And I had a flavor that until recently was very local only- coffee ice cream in a hot fudge sundae. Almost couldn't finish it (just had lunch and ate too much there too) but tenacity is trait of mine.  :rotflmao:

The GPS thingy is a bit too bad and has me somewhat befuddled. I have seriously considered buyng another Zumo 550 (to add to the one I already have) but they command a lot of money used and I am really wary of how long Garmin will support them. The new Garmin motorcycle GPS's do not have any buttons and that, combined with [less bright] screens (really, what is up with that?) is pushing me away, especially since they cost between $650 and $800. BMW sells what amounts to a Garmin with a sub- plate that has four buttons on the left, looks pretty good but is $900 and that just ain't gonna' happen. So that brings us to a tablet or small notebook that is sunlight readable. That is looking more and more like the way to go; a Windows based, sunlight readable tablet that will serve as an MP3 player, Bluetooth with a cell phone and work as both a GPS and a TRUE route planner using Streets and Trips with a GPS receiver. Still expensive, and not waterproof but that is addressable and at least it is a flexible solution.

Sigh....

Brian

My condolences on the loss of your electronics, Brian.

You seem to have left out the most important part of the story though. The ice cream, how was it?   :P
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad