Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 158807 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2022, 11:46:45 AM »
It has been a while since we have made a batch of these, and it seemed interest was dying down. W/in the last few days I received a query if it would work on a Kawasaki Vaquero, and it looks like they will work on that bike too. So we are going to put a batch together shortly, probably this weekend.

I also have to update the web page as there is really no information there; the page was only put up as an easy way to take orders and keep track of stock. But now people are finding the page on thier own with no previous knowledge of the products, so an update and expansion should be done.

I have noticed that some folks are saying the display eliminator can be installed in a half- hour. Not sure how this happened but quite a few customers have actually unfastened the fuel tank and raised the back of it to install this device. That is absolutely, 100% unnecessary- there is more than enough room behind the tank to catch and pull the wiring up behind the tank and install the device. At most, two of the rubber hoses <may> have to be pulled off to produce sufficient room to install the device. There is a clip on the rear of the fuel tank that the wire harnesses run through so the wires are always visible and provide an easy way to lift them up above the tank. This is how Kawasaki intended the fuel tank be disconnected and left plenty of wire to accomplish this- the same procedure works to install the device without moving the fuel tank at all.

So apologies for not having any product, and we appreciate the patience in waiting for new ones. Again, I hope to have some by Monday and will make them available even if the web page is not updated by that time.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2022, 04:51:29 PM »
Finally have a few of these in-hand but they are all going to people who asked for them a while back. Making more tomorrow so there should be plenty of product then.

Thanks for your patience.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2022, 06:01:12 AM »
Thanks, Brian.  Good to see you post.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2022, 11:01:33 AM »
I stop by pretty often but do not have anything to add so.... I do not post :-) Otherwise it seems the usual suspects are here and apparently doing well, so that is a fine thing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2022, 04:32:44 PM »
OK, it took a while but I finally have some of these on hand, ready to ship. The people on the 'want list' have gotten one if they still wanted it and there are some up for grabs.

For the moment the easiest way if for anyone who wants one of these to e-mail me at the e-mail address in the footer of this post. The usual way to purchase is through PayPal but other arrangements can be made if that does not work for someone. They ship out the next business day.

Next I am going to work on my website, both to fix the broken link to PayPal but especially to expand it including a thorough description and some photos.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Brian

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2022, 03:27:34 PM »
BDF, are these available? How do we contact you?
IBA #18591

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2022, 04:08:51 PM »
Yes, just give me a shout via e-mail. It should be in the header of all my posts in the form of an envelope icon. I have them in stock.

Thanks for the interest.

BDF, are these available? How do we contact you?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »
B.D.F., I think my reserve fuel switch failed. Will that cause the range remaining to work, but the fuel level bars flash up and down?
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2022, 04:06:29 PM »
Yes, just give me a shout via e-mail. It should be in the header of all my posts in the form of an envelope icon. I have them in stock.

Thanks for the interest.

Email sent, if not received please send an email with PP address to my zrxmitch at aol.com
IBA #18591

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2022, 07:45:40 PM »
I am not sure of the various failure modes but it is easy enough to test: remove my circuit and see how the bike acts without it. If it acts normally, send me the circuit for repair or replacement and I will get one back to you in a few days.

I am not aware of any having failed in the field and cannot really imagine unless physically twisted or bent during installation, or not being fully plugged in. Otherwise, if it is defective, I would really like to have it in my possession for evaulation and to find the exact problem.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions, thoughts or anything else. E-mail works best initially and after that perhaps a phone call.

B.D.F., I think my reserve fuel switch failed. Will that cause the range remaining to work, but the fuel level bars flash up and down?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2022, 07:46:49 PM »
Got both e-mails and have responded via e-mail.

Email sent, if not received please send an email with PP address to my zrxmitch at aol.com

Offline B.D.F.

Have you gotten anywhere with your flashing fuel bars. As  I have not heard anything I thought perhaps you had found the problem?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
I don’t have your gizmo installed for that. Just your kipass bypass. And it’s been doing that.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
BDF, do you happen to know what a good resistance value for the reserve fuel circuit is, when there's plenty of fuel in it?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I will mention my fuel gauge issue as it is different. My gauge is erratic. Often I will fill up to the very brim but the gauge will not display the top bar when I crank up. Then 10 or 20 miles down the road the top bar will appear. Later in the tank range the gauge will show empty although I know I have half a tank left. I do have Brian's low fuel eliminator.
Modify message

The above was copied and pasted from my post in the TPS alternative thread.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

Not offhand. The circuit uses a pulsed current method which is really quite clever. Also why I fried several low fuel warning developing a safe and gentle- on- the- bike method to shut it down. I hate to even say this but I believe my low fuel range eliminator will cure the problem with your bike. I do not like to hawk my products or foist them on anyone but I think it will work for you. Of course I am not sure what is wrong with your bike in the first place and am putting my best guess on the fuel pump ass'y but it could also be elsewhere in the bike, including inside the gauge block itself and my device will not cure that of course. Anyway, if you want to try one it is returnable as long as in original condition (not packaging of course) and I will refund the full amount of the sale, with both of us being out a one- way shiping cost which quite reasonable if you use USPS.

BDF, do you happen to know what a good resistance value for the reserve fuel circuit is, when there's plenty of fuel in it?

Offline B.D.F.

Your problem is caused by a faulty float position or faulty float position reading. Nothing to do with the fuel pump ass'y itself. It very well may be that the tank level sender is dirty or worn, this is a extremely common failure mode on resistance wiper sensors. Also you could have a float with some fuel that leaked into it but I doubt that is actually your problem because you mention that it eventually changes the reading getting close or all the way to correct. This leads me to believe that you float arm may be bent and dragging on the tank also.

The sensors are available as used parts but be careful as there is barely enough room to get the sensor into and out of the tank and if the scrap yard was rough they may have bent the mechanism. Other than taking the tank off the bike, it is not a tough job but it is like a Rubik's cube doing the actual R&R on the sensor. I believe the manual resistance is full as well as empty so a pocket Volt Ohm meter makes it pretty easy to test the sensor in the tank, on he bike although you will need some fairly fine wire with a bend in the end to snag and move the float arm.

I will mention my fuel gauge issue as it is different. My gauge is erratic. Often I will fill up to the very brim but the gauge will not display the top bar when I crank up. Then 10 or 20 miles down the road the top bar will appear. Later in the tank range the gauge will show empty although I know I have half a tank left. I do have Brian's low fuel eliminator.
Modify message

The above was copied and pasted from my post in the TPS alternative thread.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Thanks for the info Brian!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Not offhand. The circuit uses a pulsed current method which is really quite clever. Also why I fried several low fuel warning developing a safe and gentle- on- the- bike method to shut it down. I hate to even say this but I believe my low fuel range eliminator will cure the problem with your bike. I do not like to hawk my products or foist them on anyone but I think it will work for you. Of course I am not sure what is wrong with your bike in the first place and am putting my best guess on the fuel pump ass'y but it could also be elsewhere in the bike, including inside the gauge block itself and my device will not cure that of course. Anyway, if you want to try one it is returnable as long as in original condition (not packaging of course) and I will refund the full amount of the sale, with both of us being out a one- way shiping cost which quite reasonable if you use USPS.

Payment sent, sir.

Offline B.D.F.

Ah, you snuck up on me there as I was unaware of any transaction but after looking at PayPal, I did see the payment. Not sure how that happened but all is well.

Unfortunately I am out of state at the moment and will not be back until the end of the week.... with a little luck, otherwise it may be next week. So I can ship it out when I return. We are in the process of buying property and moving so everything is sort of, what is that word, 'a mess'.  :o ;D Of course I will happily refund your payment because of the delay, and do another transaction after I am home. Your choice and please feel free to do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Anyway, I hope it works out and takes care of that dash flashing, which would be annoying as hell to me, but again if it does not, just send it back for a refund.

Payment sent, sir.