Author Topic: Slave cylinder rebuild  (Read 1633 times)

Offline gogiburn

Slave cylinder rebuild
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »
Has anyone rebuilt theirs? Success???

Offline Boomer343

Re: Slave cylinder rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
When I did the seventh gear mod and pulled off the slave the piston didn't move out of it's bore. I took it off the line, washed it in hot soapy water, cleaned everything in more hot soapy water then did a couple of rinses in more hot water.
Dried everything with a warm air gun then reasembled using Raybestoes Silicone Brake Grease on the seals and piston. After that I had to use a band to keep the piston in as the internal spring wanted to push the piston out. Much smoother clutch action now and less lever pressure.

So how do you define success.....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Slave cylinder rebuild
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
Very easy job, you may just need to replace the shaft seal.  Use an airhose in the line connection to push the piston out if it is stubborn.  Make sure you route the line back correctly or it will be on the wrong side of the oil fill cap (don't ask how I know).  You may also need to put a coat of paint back on it if the fluid has ate it away - use engine paint as it is more heat and solvent resistive.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington