Author Topic: New/Old member from Canada  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Cruncher

New/Old member from Canada
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:46:29 AM »
Hi, I am a 70-year old who has been riding since I was 15 illegally, and since 17 legally.
I totally forgot about this forum for years. I actually joined in January of 2019, but never posted. I was also on the COG forum, but they cancelled my membership saying to continue, I had to pay to be a member. To hell with that!

In April 2017, I sold my pristine 1994 ZX7 (getting too old to drive that crotch-rocket), then I bought a 1999 C10. I don't think the previous owner either cared about maintenance or knew much about bikes, because it was running on 3 cylinders, the windshield had faded to orange from being out in the sun, and nothing had been done to it.  :'(

I determined the 3-cylinder problem was due to a kick-stand that was bent and allowed the bike to lean further to the left than normal. Rain pooled above the #1 spark plug and seeped by the rubber boot, and rusted the plug and connector. After fixing that, it was back on all fours. I did the fuel gauge fix, the ground fix, added a USB wire for either phone or GPS, replaced the seat, polished the windshield, fixed all bulbs, re-routed the throttle cable correctly, fixed the cracks on the luggage bags, changed the fork oil, adjusted forks and rear suspension, removed and re-greased the rear drive, changed the tires, and just cleaned the bike.

This Winter, I have purchased a new windshield from Clearview, new led bulbs for the dash, and a new LED headlight. Once The weather gets better, I will install this stuff before this year's riding season.

I end up riding alone most of the time since I don't know of too many older riders who like to go for a 500km/300 mile ride on twisty roads. I haven't learned to ride like a 70-year old, I still ride like I am still on the ZX7.

Looking forward to browsing this forum and posting from time to time.

Cheers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New/Old member from Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 04:53:11 PM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:19 AM »
Welcome Cruncher,
I, like you, have dropped off the COG forum due to their change in policy. It's their loss.

We are a mixed bunch here but glad to have a Scots/Canadian to go with our English/American (Jim) and me (British/Luxemburger).  ;D

Some Blue Hylomar smeared around the #1 Sparkplug cap before you fit it prevents the water from getting in to the hole.
It's a design flaw on the C10. If you park it on the sidestand and wash it or leave it in the rain, the water just puddles due to the camchain hump.

When I go for a ride with my usual group I have to decide whether to take the C10 and be faster than most in the group, or take the C14 and be faster than everyone in the group. I upset one of the slower guys in the group when I asked if he'd considered getting a bike with better cornering clearance than his Indian Roadmaster after watching him dragging footboards in the twisties and on one occasion nearly ending up in a ditch. He replied that he also had a CB1100 so I suggested maybe riding that next time,... which got me a frosty glare.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »
Hey, hey, hey!  Watch the Indian Roadmaster comments!  LOL..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:36:02 AM »
Hey, hey, hey!  Watch the Indian Roadmaster comments!  LOL..
Do they have "sliders" under the footboards Jim? If not he's gonna need new footboards soon.  :yikes:
Sorry, but they are too low and too wide for twisties at any kind of normal pace, let alone a fun pace, and we do have a LOT of twisties here in the Olde Country where most of the backroads evolved organically.

On one section me (C14) and another friend (MT10) went on ahead for a brief play.
We stopped at the next junction, no more than 3 or 4 miles down the road and ended up waiting nearly 5 minutes for him to catch up.
We were about to turn around and go back to find out who had crashed.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 04:40:12 AM »
Oh, I know, Boomer, the limitations of a cruiser compared to a Sport Tourer.  However, my lifestyle has changed to the more sedate and the Roadmaster suits me very well now.  But it would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight...lol.

Offline Cruncher

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
Hi Cruncher.  I'm a 70yo hoon myself and have 3 bikes (1400GTR, 1000GTR Thunderbird900) and 1 trike (early Can-Am Spyder) to prove it - well the exhaust note on two of em make me sound a bit like a hoon. 

My wife & I did the Rocky Mountaineer for about 10 days 5 years ago, from Australia.  It was a wonderful experience and so different to the semi-desert where we live here on west coast. 

Ride safe.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?