Author Topic: The "new" demand for Concours  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
The "new" demand for Concours
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:05:53 AM »
Guys when I went to pick up my bike I was talking to several guys at the shop and we got on the discussion of what a great bike the connie is, a couple of the guys told me they had be riding superbikes style for the last 10+years.  Well they come to the same point in their life as I have.  Still want the get up and go but with the style and comfort that the connie offers a couple said the next bike they get will be a sport tourer.  If the manufactures have a brain they will focus on this segment a little harder and focus more advertising dollars to KEEP guys on the superbikes in the saddle as they grow older. 

The dealer told me they can't keep connies on the floor!  I'd like to sit and chat but it's 7:05 and I'm going to get geared up and go take a spin...cheers!

Offline timmerz

Re: The "new" demand for Concours
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
I believe this statement to be true...after I got rid of my Voyager last year, I did some serious researching, wanting to get back to the performace style I experienced last with my FJ, but still wanted a little more "touring" than that hard-edged FJ profile was prepared to give...the Bandit was an option, and had the performance aspect locked-down, but again was very uncomfortable for the long haul and had no cargo space from the factory, so everything would cost to add-on if you wanted luggage space, and who knows how the luggage would affect the ride and handling....so I glommed onto the Concours, and about 3 days after I had decided to start looking for one, Craigslist here in the San Francisco Bay Area popped up with one down in San Jose for $1000 that had some cosmetic issues, but was complete and ran. Say no more!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
Look at the 2011 Suzuki Bandit. It's now a ST at a few grand less than our beloved Connies. I guess it's actually Suzuki's FIRST ST bike, now that I think about it. I'm positive someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  ;D

Offline timmerz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »
DOH!

But: water-cooled and shaft-drive??

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
DOH!

But: water-cooled and shaft-drive??

I just traded for a 1250 Bandit, and actually made the deal at our last SE COG Rally!  I really liked the 08 C14 that I was riding that weekend and actually had it all decked out to my liking, but the Bandit as with just about any standard always catches my eye due to being so comfortable!  The bar reach on this Bandit feels like they are just in your lap when you reach for them!  I always go back and forth from a standard to a full ST bike due to the driveshaft.  One day I can't live without it and the next day when it's 100 degrees I figure what the hell, the chain is no problem!  You might research the Bandit since 2007, they have been water cooled that long!  And storage, no problem either...  along with the V46 Givi trunk this bike will do just about anything and over 70ft/lbs of torque from 3000 rpm on isn't so bad.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
I just traded for a 1250 Bandit, and actually made the deal at our last SE COG Rally!  I really liked the 08 C14 that I was riding that weekend and actually had it all decked out to my liking, but the Bandit as with just about any standard always catches my eye due to being so comfortable!  The bar reach on this Bandit feels like they are just in your lap when you reach for them!  I always go back and forth from a standard to a full ST bike due to the driveshaft.  One day I can't live without it and the next day when it's 100 degrees I figure what the hell, the chain is no problem!  You might research the Bandit since 2007, they have been water cooled that long!  And storage, no problem either...  along with the V46 Givi trunk this bike will do just about anything and over 70ft/lbs of torque from 3000 rpm on isn't so bad.

NICE looking ride! And I see you got the fast BLUE color.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »
If Zook was smart, they'd stick a shaft and decent rider-protective fairing on the Bandit.  It would sell like cocaine.  They know how to do shafts, as on their cruisers.  Most of the guys who ride at the place I work are in my age group (50 +) and we have no sport bikes.  My Connie, and my Wee-Strom, an FJR, a 1200 Wing, a Honda 1100 Shadow, a Vulcan 500, a BMW R1200RT are the usual suspects.  Everybody keeps asking me about the Wee, and some have test ridden it and they all like the straight-up ergonomics.  I'd love to stick a Bandit engine in the Connie, but it would be easier to just to the Bergmen ZRX engine mod.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
I'm at a loss for words here...I absolutely had no idea! Looks like a certain timmerz needs to get out more often and look at new bikes on the market...not that I'd be able to afford one, of course, but at least I wouldn't be making dumb-azzed comments on the forum!! LOLOL!!!

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
   I went from a 2002 Bandit 1200, to a 2007 Bandit 1250 to my current C14, so I'm familiar with the Suzuki Bandits. They get overlooked because they "only" make 105 horsepower, but they're not designed to make horsepower...they make torque. I'm giving serious thought to another 1200; it would make a fine second bike to the C14...a great hooligan bike for short rides and a bit of fun. Both bikes were good for insanely lurid wheelies. The 1200 had a 5-speed trans, and the front brakes on the 1250 weren't as good as the ones on the 1200, but I really liked both bikes. It seems like the newer chains don't wear very quickly; it seems I rarely had to do a chain adjustment.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »
It's new demand for every bike, it's called summer...  8)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
It's new demand for every bike, it's called summer...  8)

yep  everyone wants a shiney new bike this time of year.
T.S.R.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
When I was looking for a sporty type bike after I got rid of the Voyager I was looking at 2000-2002 or '03 Bandits and the like, 'cause those were in my "afford" range...that's why the water-cooled never popped up on my radar....but even if I had known they went water-cooled in '07 I wouldn't have been able to afford one that new of a bike....the air-cooled Bandits brought back strong memories of the FJ years, with the upright riding position and the brutal power instantly available, but were just uncomfortable enough for my old carcass after 10 miles or so where I was ready to keep looking....that was when the first test ride on a Connie happened....

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »
i've got an 01 voyager for the two- up deal, but my connie is the bike I Waaay prefer. Course it has a bit more punch than a stock c-10, and that adds to the fun quotient, too. I 'spect it's gonna be with me for a long time - Steve

Offline timmerz

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »
i've got an 01 voyager for the two- up deal, but my connie is the bike I Waaay prefer. Course it has a bit more punch than a stock c-10, and that adds to the fun quotient, too. I 'spect it's gonna be with me for a long time - Steve

My '91 in its stock config has some really good power for me, I'm the type of rider that very infrequently gets over 6k on the tach...I may never upgrade anything on the bike if the money-tree doesn't start to proliferate here pretty quick! Basic maintenance is about all I can handle at this time, and the bike good enough to please in its basic form!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
I'm the type of rider that very infrequently gets over 6k on the tach...

Break-in period??  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:01:44 PM by ZG »

Offline frogrider

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »
I looked at the Bandit as well when I finally bought the connie.

One thing that really turns me off about ALL the modern ST bikes is the placement of the rear bags so high up. Looks kinda odd to my eye.   Seems it's bad enough I have to carry all the weight of the trunk so high, not to mention the passenger. now the bags are about a foot higher than they oughta be.

Just my opinion...
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
Went from an 05 Bandit to my 09 C14. Did what I could to make the Bandit into a sport touring ride. After being on the C14 I decided I'd rather tour than sport. Sometimes I do miss the AK-47 aspect of the Bandit. It is able to do it all. Not the prettiest girl at the dance, but dance she will. I do often miss that low end grunt the Bandit had. I'm tempted to pull the flies to find out of the C14 will feel the same. Probably be next years tax check investment ;D I'll find out How my C14 does on a long tour at the end of next month. Going across TX, up thru the mountains of NM, into CO for some more mountain riding then back across TX.  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Ranger

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
I'm gonna look at one of these if they ever start marketing them here.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/19-general-bike-talk/164054-new-yamaha-adventure-bike-comparison-info-added.html 

2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline koval68

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi