Author Topic: Hit 50000 miles today  (Read 4881 times)

Son of Pappy

Hit 50000 miles today
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
So, although it seems like yesterday that I rode her home, it has been 3 yrs and a coupla weeks.  I'm gonna try to outline my experiences and mods I have done over the course of this love affair I have with my beloved Connie.

First off, how do I ride?  I commute 80 miles a day in the great Pacific Northwet.  I have done 2 1300 mile day trips, 5 trips to the track as a coach for an Advanced Street Skills, and many 2 up trips on some of the most scenic roads in the world.  I dont baby her when I'm riding, but I dont ride like a squid.  Shes seen speeds in excess of 135 multiple times and she has spent quite a few hours on an MSF range, sharpening my skills and providing demos for riders of all types.  This bike is just about as perfectly balanced for the many types of riding I do and I have a hard time even thinking about replacing her, the divorce would just be painfull, and I'd bet expensive.

So, mods-where to begin?

Seat, I like my ladies firm, so she deserved a Corbin, still loving it.
Shield, the stocker is awesome when it's nice out, but since it has been known to rain on occasion I needed something taller, I went with the Cee Baileys Euro, still loving it.
Next up is still my all time fav farkle, Baker hand wings.  They just work, whethor it's cold or rain, or needing some more frsh air.
Up next is the flyectomy and PCIII, transformed a whale into an Orca, much closer to what I expected from a 1352cc bike.
I also added some trackside heated grips, cheap and extremely effective (dont forget to add a layer of tape to the clutch side)  I have gone through 3 switches and repaired the throttle side when I pulled the wire from the element, simple solder job there.
I then decided I needed to shorten the exhaust, I got out the grinder, made some marks, cut out some 4 inches, and did a poor mans job of welding the end back on, all i gotta say is that beauty cap was made for guys like me.  Nice sound, no noticeable performance, and sure looked better.
Then along comes Ninjawarrior and his AreaP full!!  I went full monty, PCV and Auto tune, really sweet setup, another one I would do again.
I have added both the Hyper lights and hyper wights, true safety related items.
Along the way I added an Autocomm, sat radio, and eventually a Zumo 550.
The last farkle to date was the addition of a gerbings dual controller, never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined just how nice a heated liner could be, makes riding in the rain fun ;D
I am on my 4th set of tires, and for me, the best (Angels), the stockers were designed to enhance a riders skillset, the Diablo Stradas kicked some serious butt, then this forum convinced me the PR2s were the best thing since gasoline, so I had a set mounted up.  Sadly, I was dissapointed, I could get the front end to slide when practicing aggressive panic stops, something I couldnt get the stadas to do.  I went to the Angels, and wont go back, by far the best tire for me,wet, dry, street, or track.
Issues with the bike?  Gear position sensor covered under warranty (which thanks to MOB I have extended).
Future farkles include a set of ZX14 TBs, which I just havent installed, they sit patiently on top of my POL locker and when the extended warranty runs out I will be adding a little forced induction.

So, in closing, is there another bike on the market I would buy in lieu of the 14?  No, not for how I use her, I have the KLR for my DS adventures and the YZ450F for my hair on fire, lets get freaky bike.  If I had some $10000 laying around I would buy a slightly used '08 non ABS 14 and put her in storage for when I wear this one out which should be another 150,000 miles or so.

I'd take a picture, but all you would see is the sh!t eating grin ;D

Edited to add LSL bars from www.murphskits,com , I'd do them again as well, more for piece of mind then comfort, I just never felt %100 when working the bike hard, they are cast aluminum and I could see a hard braking session turn into a breaking situation.  Oh BTW, KiPASS only bit me once, some where around the 500 mile mark, simple rapid tap and instant gratification.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:09:21 PM by Son of Pappy »

Offline koval68

Re: Hit 50000 miles today
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
GREAT report! Funny too!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
Glad you love your bike as much as I love mine, I'll be there (mileage) soon enough.  Gonna do 2,200ish this weekend.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
Have done the valves yet?  If so, When?

Excavator

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
That's great SOP, I know you're not a fair weather rider being in the Pacific Northwest, congrats.

Do you have webbed feet?

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »
   Hey S.O.P. nice riding and your farkling caught my curiosity.....darn it.

"ced me the PR2s were the best thing since gasoline, so I had a set mounted up.  Sadly, I was dissapointed, I could get the front end to slide when practicing aggressive panic stops, something I couldnt get the stadas to do."

I,as you know I like PR-2s, and have slid my front under a panic stop, didn't think about much about it then but I was trying to avoid problems-so yea that happened. I came off an 05 BMW wABS and its was certainly a different stop ,but the connie behaved quite well- but humm???
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
Congrats SoP!  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »
 :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:04 AM »
Hey man, thanks for sharing.  My 11' is my first ST, but I'm loving it, makes the hairy ride in highway traffic doable.  Also, thanks for the quick assessment of your farkles. Keep on Keepin'on!
Boone

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Great write up. Looking forward to adding a bunch of miles to mine also. Had 6 Gold Wings in the past 26 years and racked up a lot of miles on them, but the C14 will be more fun!!

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
congrats,now go for 100!!!
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline Toaster

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »
Way to go, great report. 6500KM on my new 09 and loving it. Retire in Jan. So will run the wheels off it next year!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:06 PM »
Congrats!  I'm right behind you  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
Congrats Pappy! They love the high mileage.. Here's to the next 50,000 miles!

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Nice post! Next stop 100,000 miles.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
Have done the valves yet?  If so, When?
Yes, at 15 and 30 with some minor changes and a few simple swaps.  I'm gonna tackle them myself this time, an old friend has a coupla lifts, I'll be confined to after hours thou, he owns a Harley shop and some of his customers may not be happy seeing that jap junk that just whupped their tail up on "Their" lift!  Johns done a few bucket shims so I see no issue and it would only take an afternoon to git er done, I'll throw on the ZX14 TBs at the same time ;D  I'm scrimpin pennies for my retirement home, time for some power and a septic, the misses wasnt too hot on the out house, visqueen shrouded and breezy 8)  Once the road to the homestead is done I'll be racking up some serious miles, I'd estimate another25,000 by the end of the year.  I'd like nothing more then to have a 150000 mile bike at the end of my ext. warranty 8)  I will have 75000 by the end of the year.