Author Topic: Estimate on bike damage  (Read 6553 times)

valkmc

Estimate on bike damage
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
Bike is being examined by adjuster as I write this. Dropped my 09 at about 15mph in Texas on my way back from Alaska. Trip was great but had two rough spots, the break down in Vegas (10 days due to final drive) and then the dropping after that. Ripped off right side mirror and broke the bracket, damaged middle cowling, and right side bag, just scratches. Also scratched up front collar on exhaust and the black lower fairing, all right side. Guess it could have been worse. The bag is scratched very deeply but the fairing only has minor scratches, they are all over it and it looks bad but you can barely feel them, anyone have luck getting their fairing painted and matching the paint? Deductible is $500 and I am thinking about trying to save some of that, checked ebay could not find any bags or other parts listed. The mirror b racket will be tough to change, I believe it is attached to both mirrors and goes through the dash.

valkmc

Re: Estimate on bike damage
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
wow just got the estimate $3261.85, insurance has to check with lien holder to see how they want to handle it. I looked at the estimate and there is lots of room to wiggle, for example they included an entire new muffler and the only damage to it is the front collar the rest of the muffler is fine. I was thinking of painting both collars on the ends anyway.

Offline nyconcours

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
You will find alot of wiggle room.  They also provide retail pricing and labor.  We tend to take off the plastic's ourselves enough to just bolt on new plastic's purchased from the internet.  you can more then cover your deductiable this way.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
As stated, you should be able to do all the work yourself.  If you shop around, you can get prices on parts that should be much less than what's on your estimate.  As for painting the plastic, you may find it cheaper to just buy new ones.

Shop around on sites line Ron Ayers (http://www.ronayers.com/) and Riders Choice Racing (http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/default.asp).  They seem to have the lowest prices online that I have found, and RCR offers free shipping on all Kawi parts orders.  I've bought a couple things from them, the speed and service was most excellent.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Yep, shop the parts yourself, change them yourself and save a bundle.  The mirror stay isn't that hard to replace.  Takes about an hour.  You are right, the bracket goes to both mirrors.  In the center of the photo you will see the four (actually three since one was removed already) bolts that hold the bracket on.  On this bike they were removed with my fingers so maybe a little medium thread locker on those bolts.

T.S.R.

valkmc

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I just received the final estimate by e-mail, they allowed $949 for the muffler and 757.57 for the rear swing arm. The only mark on the muffler is the front cap has scratches that are fairly deep. Not sure if I will replace that cap or look at after market exhaust. I am baffled by the rear swing arm allowance, the bike did not hit the ground hard and there are a few scratches on the plastic plug in the swing arm but no damage. I rode it home 1500 miles after the accident and I can say the swing arm is just fine. Thinking I may make out OK but I am sure I will repay them next year when my insurance is due.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I just received the final estimate by e-mail, they allowed $949 for the muffler and 757.57 for the rear swing arm. The only mark on the muffler is the front cap has scratches that are fairly deep. Not sure if I will replace that cap or look at after market exhaust. I am baffled by the rear swing arm allowance, the bike did not hit the ground hard and there are a few scratches on the plastic plug in the swing arm but no damage. I rode it home 1500 miles after the accident and I can say the swing arm is just fine. Thinking I may make out OK but I am sure I will repay them next year when my insurance is due.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't replace the stock exhaust with another stock one if you have the option V!

Go with an aftermarket exhaust and save the potato's...

I'm sure Max will jump in on this soon enough...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
wow just got the estimate $3261.85, insurance has to check with lien holder to see how they want to handle it. I looked at the estimate and there is lots of room to wiggle, for example they included an entire new muffler and the only damage to it is the front collar the rest of the muffler is fine. I was thinking of painting both collars on the ends anyway.

some newbie once drop my bike in the garage at the office with the bags of his bike (he never had bags before that day). The damage was very minor on the fairing, and like in your case, the front collar of the muffler got banged. The dealer, knowing that the ensurance was going to pay, wrote down a whole muffler: 1500 bucks. I ordered the front collar directly: 92 bucks.  :nuts:  A few weeks later I saw a 1400GTR with the Remus Hexacone and got hooked. Never got to put the collar :))
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »
Bike is being examined by adjuster as I write this. Dropped my 09 at about 15mph in Texas on my way back from Alaska. Trip was great but had two rough spots, the break down in Vegas (10 days due to final drive) and then the dropping after that. Ripped off right side mirror and broke the bracket, damaged middle cowling, and right side bag, just scratches. Also scratched up front collar on exhaust and the black lower fairing, all right side. Guess it could have been worse. The bag is scratched very deeply but the fairing only has minor scratches, they are all over it and it looks bad but you can barely feel them, anyone have luck getting their fairing painted and matching the paint? Deductible is $500 and I am thinking about trying to save some of that, checked ebay could not find any bags or other parts listed. The mirror b racket will be tough to change, I believe it is attached to both mirrors and goes through the dash.

I have a locked right-side bag that wasn't on when I crashed.  Already sold left-side.

http://home.comcast.net/~keithroe/photographs/2008C14Bags_Right_Side/index.html
......... =o&o>

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
A question please. If a person chooses to fix their bike themselves, do you have to prove to the insurance company you did so to prevent  a future claim on the same accident?   I hope this is not  a big deal as it looks like the OP can end up with some really cool parts for the same cost as dealers labor.

valkmc

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
Well, I spoke way to soon, just found out the lien holder wants the check made out to me and what ever dealer I chose to fix the bike. I am headed to Citrus Cycle tomorrow to see what I can work out. I was given 950 for the muffler and 750 for part of the swing arm, neither of which need to be replaced. I am not sure how the dealer will view this.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »
Well, I spoke way to soon, just found out the lien holder wants the check made out to me and what ever dealer I chose to fix the bike. I am headed to Citrus Cycle tomorrow to see what I can work out. I was given 950 for the muffler and 750 for part of the swing arm, neither of which need to be replaced. I am not sure how the dealer will view this.

A good reason to pay cash, or if you can take out a personal loan against a savings account or something like that so that the bike is not the collateral on the loan.  Then you can do whatever you want.  I don't mean that as a knock on anyone for financing btw.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

valkmc

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
A good reason to pay cash, or if you can take out a personal loan against a savings account or something like that so that the bike is not the collateral on the loan.  Then you can do whatever you want.  I don't mean that as a knock on anyone for financing btw.

Yea that is a great idea, just my luck I have a problem with the one thing I owe money on, everything else I drive and live in is paid for, just didn't want to take anymore cash out to buy the bike. Wish I had now. I am going to see my dealer tomorrow and see how much they will work with me...considering just fixing the mirror support and mirror and living with the scratches and not taking a check or making the claim. I can fix the mirror on my own after looking at the manual.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »
Valk, please keep us updated on how this ends up.   I financed my bike as well, so I could easily face the same thing. I agree with you, but can also see the banks point in having "their" bike fixed back to 100% condition.

valkmc

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
OK think we are finally fixed up.....Went to a 2nd and closer dealer who took my insurance estimate, made one of their own and the bike is being fixed. The insurance company is cutting the check in both our names and the good part is my deductible cost went from $500 to $150. I am upset with the first dealer who told me I was committing lnsurance fraud by trying to reduce my deuctible.  They also told me they had to replace all parts on the estimate because they were required to send the old parts to my insurance company, funny my insurance company said they did not need them. I should have known when the service mamger told me the exhaust was one piece, he thought the end caps were revitted on.

I wish I had paid cash for the bike because I could have fixed this for 1/2 of what the estimate was. I must say foremost has been great, they estimated the bike one day after I called them and had a check one day later. The first dealer is the party who set me back and I bought my wifes S50 from them and took my son there who bought a ZX14 from them. Both used but both only a year old. I guess I will not go back there.

The company who financed the bike has been great, all they request is the bike is either fixed by a Kawi dealer (insured by check in both names) or I send a list of parts used to them before they will sign off on the check.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »
Years ago I worked at a Yamaha shop and had a serious accident.  The damages totaled 2200.00 and my XS 11 Yamaha was worth 2600.00. I shoudl have totaled it, but .....

I learned a lot about the process.  I was able to buy parts for the bike at cost plus 10%. This ended up being almost 1/2 off retail pricing. However, the dealership was not able to give me the cost difference and cited fraud.  The discount had to be given back to the insurance company.  Oddly enough, I was given a substantial hourly raise.....hum....

Second, the damaged parts.  The insurance company bought new parts, so technically they owned  the old ones.  The company never did show up to claim them (60 days????) so I took them home,,,um..threw them away, I mean.

Working there, they did let me do a shopping list for the 2200.00.  I re-clearcoated the tank instead of replacing it.  I also picked a different brand of exhaust that happened to be cheaper.  The savings here went back to the insurance company.

valkmc

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
Bike is fixed, I had to come out of pocket for $200, so they reduced my deductible by $300. She looks like new again and the annoying buzzing I had in the dash is gone. There is one small problem, the black piece that sets on top of the fairing on the right side keeps popping out (just the groove that the top piece sets in). The dealer ordered a new one and said they will put it on when it comes in. Funny it looks perfect and nothing was touched that high up. They replaced the right side cowling bottom to top.. It fits together and looks great but after a bump or two it pops out of the groove on top of the  red fairing. I know I read something on the old forum about someone having the same problem. Anyone know of any tricks?