Author Topic: thinking about a newer concours  (Read 10267 times)

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: thinking about a newer concours
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
Obviously it would be easier if you could test ride each of the prospective bikes for a week before deciding.

There are lots of good choices out there.  My suggestion would be to actually write down what you like about your C10 and other bikes you own or have owned.  What are you looking for in the next bike?   Why new vs used?  Costs (both time an money) in terms of purchase price, insurance, maintenance and repairs.  Dealer networks, parts availability and owner networks. Who will maintain & repair the bike? What kind of riding will you be planning on doing?  One bike only or multiple?  Solo or two-up?  Commuting, touring, recreation?  What kinds of bikes do your friends ride?  Do you want something similar, the same or different?  Etc.

Most any bike can be made to fit your needs, but it's a bit easier to choose the best bike when you have a clear idea of what you're looking for.  At the time I bought it, the C14 was ideal for me and my circumstances.  It still works well for me, and I have no plans to sell it.  But I would probably not immediately replace it with a new or used C14 if I were involuntarily cashed out of it.

All that is a long-winded way of saying "Buy what you want.".  The C14 is a great option out of many great options.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
I'd have to suggest that you adjust your suspension then. My 2009's ride was very plush when I purchased it. Maybe too much so. I have since bumped up my preload considerably and it is a firm ride now, but far from unpleasant.

The Concours is not a bike for short riders, out of the box. However, it can be lowered relatively easily without sacrificing much road clearance. I have owned upwards of 30 motorcycles over the years. Some I liked enough to have had three of the same bike. (early 80's GS1100 and 95 GPZ1100) I have always gotten tired of each bike I've owned after riding it for a couple of years and ended up trading for something else. The Concours is the first bike that I really believe I can hold on to indefinitely. Fits me great! With some minor adjustments, it's totally comfortable for me. Has great power and handling.

I was originally planning on buying the FJR1300 and test rode a couple of them. The FJR just felt too small for me (6'3"). The lack of a 6th gear was a real deal breaker for me as well. It also seemed that used FJR's were a little pricey when I was shopping. I ended up getting my 09 Concours with 1500 miles on the clock in the summer of 2010 for $8500 and haven't looked back!

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know me.  I've started riding 40 years ago this year, and I road raced a few years.  Yes- it has occurred to me to adjust my suspension.  I have it as soft as it will go and it's still harsh.  A close friend I ride with every week picked his Concours up with me, and he agrees.  They did make some changes to the suspension in 2010, so maybe that's the difference.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
I came to the C14 after lotsa years on a Honda ST1100. No comparison!

The Connie has reinvigorated my love of riding. Fun bike, great price, lots of reasonably-priced accessories if you choose to farkle, very few maintenance issues and if you get a 2010/11 most of the first generation nits have been fixed.

I'd buy another one without a second thought.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »
Thank you for the nice replies. But I have just decided not to buy a new Concours. This forum really helped me make my decision. Thank you for your time.
2005 Concours

Flathead

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
In my opinion, it is inseam that counts. If you are over 6ft, but your inseam is less than 30, you may not be able to flat foot the bike with regular boots. My inseam is 30 and I had to get a pair of red wing boots that have 3 inch heals to flatfoot. On the plus side, it eats bumps for breakfast. It is a behemoth - may not be like a Goldwing, but a behemoth nonetheless. It makes my HD Fatboy look like a pygmy (well exaggerated - but you get the point:D).

Most folks install the ZX14 or muzzy's lowering links to lower the bike a bit.

+1 I'm shy of six foot by two inches, depending on which convenience store I'm leaving, and I can flat foot the bike just fine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
Thank you for the nice replies. But I have just decided not to buy a new Concours. This forum really helped me make my decision. Thank you for your time.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
Something I held onto while I was researching my purchase.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/539/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Super-Sport-Touring-Comparo.aspx

Enjoy!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
6ft or over get the 14,  Under 6ft get the FJR.  FJR is just a more refined bike.  Yes, I have owned both.
Interesting. I'm glad you said this. I will also look closer now at the FJR since I am a bit under 6ft. And the FJR is more refined? I will have to look at my friends a little closer now. Thanks for the honesty and definitely the rider size info.

I am 5'7" with short legs.  ANY bike would need changes.  With the proper adjustments, the C-14 can be fine if you are not tall.  Not ideal, but certainly very workable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »

I will say that a 3year warranty is a major plus in buying a Concours14.

The warranty was a MAJOR plus.
The technology was a MAJOR plus.
The way the bike looks is a plus.
The performance was a plus.
The ability to extend the warranty even more, and cheaply is a plus.
Having a good local dealer was yet another plus.
The price was a plus, although more than I had originally wanted to spend, especially considering what I knew I would have to spend to mod it some.

My only minus was the lack of cruise control (which nothing in my price range had, anyway).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
In my opinion, it is inseam that counts. If you are over 6ft, but your inseam is less than 30, you may not be able to flat foot the bike with regular boots. My inseam is 30 and I had to get a pair of red wing boots that have 3 inch heals to flatfoot.

+1

I lowered the seat, lowered the bike link (rear), lowered the front (tubes), and modified my boots.  My inseam is 27.5".  The bike was unrideable without the mods.  WITH the mods, it is doable, but I can't "flat foot"... but I am used to it.  Only my very fist bike could I do that (it was an EX250 :) )

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Interesting. I'm glad you said this. I will also look closer now at the FJR since I am a bit under 6ft. And the FJR is more refined? I will have to look at my friends a little closer now. Thanks for the honesty and definitely the rider size info.

I am 5'7" with short legs.  ANY bike would need changes.  With the proper adjustments, the C-14 can be fine if you are not tall.  Not ideal, but certainly very workable.

+1... 5'8" here, you can make the C14 work for sure!!  :thumbs:   8)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/539/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Super-Sport-Touring-Comparo.aspx

Enjoy!

Nice, thanks for posting that Rob! Hadn't seen that one before.  :thumbs:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
Eats bumps for breakfast?  My Concours rides like a dump truck on concrete roads with uneven expansion joints.

Then learn how to adjust the clickers on the suspension. READ the manual.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
Eats bumps for breakfast?  My Concours rides like a dump truck on concrete roads with uneven expansion joints.

Some suspension tuning might be in order....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2027.0

The rear suspension on mine was pretty stiff out the door.  It got marginally better after several thousand miles but using the tuning document in the thread above helped tremendously in getting it right. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Then learn how to adjust the clickers on the suspension. READ the manual.

I guess you guys didn't read my earlier post.  I have read the manual and I have adjusted it.  I really don't need folks telling me in CAPITAL letters like I didn't think of that myself.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
Maybe we can get this one locked, too.  I have a nice picture that I can post up as a prize if my comments keep getting threads locked.

FWIW, reading the manual will not help much in setting the suspension on the C14. It will tell you how, but the factory settings aren't much of a starting poing.  Two kinds of riders seem to have problems with setting the C14's suspension:  Those who know nothing about setting the suspension, and those who expect to be able to get things absolutely perfect without upgrading.  Some can't tell any difference, and others are too sensitive/picky for "normal" street riding.

In general, on the earlier C14's, the rear was set too stiff and the front too soft, both on preload and damping.  Increasing preload, damping and going to thicker and/or more fork oil seemed to help the front.

Cutting damping and preload seems to help in the rear.

If any of you have given up, that is fine by me.  But there is a good chance that going a bit softer in the rear damping settings may help.  I'd suggest keep adjusting by 1/4 turns until it feels too soft, then go back up 1/8 turn.

This is operating under the belief that sag was already set properly.  It might not be a bad idea to reset sag, depending on the time and miles since the last time is was set.  Most of us know that sag s/b checked periodically, but don't bother actually doing it.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:20 AM »
I haven't locked a thread in quite awhile due to your comments, Clyde.  In fact, I'm glad you're back posting.  I enjoy your commentary and insight.  We all get a bit out of sorts at times. 

This isn't one of them....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »

Enjoy!

I rode both the 2011 Concours 14 and the 2011 FJR1300A. I went for the Concours 14 because of height, power, and the 6 speed. The FJR was awesome too. Just felt a little off for me.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.