Author Topic: Hello from Boynton Beach, FL!  (Read 5079 times)

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
Hello from Boynton Beach, FL!
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »
Hi all,
So I'm ready to join the Sport-Touring club...been looking at the Concours for a while...got distracted with the new BMW K1600GTL for a bit, then realized once again that this bike has the best reviews AND is only half the price of the BMW...and I'm seeing 2011 models on eBay for $12,900...hard to pass up.  Also at this price range I don't have to get rid of my full dresser Royal Star Venture - which keeps my wife happy!  So I have the green light to add a second bike to the stable (after I make room in the garage!)

Questions:
What are the differences between the 2010 and 2011 models?  I don't want to go older than that because of the heating issues I've read about...

What are the most common upgrades?

I think I'll add risers right away for a bit more vertical seating position, I'm a 46 year old guy, in decent shape, but from surfing all my life, my lower back has had a lot of wear and tear from sitting on the board in choppy waves...so I need to be more vertical than leaning over.

I'm going to spend some time reading the forum now that I've found it, but appreciate your answers (I'm sure these questions are asked repetitively...) so thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
SCRC #456 - Ride Captain

Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline okxd45

Re: Hello from Boynton Beach, FL!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
Welcome sir!  I don't have any suggestions as mine is bonestock.  All I'm adding is the Cee Bailey Ultra Tour before winter.  I believe the 10' and 11' are the same other than color options of course.  No heating problem to speak of on my 09'.   
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »
Risers will help if you want to sit up a little more.  I am 6'2'' and use Murph's risers and I am very comfortable.  Your choice in windshields will also effect your comfort on long rides.  I suggest the Vstream since when it is all the way up I get a nearly silent pocket of air around my helmet.  When it is hot like it has been I keep my cut down stocker on so I can get fresh air from my chest up.  Good luck on your search there are plenty of leftover 2010's that can be gotten well below MSRP.  Seems like Cherry Hill, NJ has one of the best dealerships for good prices and customer service.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Different color on the 2011, different front braking hardware to eliminate warping rotors on the 2011, and standard ABS on the 2011 as well.  Unless I had to have the Blue from 2010 or got a screaming deal on a 2010 it would be 2011 all the way...

Offline RideBellChain

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »
Yeah, I like the Blue with ABS... but I'll go black for the 2011, unless I find a killer deal for a 2010.  I live in South Florida, and silver blends in like camoflage on I95 and the turnpike...the sun takes the color out of the road, and I want to be visible as possible. 

I was reading about the VStream shield, and less wind noise is always better...

Can I assume that all parts are interchangeable from 2010-2011, mostly accessory stuff, since the only wrenching I'll do on a brand new bike is PM stuff, oil, fluids, etc.

Does the 2011 have cruise control?  On my current ride, I set it at 80, and it stays at 80 no matter what...different than throttle-hold, I'm guessing.

Thanks for the welcomes and feedback, guys...hope I can participate in answering questions soon!  :)

Cya and Ride Safe!
Mark
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel

Offline RideBellChain

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:07 AM »
Sorry - one more question...driver's back rests?  Is there an aftermarket back rest, or would I need a whole new seat?

Thanks,
Mark
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel

Offline jasonc32amg

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
Try Sky Powersports in Lake Wales. I got a great deal on my '09 there and they are probably offering sweet deals on '10's now.

Offline RideBellChain

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
Yeah - that's the place offering the 2011 in Black for $12,999 + $299 dealer bs fee...nice area to put on the first hundred or so miles, too!  :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawasaki-Concours-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-14-ABS-2011-NEW-/150634482464?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item231283cb20
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »
The Cee bailey's "Ultra Tour" shield serves me well in FL.

Absolutely the best wind protection when raised ( i don't think anyone will debate that), and I still get clean air from neck-up when lowered in the summer.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
I live in South Florida, and silver blends in like camoflage on I95 and the turnpike...the sun takes the color out of the road, and I want to be visible as possible.

You're not kidding! South Florida probably has the highest concentration of glaucoma in country with it being god's waiting room in all.  ;D

One upgrade you may consider is putting on a new seat. Seems that Corbin, Sargent or Russell Day Long are the most common. As for the risers, that was the first thing I did and it makes a world of difference.

Welcome to the board, you'll find a plethora of information here.

-Chris

Offline RideBellChain

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Thanks - getting really excited about getting a Connie!
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:06:03 PM »
Lose the potato launcher ASAP Mark...

Congrats on the decision, happy hunting!  :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »
Lose the potato launcher ASAP Mark...

Congrats on the decision, happy hunting!  :)

in case he wonders what the potatoe launcher is.....by the way I think the exhaust proportioned about right for this behemoth bike~

Offline ronski

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:57 AM »
Mark,
I'm just a bit north of you (Hobe Sound, Fl.)

You're more than welcome to swing by sometime to go over my add-on's.

Just shoot me a PM if interested...
sadly bikeless..... but I'm working on that!

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
Hi all,
So I'm ready to join the Sport-Touring club...been looking at the Concours for a while...got distracted with the new BMW K1600GTL for a bit, then realized once again that this bike has the best reviews AND is only half the price of the BMW...and I'm seeing 2011 models on eBay for $12,900...hard to pass up.  Also at this price range I don't have to get rid of my full dresser Royal Star Venture - which keeps my wife happy!  So I have the green light to add a second bike to the stable (after I make room in the garage!)

Questions:
What are the differences between the 2010 and 2011 models?  I don't want to go older than that because of the heating issues I've read about...

What are the most common upgrades?

I think I'll add risers right away for a bit more vertical seating position, I'm a 46 year old guy, in decent shape, but from surfing all my life, my lower back has had a lot of wear and tear from sitting on the board in choppy waves...so I need to be more vertical than leaning over.

I'm going to spend some time reading the forum now that I've found it, but appreciate your answers (I'm sure these questions are asked repetitively...) so thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Mark Turkel
SCRC #456 - Ride Captain

Hi, Mark:  I'm Lew and my Yorkie is Punky.  We are known as Punky 'n' Lew and live in Jamaica Bay mobile home park on Military Trail at Gateway in Boynton Beach.

I'm getting ready to ride with Punky to New England towing a camp trailer and have to install a new battery after 3 years of use.  You are welcome to come see the farkles on my '08 C-14 if you like.  Nicest farkle is dual Muzzy's carbon fibre exhaust for improved appearance and performance.  Call 735-9653.  Later, amigo.  Lew

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »

Nicest farkle is dual Muzzy's carbon fibre exhaust for improved appearance and performance. 

:thumbs: :thumbs: :goodpost: