Mish mash > Open Forum

Did you know?

(1/1)

VirginiaJim:
You can date older Zippo lighters by looking at the logo on the bottom of the lighter case.  I started looking at one of my lighters that I have and found that it was a 1969 model.  Probably picked it up at an antique store.  I've got so much stuff that I need to get rid of....sigh.  Anyway, off to the hardware store later today to pick up fluid and flints.  They are made in Bradford PA.  Stopped there with a friend many years ago whilst on a MC trip.  Very good tour.

https://www.zippo.com/pages/date-codes

tweeter55:
If I'm not mistaken, you can date a Coleman lantern by checking the stamping on the bottom of the lantern also.

Boomer:
Can you date a VirginiaJim from the stamping on his bottom?  :rotflmao:

I have about 12 Zippo's from when I was a smoker.
Ahhh,... the smell of lighting a Marlboro with a Zippo.  ;D
I don't have the heart to bin them.
Some are so worn that they need to be refilled every day and leak into your pocket.
Others have the hinges split, and I have one or 2 special ones that have hardly been used.
One lives in the garage and is used to light my blowtorches. The rest are in the bottom of my sock drawer.

VirginiaJim:
They have a lifetime guarantee, all you have to pay is shipping.  Not sure about the UK though.  I like Zippos because they remind me of my father.  I've added a new flint and wick.  A tip for flints is to add a few under the bottom felt so that if one wears out you have spares.  One thing I noticed was that the Zippo wick has a copper wire wound into it.  I like that as it's easier to route it and also warms up the fuel in the case for better burning.  The wick should be cut so it's about half way up in the chimney.  The higher the cut, the higher the flame.  Another fun fact is that Zippo owns Ronson so the fuel and the flints are identical to the Zippo brands.  By the way, I don't smoke but I do like the lighters.

As far as the date stamp on my bottom, I'll have to defer to my wife on that question...lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version