Author Topic: Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions?  (Read 11535 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Starter motor turns. No fire. Any suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
AAA will not touch a motorcycle (tow, jump, anything at all) is the member has the standard AAA membership. I understand there is a rider that is available to go with an AAA membership but it is for RV's or something similarly strange (buying an RV rider to cover a motorcycle is odd to me).

Brian

If you have AAA they should cover the haul cost.  Your insurance may also.  If they say it was not a roadside haul, push it out to the street.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
I have no idea how long you think I have been riding a motorcycle. I don't really want to guess either....

I have owned and ridden quite a few bikes without a side stand interlock but have never seen a Japanese bike that will crank but not have spark when the kill switch is in the 'OFF' position. As I said though, I have not seen / ridden / worked on / seen demonstrated / every Japanese bike ever made.

Now about mentioning the <k-word>, I am rather surprised you did that. You are the first one to do so in this thread and you know how it tends to attract.... er, that undesirable element. So if that happens, it is on your head this time.

::) ;D :P

Brian

Either you haven't been riding as long as I thought or your memory is starting to fade.  I'm guessing the "no cranking with the kill switch off" took place about the same time as the sidestand ignition lock.  My early '80's Hondas have neither of those features.

As to PC problems, there have been more reported strandings caused by Power Commanders than by KiPass, but fortunately the PC failures do not seem to provoke the vitriol.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline marku8a

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
If you have AAA they should cover the haul cost.  Your insurance may also.  If they say it was not a roadside haul, push it out to the street.

You know, I didn't think of that. Good idea!

Are you getting any error at all on the display? It almost sounds like a cam sensor is bad... but you'd think you'd fire an error code for that.

No Error displayed.

AAA will not touch a motorcycle (tow, jump, anything at all) is the member has the standard AAA membership. I understand there is a rider that is available to go with an AAA membership but it is for RV's or something similarly strange (buying an RV rider to cover a motorcycle is odd to me).

You are correct sir. I heard the same. I am AAA a member and called today. They will cover motorcycles with a MC/RV addition to the standard membership. The cost is $37 in addition to the standard membership. This is good for a pickup and 7 miles of transport. The next level up is $105 (auto and MC) and good for 100 miles. I was skeptical about what they use for transport so I called the local AAA tow company. They use a flatbed. Their drivers are trained to load bikes. They guy said "We do it all the time. Not to worry". I would assume that they know what they are doing since AAA uses them.

I did manage to have AAA pick me up on my bicycle once, no kidding. I had a blowout (tire shot I carry spare tubes) and was 5 miles away from help in either direction. So I grab my cell phone and...A story for another thread!
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
I have no idea how long you think I have been riding a motorcycle. I don't really want to guess either....

I have owned and ridden quite a few bikes without a side stand interlock but have never seen a Japanese bike that will crank but not have spark when the kill switch is in the 'OFF' position. As I said though, I have not seen / ridden / worked on / seen demonstrated / every Japanese bike ever made.

Now about mentioning the <k-word>, I am rather surprised you did that. You are the first one to do so in this thread and you know how it tends to attract.... er, that undesirable element. So if that happens, it is on your head this time.

Brian
I figured you'd been riding for about 30 years.

As you wish.  It just surprises me that you never saw a 4 cylinder Gold Wing.  Or a CX/GL v-twin.  Or a sohc CB750.  Or a dohc CB750.  Or CB550.  Or any Honda made prior to 1984.  Or perhaps any later Honda - I'm pretty sure my Nighthawk S would spin the starter with the kill switch off - maybe ask Dan Bergman, as he still has one.  All my old bikes are/were Hondas, so IDK what the other mfgs did.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 06:06:50 AM »
Ah, see that is where things begin to go wrong: I have seen the original 4 cylinder Gold Wings, both the 1000 and 1100's. Back when they were naked bikes or had Windjammers on them. And I very well remember the original 750 / fours, and even had the treat of riding an original K1 many years ago. Now that said, two things come up- I have never owned a Honda in my life (it just never worked out that way, no other reason) and two, I would not have tinkered with seeing if the kill switch prevented the starter turning on a bike I was offered to ride, or a bike I happen to be looking over, etc.

Early Kawasakis, Suzukis and Yamahas would not crank with the kill switch in the off position if memory serves. Again, it sounds like the Honda might have been a little unusual back in the early days?

40 years of street riding (with breaks here and there), and I was dirt riding at 11 years old although I stopped doing that when I started with road bikes (I thought dirt riding was more dangerous and street riding was safer).

Brian

I figured you'd been riding for about 30 years.

As you wish.  It just surprises me that you never saw a 4 cylinder Gold Wing.  Or a CX/GL v-twin.  Or a sohc CB750.  Or a dohc CB750.  Or CB550.  Or any Honda made prior to 1984.  Or perhaps any later Honda - I'm pretty sure my Nighthawk S would spin the starter with the kill switch off - maybe ask Dan Bergman, as he still has one.  All my old bikes are/were Hondas, so IDK what the other mfgs did.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
it will crank and not fire if a cam location sensor is not working correctly, or diconnected...just saying.

oh, AMA's MoTow+ covers all vehicals in the family for the same price as your "add on rider plan" with AAA, why would anyone pay AAA for the services at the inflated price they have????

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:07 AM »
To locate the basic .. (not mechanical engine) .. fault I often find the following may help;

1. Put my hand near the high voltage spark plug leads and see if I get shocked when I crank the motor. *if you have some way of doing a spark gap test if the spark is blue your fine if yellow orange you are not okay*

2. If I have a spark .. I use a small spray of starter fluid then crack the motor .. remove air filter before you spray .. also if I think bad gas I add some Sea Foam and rock the bike back and forth for 10 or so times.

NOTE: Both of the above can get you and/or others including connie hurt, so be careful or get someone else to do the dirty work

I often will crack the engine and check the exhaust pipe to see if I can smell gas fumes .. if I smell fumes I assume the fuel system is okay and something is up with either the electrical system (ignition) or compression.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:17:22 PM by CrashKLRtoConnie »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »

As to PC problems, there have been more reported strandings caused by Power Commanders than by KiPass, but fortunately the PC failures do not seem to provoke the vitriol.

I think that's because Capt'n Bob didn't get stranded by a PC, at least that I know of. I'm positive he will correct me if I'm wrong.  8)

Bob

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
I think that's because Capt'n Bob didn't get stranded by a PC, at least that I know of. I'm positive he will correct me if I'm wrong.  8)

Me too! But mine ran just long enough to get me about a mile down the road! It's not fun pushing this monster!   ;D

Bob

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »

:rotflmao:

Although there have been a quite a few power commander failures on the C14's. It is not even close to people who have had KIPASS problems. With all do respect Clyde. Your so full of **** it's coming out your ears! How can you even say that with a straight face! Show me your numbers Clyde. Document or retract! After putting up with your BS in the past. I sat here for an hour one day and did a quick search (kipass failures) of people who had had KIPASS problems. Some just a short stranding until they got it working again others on the trailer to the dealer. I quoted about 40 people before I stopped posting (there were more there too!). So as you have said in the past document or retract! Too bad you won't see this since I'm sure you have me blocked!  ::)

There now you have some vitriol. Of course you tend to bring it on yourself! But to be fair, so do I!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:50:16 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
Nice job Clyde! Now you have Godzilla awake and stomping and smashing his way through the downtown forum.  >:(   Sure, we can call out the army, navy and air force but like in the movie, it won't do any good- he'll just keep on destroying everything in his path with his atomic breath. The only thing that can save us is the Dr. Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer!

Godzilla is a combination of two Japanese words: Gorira, meaning 'KiPass', and Kurija, meaning 'hater'.

KiPass- the gift that keeps on giving.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  and.... chuckle.

Brian

Although there have been a quite a few power commander failures on the C14's. It is not even close to people who have had KIPASS problems. With all do respect Clyde. Your so full of crap it's coming out your ears! How can you even say that with a straight face! Show me your numbers Clyde. Document or retract! After putting up with your BS in the past. I sat here for an hour one day and did a quick search (kipass failures) of people who had had KIPASS problems. Some just a short stranding until they got it working again others on the trailer to the dealer. I quoted about 40 people before I stopped posting. So as you have said in the past document or retract! Too bad you won't see this since I'm sure you have me blocked!  ::)

There now you have some vitriol. Of course you tend to bring it on yourself! But to be fair, so do I!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »

Although there have been a quite a few power commander failures on the C14's. It is not even close to people who have had KIPASS problems. With all do respect Clyde. Your so full of **** it's coming out your ears! How can you even say that with a straight face! Show me your numbers Clyde. Document or retract! After putting up with your BS in the past. I sat here for an hour one day and did a quick search (kipass failures) of people who had had KIPASS problems. Some just a short stranding until they got it working again others on the trailer to the dealer. I quoted about 40 people before I stopped posting (there were more there too!). So as you have said in the past document or retract! Too bad you won't see this since I'm sure you have me blocked!  ::)

Bob, as much as I would like to agree with you on this subject I think Clyde is right.  Based on anecdotal evidence, which isn't scientific at all, and me being here for quite a bit, it seems to me that I have seen more PC 'issues' than KIPASS problems.  Bad connections, total failures, weird stuff happening, etc... 

I'll stick with KIPASS, thank you very much...... 

I know how this stuff affects you and I appreciate your comments but let's not start with the name calling...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
Nice job Clyde! Now you have Godzilla awake and stomping and smashing his way through the downtown forum.  >:(   Sure, we can call out the army, navy, moderators, and air force but like in the movie, it won't do any good- he'll just keep on destroying everything in his path with his atomic breath. The only thing that can save us is the Dr. Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer!

Godzilla is a combination of two Japanese words: Gorira, meaning 'KiPass', and Kurija, meaning 'hater'.

Brian

Fixed it for you....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Sofa King

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »

Brian

That's been a running joke with motorcycle types for years.  Flip the kill kill and watch the guy try to figure out why it won't start.  In fact while my C14 won't do it, my 2007 Suzuki M50 did.  Trust me, I felt like a dipstick sitting there at the gas station trying to figure out why is suddenly wouldn't start.  And, in fact, this is the first bike I've have that the kill switch prevents the starter from turning over.  So, probably just a funny set of circumstances is all....but maybe I just have been riding the cheap models? :)

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
 :popcorn: never a dull moment here!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Yep...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »
Nice job Clyde! Now you have Godzilla awake and stomping and smashing his way through the downtown forum.  >:(   Sure, we can call out the army, navy and air force but like in the movie, it won't do any good- he'll just keep on destroying everything in his path with his atomic breath. The only thing that can save us is the Dr. Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer!

Brian

Nice to have you back Brian.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Hey, good to be back. But I could not have done it without my lovely assistants, Cap'n Bob and LT1 (Clyde). Let's give a big hand to these fine folks. And I think in the end we owe it all to KiPass, master of ignitions and emotional peaks.

;D

Brian

Nice to have you back Brian.   

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »

Brian

Actually, I think you mistake Mothra for Godzilla.    If I were wanting to thoroughly hijack the thread, I would mention how well KiPass and Comagination headlight monitors work together.
Then the spittle would start flying.  Here, kitty, kitty.

What's even better, is that I have learned how to activate the "Ignore" function, both personally and on the forum.   8)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Bob

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 02:43:06 AM »
 Typical Clyde! When someone else makes a statement that he does not belive, he makes brutally direct and normally nasty comments to them. In the past, I said there were a lot of KIPASS failures. Your comments Clyde, were "document or retract". And then you used some corn ball phrase like "I call Bull-hockey on you"!
 So when you ask Clyde to provide numbers to prove his own statement with his own words, "document or retract". You get I hit the ignore button! The problem with you Clyde is that you love to push your holier than thou attitude on others. Yet the same rules don't apply to you! You claim to be a man of faith, yet you act you act in untruths and deceptions!   
 So you made a statement something to the effect, that there have been more power commander failures than KIPASS. I won't be so delicate since you don't want to respond. I call bull $h!t on you Clyde. I documented about 40 KIPASS failures and could have kept going. So now I ask the same of you. As you have said, "document or retract"!  I know, you have me on the ignore button.  It wouldn't matter because I seriously doubt you would find even close to that many actual C14 power commander failures.    ;)