Author Topic: removing only one cam- bolt sequence  (Read 1739 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
removing only one cam- bolt sequence
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
If you are removing only the exhaust cam to change shims should all cam cap bolts be loosened in the prescribed sequence or can the sequence be changed to include only the exhaust cam caps?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline JamminJere

Re: removing only one cam- bolt sequence
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »
Are you sure there is enough play in the cam chain to remove the tensioner, guides, and then to be able to sneak out one cam without removing the other???

I've never seen this done before..

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
Just remove the cap bolts on the cam you want to remove. Leave the other cam caps alone.

You have nothing to lose trying to remove the exhaust cam only because if it does not work you will simply have to remove the intake cam as well. I do think I always had to remove the intake cam first though to get enough slack in the chain to remove the exhaust cam. I may just be associating that sequence though and it is not really nessasary. In the end, don't remove any more cams than you have to as it will just make the job take longer with absolutely no gain at all.

Brian

If you are removing only the exhaust cam to change shims should all cam cap bolts be loosened in the prescribed sequence or can the sequence be changed to include only the exhaust cam caps?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I just now removed the EX cam without any difficulty. Left the Intake cap bolts alone. Intitially the cam chain did not want to give any slack after removing the tensioner. I had to poke chain guide with a finger to get it loose. Going to swap shims now.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.