Author Topic: Large items on the back of my C14  (Read 925 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Large items on the back of my C14
« on: April 12, 2022, 04:51:12 PM »
I've already transported ridiculous things on the back of my motorcycle. The most ridiculous was an inversion table.

I was wondering if anyone has strapped down an EZ-UP? I'm thinking about taking mine camping and was wondering if someone out there has a method before I just throw it on there and figure it out.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Large items on the back of my C14
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 01:37:58 AM »
Be aware that the grab rails that support the rack are also plastic. They look like metal but they are not.
A few have snapped off.
On my C10 I have carried some pretty heavy loads (50+lbs) but that is a metal rack bolted to the metal subframe.
On the C14 I wouldn't risk much more than 15lbs on the rack without bracing it somehow.
If you are carrying the weight on the rear seat then fill yer boots. That subframe can handle a couple of hundred lbs.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »
Box with the front Canyon Cages.  Was pretty heavy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 10:38:38 AM »
I had no idea they're plastic. I did some digging and found that they're PA66 with 50% glass fiber. That makes them fairly sturdy. At least Kawasaki sprung for the good plastic. But it is also good to know that they are not metal. I think I'll sling the canopy across the passenger seat and use my rear canyon cages as the front anchor and the grab bars as the rear. I've had my fiance back there, so I know it'll hold at least that much.

I was kinda worried about going wide across the seat because of the saddle bags. I didn't want them supporting the weight of anything. I think I will just put something on the seat first to give it some space, and also make it so I can get in the bags without disassembling everything. This should be interesting.

Here's a pic of my ridiculousness. 4 of the heavy duty rokstraps holding it down.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »
Just don’t forget how wide you are.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 04:51:00 PM »
Just don’t forget how wide you are.

Is that a fat joke?!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 05:18:49 PM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 05:20:02 PM »
My plate IS a quote from Lord Humungus.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Here's a pic of my ridiculousness. 4 of the heavy duty rokstraps holding it down.

LOL!  Ok, you ARE a wide load :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 02:58:49 PM »
Bear in mind that the first sandwich carrier was replaced by recall because it was failing.  After that we did have at least one report of the replacement sandwich rack failing.  If you are going to carry heavy items, get an aftermarket metal one.  Those plastic racks are crap.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.