Author Topic: DIY respirators against fumes, dust, mold etc  (Read 1092 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
DIY respirators against fumes, dust, mold etc
« on: February 20, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »
I need a DIY type respirator for some home improvement work. I know HD sells some 3M respirators. Many choices and mostly affordable. ~50 bucks or less.

I saw some 3M half face respirators which I liked.

I mostly need to keep paint, lacquer, stripper fumes out. What do you guys recommend?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 10:19:44 PM by DC Concours »

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: DIY respirators against fumes, dust, mold etc
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 12:52:16 AM »
For the most part, any setup that has a carbon filter, or one suitable for organic vapors. I use an antique Binks.

Pesticides and herbicides will probably need a unique filter, same for radioactive and/or asbestos. Get one that's comfy, it should have a non woven prefilter (for particulates), easy changing of the prime filter, easy clean (lotso sweat generated), comfy, easy to clean, prefilter, etc.

Store the facemask in a zip-log type baggie when not in use, else the facemask will eventually clean the air in the house/shop via osmosis. And I'm unanimous in that.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
Thank you Rick. I am going to get the 3M 6000 series half face mask from Amazon or HD.

As for the filter cartridge...What do you think of this?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000075262/

When they say "certain gases or organic vapors" will it stop paint fumes, epoxy fumes, thinner fumes, etc., etc as expected when doing some diy home repair?

I get asthma as soon as any of this chems hit my nose.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:39:38 AM »
As for the filter cartridge...What do you think of this?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000075262/

When they say "certain gases or organic vapors" will it stop paint fumes, epoxy fumes, thinner fumes, etc., etc as expected when doing some diy home repair?

Pretty color, very festive.

At the risk of putting my butt in a sling, it should work just fine for painting solvents and most painting fumes. Unsure it's suitable for ammonia, acid fumes, CO, poisonous gasses (cyanide comes to mind).

As the filter reaches capacity, many people say it starts to smell like vinegar. Pre-filters should come in a multi pack, they only filter dust and particulates. You'll know when they plug up.

I worked with epoxy for a number of years, unmasked, never noticed anything. Others will get a reaction, or rash, after an arbitrary amount of time. The reaction generally goes away once out of the epoxy environment. The allergy is cumulative, it abates, but will come back quicker and stronger. Wear a mask.

Rick

Edit to add. I'm not a doctor, especially yours. If you get asthma from fumes, consider a full face. The eyes are a semi-open pipeline, think cutting onions or entering an elevator just after someone cut the Limburger. Contact lenses mixed with hot pepper juice on fingers is a winner too.

But wait, there's more! Appears the festive filter above is a package unit, organic vapers AND a particulate filter. May be a liability issue, 3M has been sued more than once. No biggie I guess, but if you only need particulate filtering, need to buy a filter specific to that. My antique Binks has screw in carbon filters with a loose non woven particulate filter that is retained with a snap on cap. For just particulate, I grab an N95 or med mask.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 07:38:03 PM »
My need for a respirator is new, and was recommended by my doc due to my new found asthma after covid. She said it is good practice for anyone especially with what she calls forever chemicals and lung cancer being the most common cancer for men! She didn't say anything about a full face mask but it is a good idea though. I was looking at some on amazon and boy are they expensive. $200+ for a good one. I just figured I could use safety goggles but I don't remember of they are airtight. Or maybe swim goggles. Way cheaper than 200 bucks.

And I know... the colors are quite festive with 3M. I just wish it wasn't hot pink like that!!!

Speaking of 3M these are the available cartridges below and you are right, acid and other caustic fumes need acid filters. And they do have snap-on 95% and 100% particulate filters too, like yours.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1687482O/select-the-right-cartridges-and-filters-reusable-respirators-english.pdf

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000435908/

I think if you are looking for a new colorful respirator-- look no further!