Author Topic: Windshield micro scratches  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
Windshield micro scratches
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
So my windshield is completely full of micro scratches from me cleaning it.  I take great care of my bike.  I just bought it in March and it's in perfect condition.  But apparently the windshield can't take being cleaned in the same manner as my helmet's face shield.  My helmet is 3 years old and the original face shield has been pummeled by bugs hundreds of times and cleaned with a paper towel and windex.   Now the windshield is not all that horrible but when you see it in the sunlight, it's pretty noticeable.  This irritates me.   

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Windshield micro scratches
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
You can buff it and remove any fine scratches with a micro fiber towel and Novus #2 polish. It will take some time but the windshield will look like new if you are careful and thorough.

Another option is to buy and use a headlight restoration buffing kit. Skip all the steps involving the sandpaper and just use the foam pad and the liquid abrasive polish. I use the foam pad with Novus #2 with excellent results.

Brian

So my windshield is completely full of micro scratches from me cleaning it.  I take great care of my bike.  I just bought it in March and it's in perfect condition.  But apparently the windshield can't take being cleaned in the same manner as my helmet's face shield.  My helmet is 3 years old and the original face shield has been pummeled by bugs hundreds of times and cleaned with a paper towel and windex.   Now the windshield is not all that horrible but when you see it in the sunlight, it's pretty noticeable.  This irritates me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
+1... a plastic polish and a microfiber towell should get them out.

It was most likely the papertowell you used to clean it that scratched it, I only use a microfiber towell wetted with water to clean mine.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
Don't waste any more of your time cleaning or polishing the windshield.  This is not a Harley, no need to make sure your chromes are all polish.  Windshield is going to get scratched, your front end is going to be pepper by sand and rocks on the road.  LEAVE IT ALONE!

...Let's go ride.   8)
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Here is a link to products for maintaining canopies on fixed-wing gliders. These canopies start at about $3,000 and the owners are fanatical about keeping them as clear and glare free as possible. They are made of the same stuff as motorcycle windscreens (CeeBailey has been selling aircraft windows far longer than motorcyle windscreens). This is the best stuff you can use:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/glider_canopies.htm

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
I use meguiars clear plastic polish and clear plastic cleaner and it works great and only takes a couple minutes to do

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
I use meguiars clear plastic polish and clear plastic cleaner and it works great and only takes a couple minutes to do

+1 for use on my C14 CB Ultra Tour
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
+1

You must be sleep deprived, can't even add (1 + 1 = 2)  ;D ::)  What the heck are you doing up so late anyway?

+3 on the Meguiar's products, like their boat wax too!
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline booger

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
Don't waste any more of your time cleaning or polishing the windshield.  This is not a Harley, no need to make sure your chromes are all polish.  Windshield is going to get scratched, your front end is going to be pepper by sand and rocks on the road.  LEAVE IT ALONE!

...Let's go ride.   8)

I keep my bike spotless.  It's too big of an investment not to. ;)

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »
My helmet is 3 years old and the original face shield has been pummeled by bugs hundreds of times and cleaned with a paper towel and windex.   Now the windshield is not all that horrible but when you see it in the sunlight, it's pretty noticeable.  This irritates me.

You should never use Windex or any other ammonia based cleaner to clean plastic!  Right there is the cause of your scratches.  The paper towel probably isn't helping either, but its more the ammonia that causes those scuffs.  When we switched to all LCD monitors at work, we had a bunch of people use Windex and now have permanently damaged screens.  Not sure why your helmet shield has held up better - probably a different composite. 

I find using just a microfiber cloth and water usually does the job.  I usually get one soaking wet and lay it over the shield and let it sit for a minute and break up the bugs before wiping it off.  If you need to use cleaner, use a vinegar based cleaner or other that specifically states its designed for plastic. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
The shields may be made of different material but on my stock Goldwing shield I had a very irksome speck in my line of sight so I kept after it with plastic polish and now I have an area surrounding the speck that appears to have had a thin clear coating and I have removed the coating from the area I agressively polished. I still have the speck, so I'd advise against agressive use of any "scratch removers" that contain abrasives. If there's a clear coating on the shield it may be the coating that's scratched.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
You should never use Windex or any other ammonia based cleaner to clean plastic!  Right there is the cause of your scratches.  The paper towel probably isn't helping either, but its more the ammonia that causes those scuffs.  When we switched to all LCD monitors at work, we had a bunch of people use Windex and now have permanently damaged screens.

Actually, no.  Ammonia will cause the plastic to degrade (permanently cloud and smear), but does not cause scratches.  Paper towels will do that.  For cleaning plastic, shields, monitors, etc, it is best to use alcohol (iso or denatured grain with distilled water) on a microfiber cloth.  Works well for glass too... really, ammonia is bad stuff for the modern world.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

Me too......its pretty good stuff.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »
I use Pledge and microfiber cloths to clean mine.

As for polishing, I have some 3M polish that works nice.

Just be aware that OEM windshield are cheaply made compared to aftermarket windshield. They will exhibit spider/micro scratches after every cleaning, just about...

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 05:20:31 AM »

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Offline Jack Daniels

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:14 AM »

...Let's go ride.   8)

I ride, I just keep my bike (and my cars for that matter) really clean.  :)

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 05:30:59 AM »
Plastic polish will work for sure.  Any fine rubbing compound will also work.  Same same.  I scratched a shield really bad with a scotch-brite pad (cause I'm an idiot).  Hit it with 3M fine compound and a porter cable buffer.  All is well.  10 minutes.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
There are two kinds of wind screens out there and it makes a huge difference on how you clean them. But, NONE of them will stand up to much cleaning with a paper towel. Paper is made from wood fiber and it just scratches plastics. Same thing with the window towels that you find at the gas station. They're made for cleaning, well, glass.

The first type (like the Concours) is acrylic, commonly called Plexiglass (which is a brand name). It is a harder surface, but it not very crack resistant. It is very weather resistant though. You can use isopropyl alcohol followed by a water rinse. Just be aware that the bug guts will also likely be abrasive to the screen so be sure you're not rubbing that bug back and forth across the screen. Personally, I just use a warm water soaked micro-fiber cloth, turning it often. Then, dry it with another one.

The second type, which you'll find on bikes like the Gold Wing, is made from polycarbonate, commonly called Lexan (which is also a brand name). Polycarbonate is very crack & impact resistant, but it's also very soft. As such, they have to put on a harder coating to protect the soft surface from scratches. Do a lot of buffing or use a compound on it and you're liable to work your way right through the coating. Once you expose the bare polycarbonate, you might as well start looking for another screen. Polycarbonate doesn't like the elements and will start to craze and haze up once the coating is gone. Many car headlights are coated polycarbonate and eventually all of the road crud will wear though the coating and that's why they cloud up. You can use the same isopropyl alcohol to clean the screen, just don't forget the water rinse.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold