Author Topic: Tree patterns?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Tree patterns?
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »

I had some trees cut down recently.  Does anyone know what causes the strange patterns in this maple?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Tree patterns?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »
Could be borer infestation inside the tree. I can't tell if the patterns are hollow or dead wood. The larvae and adults can do this depending on the type of borers infesting the tree and how long it has been going on.

That is far from a normal ring pattern.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:03:29 AM »
Or if the trees were ever tapped for their sap, either by people, bugs or birds.
Cut thin slices and see how far each pattern carries on.
Can also be caused by lightning strikes but those dark patterns tend to be more random.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:03:40 AM »
Some of that looks like burn marks from the saw . Maybe dull chain ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »
I had some trees cut down recently.  Does anyone know what causes the strange patterns in this maple?

I recently had three Maples in my yard removed. My wife and I planted the largest back in 1986, this one was HUGE and had a 43" diameter stump!!!

All three of these Maples had that inner light gray wood that you are showing. Not the darker strange looking wood that you also have.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 08:49:33 AM »
DC,
Bug damage. Yes, certainly a possibility.  It is not hollow, the dark wood is hard.

Boomer,
Being tapped by a previous owner is certainly possible.  The pattern goes for about 20 feet in that tree, and there are similar marks in a couple other maples, but not that length.  I don't believe lightning caused it.

Cra-z,
The saws were very sharp, went thru them like butter.   They had to be sharp to go thru these dense maples, which is heavier than the white oaks that got cut/trimmed.

Conrad,
Trees that large provide a lot of wood.  What did you do with it?   This wood will go north to the ski house for burning.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »
DC,
Bug damage. Yes, certainly a possibility.  It is not hollow, the dark wood is hard.

Boomer,
Being tapped by a previous owner is certainly possible.  The pattern goes for about 20 feet in that tree, and there are similar marks in a couple other maples, but not that length.  I don't believe lightning caused it.

Cra-z,
The saws were very sharp, went thru them like butter.   They had to be sharp to go thru these dense maples, which is heavier than the white oaks that got cut/trimmed.

Conrad,
Trees that large provide a lot of wood.  What did you do with it?   This wood will go north to the ski house for burning.

Thanks for the replies.

We have a large centrally located wood stove in the house. If necessary I can pretty much heat the entire house with this thing, except for the basement that is. I'm all set for wood for the next few years... 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 04:43:54 AM »
Cut down another cluster of maples, there were six growing together.  They all had the markings.  These are sugar maples.   I'm leaning towards insects as the cause, but can't confirm yet.  The markings run thru most of the length of the trees.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 05:57:53 AM »
You have a lot of trees :)

I only had one significant tree on my 100x75 lot, a silver maple, like all my neighbors (at one point).  They are unofficially called "trash trees" due to their brittleness, limited life, and susceptibility to issues.  It was already 40 years old, 20 years ago.  Sure enough, it was infested with mistletoe and dying, like all the other silver maples in my neighborhood, and I had to take it down.  Now there are probably only a few left in a square mile.

What I have left are medium-sized- a few crate myrtles, Japanese privets, and Nellie Steven holly.  Things look so much different from 30 years ago.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 07:37:11 AM »
Cut down another cluster of maples, there were six growing together.  They all had the markings.  These are sugar maples.   I'm leaning towards insects as the cause, but can't confirm yet.  The markings run thru most of the length of the trees.

That's so strange!

I hauled the remainder of my cut up trees to the back of my yard yesterday. I'll have to rent a splitter to get it all split. Fun stuff.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »
Looks like lightening damage based on what I've read about on the 'net.  Not all lightening blows a tree up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »
Looks like lightening damage based on what I've read about on the 'net.  Not all lightening blows a tree up.

I don't think the odds are great that all his maples were struck by lightening, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
It appears that the color spreads outward from the center than inward from the bark. Maple trees can host several diseases - my vote is Verticillium Wilt.  "This is a much more serious disease that affects all kinds of maples, but Sugar Maple and Silver Maple are the ones most commonly affected. It can also affect Japanese Maple. This disease is another fungus that enters through the roots and blocks the water passages inside the tree. The lack of water and nutrients flowing through the tree causes branches to die; at first small ones high up in the tree and later whole limbs lose their leaves and die. Often this is first noticed when a branch starts to show fall colors in late summer, long before other trees begin to color at all.

After a few years no more leaves will grow and the branch will die. Sometimes the disease spreads quickly and a tree may die in a few years. Other times a tree may live for a long time, slowly becoming weaker and less attractive, but never dying completely. You can often confirm that you have Verticillium Wilt by taking a branch that is showing these symptoms and cutting it across. You will see brown staining of the wood in a circle a little below the bark. This confirms you have the disease, but its absence doesn’t mean you don’t." https://www.thetreecenter.com/maple-tree-diseases/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 01:28:31 PM »
I don't think the odds are great that all his maples were struck by lightening, though.

Why not?  Lightening does strike in the same places all the time.  Maybe it's that strange lightening that floats around looking for Maple trees.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 12:32:30 PM »

I checked with a reliable source in the tree business, and in his professional opinion, he said the initial wound is caused by a borer, not sure which one, and the discoloration is fungal, not sure which one.  There are two things that stain wood, mineral streaking and fungus.

In searching for the cause, I stumbled across someone on Etsy selling slices of wood with a star pattern on them for $30.  Hmm, I could have a gold mine here  ;)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »
Sell it don't burn it. :)
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 06:55:17 AM »
There you go! Slice up a few of those things and offer em up for sale.

What's the worst that can happen? Um, never mind answering that.   :o

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 07:04:15 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:17 AM »
Well that makes more sense but lightening is more exciting..

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:17 AM »
Confirmed this is caused by a native species of Ceratocystis.  A very common pathogen in the environment, but not overly aggressive and rarely kills trees alone.  Aside from the staining, there is no significant damage to the wood as it is likely just as structurally stable as the surrounding wood. 

https://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/research_papers/pdfs/scanned/OCR/ne_rp675.pdf  Ref figure 12 for similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratocystis_coerulescens

Thanks to all replies.