Author Topic: 2011 Tour De France Chase Bikes  (Read 2475 times)

Offline SonnyC

• Live long and enjoy life to its' fullest.
2011 Tour De France Chase Bikes
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
I've been watching the 2011 Tour De France and noticed a significant number of Kawasaki Concours14 or GTR1400 are being used as chase bikes and also as a platform for the official race photographers and referees.  This venue used to be exclusively 100% BMW, mostly RTs'.  It started two years ago when I first noticed the GTR1400 being utilized in this iconic race.  It is nice to see that a non-European bike like ours is being recognized as a reliable, stable and quick steering platform to negotiate the narrow, fast and sometimes twisty course of "Tour De France".  If you want to see the Tour watch how these skillful bicyclist and motorcyclist avoid each other along the narrow streets of France, tune in to the Versus channel.

Disclaimer: I am in no way employed nor have a fiduciary relationship with the Versus Channel, Tour De France, BMW and Kawasaki.  Just a happy Concours14 rider.

Offline turtle

Re: 2011 Tour De France Chase Bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
They also used C10s for various things at some point in the past.  Not a big Tour follower ... just happen to have these pics from the old screen saver.
Bill
COG #1916
2001 C10 (lots of mods)

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »
This is my first year watching the Tour de France, and I noticed, right away, the GTR1400. All I have to say is from head on the bike looks huge (no wonder the cars move to the right when I roll up on them. They see this big black bike growing in their mirror.  ;D
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Shoe

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start another thread. I've been following the Tour since before Lance Armstrong got sick. The Concours has always been there as well as various BMW models. Watch carefully you will see some new 1600 BMW's and an occasional FJ.

Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing