Author Topic: Police Shoot Concrete Alligator Stone Dead  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Conrad

Police Shoot Concrete Alligator Stone Dead
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/gator-gets-shot-while-guarding-home/question-1853997/

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (AP) - Police responding to a rare alligator sighting in suburban Kansas City took quick action to dispatch of the beast, shooting it in the head, as instructed, while it lurked menacingly in the weeds leading down to a pond.

It wasn't until a second rifle shot bounced off the reptile's head that the officers realized they had mortally wounded a concrete lawn ornament.

A resident of a subdivision near the pond called police Saturday evening to report that his children spotted the alligator while they were playing in some nearby woods.

After consulting a conservation agent, who told them to kill the gator if they felt it posed a danger, one of the officers shot it twice in the head before realizing something was up, said Tom Gentry, an Independence police spokesman.

"It didn't move," Gentry said. "They inched up closer and closer and discovered it was a mock-up of a real alligator made to look like it was real."

In the officers' defense, it was growing dark when they shot the fake gator and it was partially submerged in the weeds.

The property owner told police that the gator was meant to keep people off his property, Gentry said. Officers told him a no-trespassing sign would have been wiser.

"Now he'll have to patch up his alligator," Gentry said.

Conservation agent Derek Cole said the department has received calls in the past about alligators that had been set free in populated areas, so there was no reason to believe the Saturday sighting wasn't valid.

"The department doesn't get involved in something like that," Cole said. "They asked if they could go ahead and dispatch it if it was a danger, and I said there's a kill shot on alligators, a small kill shot on the head. I said if they can get a shot like that, go ahead."
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

Re: Police Shoot Concrete Alligator Stone Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
On private property?  The city should pay all costs associated with repairs.  Why wasnt the owner notified before attempting to dispatch this dangerous piece of concrete?  And where did the bullets end up?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
This would be a GREAT trick to play on a neighbor you don't like.  ;D

Just saying . . .

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
I know gators will sit still for hours but I thought the eyes would reflect light.  Overall the story is a bit funny, again where did the bullets go...
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Not4Hire

• Arena
  • & Western-The only two types of music there is...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
Couldn't they just have lured the 'gator into a truck with bricks and released it in a quarry?
 8)
'90-clean one owner-Not4Hire (or sale)
-wants a C14 SO bad--"Non Sequitur" will be her name 
1533, from L., lit. "it does not follow."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:02:25 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:06 AM »
Couldn't they just have lured the 'gator into a truck with bricks and released it in a quarry?
 8)

:rotflmao:   :thumbs:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Great guys, just great.  Turn this tragedy into something funny, next thing you know Jim will post a picture of his Solstice evening at the nudist camp :o

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
It was a see-ment alligator out by the see-ment pond!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Great guys, just great.  Turn this tragedy into something funny, next thing you know Jim will post a picture of his Solstice evening at the nudist camp :o

Oh Lord, I certainly hope not!!!!

Offline koval68

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
That's funny... :rotflmao:   :thumbs:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
I don't know which Jim you are referring to but if it's me I've never been to a nudist camp.  Actually there is one here in VA that I have 'heard' of but I've never been to it.  Well, I've been by it but never stopped.....  I wonder if Google Earth knows anything about it....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
I don't know which Jim you are referring to but if it's me I've never been to a nudist camp.  Actually there is one here in VA that I have 'heard' of but I've never been to it.  Well, I've been by it but never stopped.....  I wonder if Google Earth knows anything about it....
Google pics of VA show some guy on a horse (cement) with a trailer full of metal clothing.   8)  He had some kinda fancy glass half full of liquid and a jar of olives in his lap :yikes:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
This 'gator thing is great. And a few less motorcyclists got hassled by the man!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
I have always wanted to go to a nudist beach but i am always afraid that I will stick out :o ::) :P
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
I have always wanted to go to a nudist beach but i am always afraid that I will stick out :o ::) :P

This is now my facebook status!!!!

Offline Not4Hire

• Arena
  • & Western-The only two types of music there is...
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
I don't know which Jim you are referring to but if it's me I've never been to a nudist camp.  Actually there is one here in VA that I have 'heard' of but I've never been to it.  Well, I've been by it but never stopped.....

"and if I stopped, I didn't stay very long..."

a slippery slope, gentlemen. A very slippery slope...
 8)
'90-clean one owner-Not4Hire (or sale)
-wants a C14 SO bad--"Non Sequitur" will be her name 
1533, from L., lit. "it does not follow."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Slippery indeed....  :rotflmao:

Actually this is what I like about this forum.  We start off with concrete alligators being shot at by the the police and then morph to nudists camps....  It's all good.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
Slippery indeed....  :rotflmao:

Actually this is what I like about this forum.  We start off with concrete alligators being shot at by the the police and then morph to nudists camps....  It's all good.

I agree!!!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
Anyone notice Jim didnt deny the jar of olives? ;)