Author Topic: Any rumored changes for 14?  (Read 36481 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Any rumored changes for 14?
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
If I'm on a mission I can hold the 250 miles range on the saddle on my '08, but more often than not I either enjoy the drive (meaning I use more than the 20 or so HP necessary to move a bike of this weight and aerodynamics at 60 mph) or my butt and brain tell me to make a 15 minutes pause to regain strength and concentration.
I once did 310 miles non stop on a K1600, but I was going to Budapest, Hungary, and I knew I was going to park it in the hotel garage and not drive it for a couple of days, so it was ok. My girlfriend didn't talk to me for those couple of days, too. That was a bonus  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Even with my Russell seat, I find I need to stop at least every 100 miles or so..  I think the fuel range is fine, myself.  However, if one has been used to longer ranges in other bikes before the C14, I can see where one might think it lacking.  I had a C10 before my C14 and the range on that bike was very good, although I very rarely went from tank to tank.  My 08 suits me as is.

Me too. I used to go tank to tank on my Valkyrie but it only had about 135 mile range and I would stop about every 100 miles. Now with the C14 I can do 200 but still prefer to stop every 100. In places like Wyoming it is about not worrying if you can make it to another gas station. I still ride with 2 brothers and a son who are on Valkyries, and for them it is a problem.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
Back when I had my Camel (05 ST1300), I could go tank to tank pretty easy, 300+ miles.  That was 7-8 years and several lower back procedures ago.  8)  The ~200 mile range I get is about right, now.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
Up until now I've always stopped filling about a 1/4 inch below the fuel neck next time I will try filling all the way to the neck and see how much extra range that adds.

I am not sure.  But I always fill up to a little above the plate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Madcow

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
I will try filling all the way to the neck and see how much extra range that adds.
I dont think I would try that, the C-14 has the same warning the 03 Z1000 has. I read on riderforums of people filling the tank all the way & gas getting into the charcoal canister they posted about the bikes stalling or losing power.
The cool gas expands from the engine heat or the gas tank being in the sun.
I fill to the plate.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
I dont think I would try that, the C-14 has the same warning the 03 Z1000 has. I read on riderforums of people filling the tank all the way & gas getting into the charcoal canister they posted about the bikes stalling or losing power.
The cool gas expands from the engine heat or the gas tank being in the sun.
I fill to the plate.
Only CA bikes have the cannister crap. I fill mine up the very tippy top, rocking the bike slightly to burp the air out so I really am getting the gas up the top. One thing to remember is when you get this much gas in, if you park the bike on the side stand soon after, it'll drip gas out the over flow.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
Yes, the heavier K16 does make more torque in lower RPM (and LESS than the C14 in higher RPM).  But roll-ons in what gear?  Most "roll-on" tests are in top gear, and that is hardly valid on a C14 which has a true overdrive.  5th and under is the only valid comparison.

Hey Max, please stop spreading false information. ;)  The C14 DOES NOT HAVE A OVERDRIVE!  6th gear is 1.07:1, which has been discussed many times already...

This is one of my gripes about the C14, and many newer vehicles in general.  They keep setting the top gear ratio lower than it could be, so people don't have to down shift to pass.  Personally I would rather have the top gear be maximum fuel economy, and deal with down shifting when needed.  I usually drop down to 3rd to pass anyway.  ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
Hey Max, please stop spreading false information. ;)  The C14 DOES NOT HAVE A OVERDRIVE!  6th gear is 1.07:1, which has been discussed many times already...

This is one of my gripes about the C14, and many newer vehicles in general.  They keep setting the top gear ratio lower than it could be, so people don't have to down shift to pass.  Personally I would rather have the top gear be maximum fuel economy, and deal with down shifting when needed.  I usually drop down to 3rd to pass anyway.  ;D

According to Kwak engineering it is an 'Overdrive' and they call it as such.

Page 12...   http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf

And that's good enough for me....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
According to Kwak engineering it is an 'Overdrive' and they call it as such.

Page 12...   http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf

And that's good enough for me....

I rarely use it, so it is indeed an overdrive for me.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »

It depends on the exact meaning of "overdrive".  Here is how Wikipedia primarily defines it:

"The most fundamental meaning is that of an overall gear ratio between engine and wheels, such that the car is now over-geared and can no longer reach its potential top speed, i.e. the car could travel faster if it were in a lower gear, with the engine turning more quickly."

That is certainly true with the C14.   And it is labeled "Overdrive" too.  I am mostly echoing what I had previously heard.  The C14 has plenty of power... but not in OD (6th), and that is by design.  Sorry, I wasn't meaning to make anyone upset..

.This is one of my gripes about the C14, and many newer vehicles in general.  They keep setting the top gear ratio lower than it could be, so people don't have to down shift to pass.  Personally I would rather have the top gear be maximum fuel economy, and deal with down shifting when needed.  I usually drop down to 3rd to pass anyway.  ;D

?  The C14 in OD (6th) is only going like 3,000K to 3,500 RPM at highway speeds!  That is about as low an RPM that could be tolerated on a bike that gets quite unhappy at anything lower (and has a redline of 10,500).  I suppose it could have been pushed down a few hundred RPM more, but then downshifting would be necessary at legal highway speeds for even a several degree slope.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline holabird

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
Interesting debate.  I am in the market for a new 2012 Concours 14.  Just doing my research before I pull the trigger.  I have owned 2 BMW's, Honda's, Yamaha's etc.  The last two were the BMW's and I have a very bad taste in my mouth from them.  Both were K bikes (inline fours), a K1200 GT and a K1200S.  Both lost their ABS.  On the GT, the brakes still worked fine, just no ABS so not a big deal.  Wasnt worth it to fix the brakes.  A $2000 repair on a bike worth $5K didnt make much sense.  Then on the 06 K1200S, the ABS went out again.  Had to fix it this time to the tune of $2600.  I enjoyed both bikes but could not afford to keep them on the road.  Looking forward to going back to a Jap bike that will run forever.  Just gotta pull the trigger.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
I was dead set on  low 1200RT 2011 left over till I drove the ZG,
 Power can't campare no way no how , now with the ZX exhaust and Gulh flash the  1600 is a DOG.
A POODLE with a fancy hair cut  ;D

Just so you're aware, the R1200RT and the K1600GT are totally different machines. The R has a 100hp air cooled flat twin and the K has a 160hp liquid cooled six cylinder engine. The K's engine dwarfs the Concours' torque output by about 30%.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Just so you're aware, the R1200RT and the K1600GT are totally different machines. The R has a 100hp air cooled flat twin and the K has a 160hp liquid cooled six cylinder engine. The K's engine dwarfs the Concours' torque output by about 30%.

^^^^^that
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
The K's engine dwarfs the Concours' torque output by about 30%.
Stock form yes.  I really need to hit the dyno, bench racing is no fun when all ya have is butt dyno numbers ;)
Till then?  My Ninjabago will smoke the K1600GT night and day ;D  To keep it fair, I will loosen up the headlights so they can move left and right like the GT :o

BTW, I really hate bench racing, I wish someone would bring a GT to Pacific Raceways so we can do a one on one comparison 8)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
Stock form yes.  I really need to hit the dyno, bench racing is no fun when all ya have is butt dyno numbers ;)
Till then?  My Ninjabago will smoke the K1600GT night and day ;D  To keep it fair, I will loosen up the headlights so they can move left and right like the GT :o

BTW, I really hate bench racing, I wish someone would bring a GT to Pacific Raceways so we can do a one on one comparison 8)

I'd like to see that too in real world, no matter which one wins.

Hey I thought this is called "arm-chair" racin' and now you had to get a bench 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mgtibb

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
I guess we know who wins in a straight line.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2012FebruaryK16vC14.pdf

Offline Conrad

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2013, 04:47:08 AM »
I guess we know who wins in a straight line.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2012FebruaryK16vC14.pdf

"Engines & Performance—K1600GT 1st; C14 2nd.

Neither of these big-block sport-tourers left our test team with
much to complain about in the engine department. Both make
similar peak horsepower numbers, but we give the edge to the
BMW K1600GT despite the C14’s slight advantage during our
performance testing. The lighter C14 zipped from 0–60 mph in
just 2.91 sec. and from 0–100 mph in 6.56 sec. on the way to a
brisk 10.56 sec/127.68 mph in the quarter mile. That’s quicker
across the board than the GT’s best 0–60 time of 3.00 sec., 0–100
of 7.30 sec. and respectable 10.89 sec. @ 122.13 mph, but the
K1600GT still wins because its more prodigious torque output and
silkier, more responsive character work better in the real world."

So the C14 is quicker and has better numbers but the BMW still wins in this category?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cuda

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »
Well let them try a ZG with a Gulh flash and that would change , why Kaw wanted to tame the bike sooooo much with those secondary flys we will never know  ::)
BUT we know with a few changes It can be undun ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:16 AM »
With a 300cc  larger motor I would hope they had more torque. ??? 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
So the C14 is quicker and has better numbers but the BMW still wins in this category?    :o

Yep, because marketing dollars speak very loudly.