Author Topic: Used KIPASS & Fob questioner from the Other forum  (Read 939 times)

Offline Freddy

Used KIPASS & Fob questioner from the Other forum
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »
OLDS7268 posted the following over there.  As I'm not a member I can't help with an answer but maybe someone here can direct OLDS to this forum for guidance.

So I finally got a call from the shop. As a recap my key fob burned up in an automobile fire in a car that only had liability insurance. I bought a used KIPASS unit with a fob that was registered to it on ebay. took it to a shop that could not get anything done with it. I then took it to Big st. Charles Motorsports where it is right now. They told me that the previous shop had screwed the ignition switch up so I ordered another off of eBay and took to them. Two weeks later I get a call that hey you cannot use a used KIPASS unit because the bike registers with the original ecm so now they're telling me I have to have an e c m as well that is registered with the KIPASS ecm. Basically they're saying I have to buy a new ECM and KIPASS ECM. I am at the end of my rope and have no more money to throw at this. Can someone who knows please tell me if I have another option.

Given that the KIPASS ecu & fob are a matched set from another bike of the same p/number on the ecu then it will work on your bike.  From what OLDS is describing, the operator either doesn't have KDS and/or the latest software or doesn't know what s/he's doing.  Fact: the KIPASS ecu & matching fob are the primary components upon which the other ECUs depend (ign switch assembly ECU & fuel injection ECU) and get registered/linked/activated to it in the installation procedure.  The KDS manual spells out the procedure step by step.  Although it can be a little 'tricky' to follow, it's a simple and quick process and if you miss a step or get it wrong no harm done - just go back and get it right.

(Registering passive fobs to the bikes is a little more tricky (coz many KDS dealer operators don't follow the exact steps due to being unfamiliar) but that's another topic well covered elsewhere and not relevant here.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:28:39 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Used KIPASS & Fob questioner from the Other forum
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 05:46:13 AM »
Link to this post, posted on other forum for Old's.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 06:19:47 AM »
 :thumbs: 

Here's a page from the KDS training manual which shows the KIPASS (or Smart) ECU  and the communication process that goes on to start the engine.  When the key is depressed the KIPASS ECU 'looks' for the fob.  If it finds it the display will show the stove knob/key symbol.  That's STEP 1.

STEP 2. If the KIPASS ECU does not yet 'know' the steering lock (or Key) ECU [as in Olds case], KDS [which is connected to KIPASS via a cable & laptop] allows the operator to register the Key ECU at this stage above - before the key can be turn on.  Obviously there is only about 10 seconds to start this process before the key symbol disappears from the display.  Simply press the stove knob again - and again - and again until you can start the Key ECU registration process.

STEP 3. Once that's done the key/ignition can be turned on and the fuel injection [Engine] ECU can then be registered to KIPASS. 

Turn the ignition off, wait for the key display to disappear; press key knob and turn; start the engine.  Job done!

One of the frustrations with the various Kaw manuals for the bike is that the system components and the system itself has more than 1 name.  Additionally, depending on the age of the bike, the KDS software version the operator is using may or may not be 'new enough' to have the newer ECUs 'listed' in the software, the newest version being 3.0.9.4
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:45:18 PM by Freddy »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:21:08 PM »
One of the frustrations with the various Kaw manuals for the bike is that the system components and the system itself has more than 1 name.

ABSOLUTELY.  That and stupid naming that doesn't make any sense.  Perfect example, look at that document you just posted- "Smart ECU"... really, "Smart"???  What is that supposed to convey?  That the other ECUs are stupid?  It says nothing about what it does in the system.  And "Smart ECU" is not listed at all, ever, in the service manual.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »
Yes, it's smarter than the average bear dealer too.   :o

I see someone (Lee Catron) on the Concours 14 FB page has KDS to sell just now.