Author Topic: $93 mistake or poor design?  (Read 7274 times)

Joncon11

Re: $93 mistake or poor design?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »
ebay the part

Already got it from Bikebandit...

Offline rwulf

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
I agree with the idea of checking your torque wrench. Should not use the top or bottom 10%
of it's range. I have been trained to clean both the bolt and mating hole. And for consistent
torque to lightly lube both the first treads on the end of the bolt AND the underside of the
head of the bolt. The idea is for the threads to pull and bind, that is what locks the threads.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
Good point, I was taught to stay away from the upper and lower 10%. My wrench will accommodate that. I agree with the loctite thing, I think if anything it would reduce the heat built up by running the fastener in.

You should expand the "don't use zone" to 20 % on the lower end of the scale...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline charles r

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
Yeah, I tested it at work when I got it, it was spot on.  I didn’t have grease on the bolt but it did have loctite on it. Just one of those fluke things I suppose.

How long ago was that? I get my wrenches re cert'ed every year (mechanic) and often see them shift a bit. Some models shift around more than others.
Recently, a friend mechanic lent his, "Checked it when I got it... 6 years ago!" torque wrench to someone who snapped a truck cylinder head bolt with it! After the WTF's, I had him send his off to the cal lab... 35# off!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:22 AM »
Guys, I wouldn't blame the torque wenches too much.  I've owned three Kwaks and they've all had chocolate screws.  The C10 was the worse, though.  I've had the threads strip on at least two bolts on the C14.  Got lucky and only had to replace the bolts.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Hi all:

i just changed the rear tire myself two months ago. I've always removed the wheels and taken them to the dealer for a tire change, then re-assembled. Contrary to most people i dont use a torque wrench for small jobs. I know a lot of guys who torque everything- even their spark plugs, but .....  For those hex bolts i just applied threadlock and snugged it up. I'll check it once in a while, but i trust it. I agree that it was most likely damaged before you removed the bolt. 18 lbs torque is nothing.

mat

I don't use a torque wrench to make sure fasteners are tight enough, I use one to make sure I don't overtighten a fastener.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
I've stripped that hole myself.
I tapped mine a bit deeper and used a longer bolt with some threadlock on it.
I now only remove the axle bolt and the big stubby Hex bolt that locks the carrier to the swingarm.
IIRC you just have enough clearance behind it to put a thin (square?) steel nut there if you can find a bolt long enough.

Steel into ally is bad. Apart from the thread stripping problems there is corrosion (galvanic corrosion with stainless steel bolts) and the overzealous use of threadlock.
It's always gonna happen because ally is light so we just need to be super careful with things like brake rotor bolts and caliper bolts.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK