Author Topic: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets  (Read 16885 times)

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
Re: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
I used to exclusively wear Snell approved helmets but I went modular a few years ago.  Yes I know that it IS possible that in a specific situation the chinbar can come open and cause injury.  However it is also possible to land in such a way with ANY helmet that you snap your neck, etc etc...  riding a motorcycle carries Risk, we have all accepted that risk.  For me the increased risk of a Modular is acceptable.    I had a Scorpion Transformer and liked it, but went with a Shoei since it was rated higher IIRC (and it's lighter)

As to the standards,  actually the DOT standard is not as bad as you think it is,  it's no ECE standard that is true, but it's not worthless IMHO (The "Brain Buckets" don't count,  I really believe that the only test they pass is that the sticker the makers and riders buy can adhere to them, heck I remember being up at Marcus Dairy and watching a helmet Vendor peel and stick DOT stickers on these tiny brain buckets)  as for Snell,  it is good to have an independent reviewer,  but I've read a lot of reviews that claim that snell helmets are TOO rigid, that in an accident yes they hold up better, but they transmit MORE force to your head instead of yielding and absorbing the impact.  I just don't trust Snell anymore...

Just my 0.02

Offline yardboy

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Don't know how many are familiar with this site. Lots of good info on many different helmets. Testing seems very thorough, but it is only testing!

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:06 PM »
I just received my Nolan N43 Trilogy - it's not a modular - more like a 3/4 face with a removable chinbar.

HUGE viewport. The chinbar is relatively small, so the view port is giant, like a 3/4 face helmet.
Optics on the shield are good.
Flipdown suncreen - it's about right and doesn't cut through my vision
Quiet - much quieter than the HJC it replaced (which was pretty noisy on my zx14). Not much low noise booming, but I can still hear normal sounds like ecxhaust from the bike, emergency vehicles. I wear in-ear headphones when I ride and this helmet is markedly quieter.
Good venting.
Seals well although I have yet to be caught in the rain.
Pinlock capable.
Convertible into a standard 3/4 face setup.

Dislikes
Shield only has two positions - full open and full close. I have no idea why Nolan wouldn't have at least a crack position
Fogs up easily - your breath is now going onto the shield because of the size of the chinbar.
It's shorter than my HJC, so covers less of my jaw and chin
Uses a different strap than the standard D-Ring - kind of a plastic strap thing that I don't like because it presses into my throat a bit.

I'm still breaking it in and it is tight around where my jaw hinges. That should improve with time (I hope).

It feels like a quality helmet and I do like it but the D-ring thing is probably my biggest complaint because it compromises the comfort of the helmet.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 06:42:40 AM »
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Don't know how many are familiar with this site. Lots of good info on many different helmets. Testing seems very thorough, but it is only testing!

That's a good site.  The link was lost when the old forum went poof.  Thanks.   :goodpost:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
I just received my Nolan N43 Trilogy - it's not a modular - more like a 3/4 face with a removable chinbar.

That is really freaky.  I am not sure I quite understand the market for it.

One thing I know for sure, now that I have a helmet with a drop-down sunscreen visor, I will NEVER own another helmet without it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »

One thing I know for sure, now that I have a helmet with a drop-down sunscreen visor, I will NEVER own another helmet without it.

+1 on the drop-down visor! I have a smoked face shield that I use in the daytime, combining that with the drop-down visor is great when the sun is in mine eyes.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DaveO

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2011, 07:25:29 AM »
anybody serious about protecting  their head with a helmet would not even  consider a fake  fullface helmet. Forget all the bullshit you read on the internet and use your own common sense.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
anybody serious about protecting  their head with a helmet would not even  consider a fake  fullface helmet. Forget all the bullshit you read on the internet and use your own common sense.

Please tell us what you really think.  ;)

I like the concept of the modular from a convenience standpoint, but they can't possibly be as safe (IMHO).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
That is really freaky.  I am not sure I quite understand the market for it.

These look to be a great idea and might eliminate the need to carry two visors when on a trip (even though changing them out on my RF1100 is quick and easy). I'm not sure how well they'll work with glasses. Can anyone comment?

Does having a hollow space in the crown of the helmet (where the retracted visor resides), and the accompanying mechanisms, have any adverse effect on the helmets ability to protect you in a crash?
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »
I have the Scorpion EXo-1000 with the sunglass visor built in.  I can't tell you about glasses.  Some helmets accommodate more than others, though.  You'll have to try one on and see.   I don't see how the built in visors would affect negatively in a crash.  I keep my primary visor cracked open a bit when riding as the bugs/rocks still have a tendency to find me behind my CB Euro.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
These look to be a great idea and might eliminate...

This is worthy of another thread, so I created one.  Please direct all responses regarding drop-down visors to:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4940
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Joncon11

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
I have the Shoei modular, I wear sunglasses under it all the time with no issues. As for the safety thing...it's my understanding that early concept modulars had the tendendency to flip up in a crash, not so now. The DOT stamp doesn't carry much weight with some people, but any DOT rated helmet Iv'e crashed in did its job well (I am typing this ;)). I have never been a bargain hunter in regard to helmets, you do get what you pay for, and after all...it is your head. So yes, modern, respected brand modulars are nice and I would buy another.

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »

And Arai and Shoei are the safest helmets, right?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 03:25:08 AM »
I've worn modular helmets for years.  Had a meet-n-greet with a right rear quarter panel of a Ford Exploder when they decided to cut across my right away... helmet worked fine.

Had a friend who had a horrible get off on his ST1300... totaled his bike when he went off road into a tree, his Nolan N102 worked fine.  He bought another to replace it.

I like my modular helmets... I dont see giving them up.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Joncon11

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »
And Arai and Shoei are the safest helmets, right?

I'm sure there is better out there, but those brands have served me very well in all of my encounters with the track/road/deer. I'll happily pay the price for something that has proven itself as being of quality and safe over and over...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 06:32:34 AM »
These look to be a great idea and might eliminate the need to carry two visors when on a trip (even though changing them out on my RF1100 is quick and easy). I'm not sure how well they'll work with glasses. Can anyone comment?

Does having a hollow space in the crown of the helmet (where the retracted visor resides), and the accompanying mechanisms, have any adverse effect on the helmets ability to protect you in a crash?

I wear glasses/contacts. My HJC SyMax 2 works fine with glasses, no clearance issues what so ever. Wearing glasses is actually the reason I went with this helmet. I couldn't get other non-modular helmets on while I had my glasses on, nor could I get my glasses on while wearing other helmets.

I can't answer the other question about protection. I've been lucky enough not to test the helmet's crash worthiness...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lemosley01

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
The established brands that are SNELL, DOT, or ECE certified have been proven to be safe. The other brands that sort of pop-up as cheap specials all over the place, then disappear after a year or two are usually only DOT certified, and I trust them far less.  The DOT specs themselves are fine, but it is basically up to the manufacturer to vouch that their helmets meet the DOT spec. That's one of the advantages SNELL has in that they do 3rd party verification, does the ECE spec.

Arai and Shoei don't necessarily mean more safety, but it certainly does mean a very high quality helmet that the manufacturer will stand behind.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
The established brands that are SNELL, DOT, or ECE certified have been proven to be safe. The other brands that sort of pop-up as cheap specials all over the place, then disappear after a year or two are usually only DOT certified, and I trust them far less.  The DOT specs themselves are fine, but it is basically up to the manufacturer to vouch that their helmets meet the DOT spec. That's one of the advantages SNELL has in that they do 3rd party verification, does the ECE spec.

Arai and Shoei don't necessarily mean more safety, but it certainly does mean a very high quality helmet that the manufacturer will stand behind.

+1, and comfort, at least for me.

Offline b206driver

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
Just my 2 cents....I have a Nolan N90 I wear on the Goldwing. I have headsets in it....music, intercom, nav information, little wind noise...it's great. I wore it while riding the C14 and the wind noise was BAD. My Bell Vortex finally arrived and the difference was night and day.....much less wind noise on the C14. The Nolan works well behind the windshield of the 'Wing, but sucks out in the airflow of the C14 when the shield is lowered.

Flathead

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »

From webbikeworld (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm)  "An advantage of the ECE 22.05 standard is the requirement for mandatory batch testing of helmets before they are released to the riding public.  What this means to the consumer is the quality of the helmet in meeting the ECE 22.05 standard is assured by a mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory, not with random testing performed after thousands of helmets with unknown quality are delivered to the dealers."