Author Topic: LED Conversion for Concours  (Read 24141 times)

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Re: LED Conversion for Concours
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
On the Socalmoto web site it says they use T10 40W Cree LEDS.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XT10+40W+Cree+LED&_nkw=T10+40W+Cree+LED&_sacat=0
What do you think about those? There are two 40W bulb sets on that page.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
On the Socalmoto web site it says they use T10 40W Cree LEDS.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XT10+40W+Cree+LED&_nkw=T10+40W+Cree+LED&_sacat=0
What do you think about those? There are two 40W bulb sets on that page.

I believe T10 is the same as the 194 package.

40 watts?  Yes, I see what you are saying, but I find that IMPOSSIBLE to believe.  There is no way something that small could dissipate 40 watts of heat.  It would melt and before that, burn out all the LEDs (LEDs hate heat).  This is exactly what I was talking about with misleading (lying) specs on so many listings.  Zoom into this one and read their supposed specs:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Sales-2x40W-Amber-T10-194-168-921-2825-W5W-8-chips-CREE-LED-Bright-Car-Light-/261252699796?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3dfd694&vxp=mtr

LED Style: 40W High Power CREE.
 Power consumption: 2-3W
 Led Chip: 5W*8pcs =40W

So it consumes 2 to 3 watts, but has 8x5 watt LEDs on it?  Um, yeah, right.  Besides being impossible, 40 watts of LED light would be so bright it would be blinding.  It would be the equivalent of something like 360 watts of incandescent light!  Probably not using CREE LED chips either, it is just easy for people to slap that onto every listing now.

It is probably a 2 watt bulb.  Now, would that be brighter than the incandescent bulb?  Maybe.  It depends on the quality of the LED chips used.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 05:56:18 PM »
Ya, Ive never had a LED bulb that was as bright as a Incandescent either. Maybe they (manufacturers) are indeed embellishing.
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
I'm with Max here- that is not possible.

1) No circuit could handle the current required to deliver 40 watts to a 194 bulb package. The fuse would pop.
2) The housing could not handle the heat; it would melt at best, catch fire at worst.

They may be bright, and they may well be brighter than an incandescent 194 but 40 watts? Not even in salesman power. :-)

Brian

I believe T10 is the same as the 194 package.

40 watts?  Yes, I see what you are saying, but I find that IMPOSSIBLE to believe.  There is no way something that small could dissipate 40 watts of heat.  It would melt and before that, burn out all the LEDs (LEDs hate heat).  This is exactly what I was talking about with misleading (lying) specs on so many listings.  Zoom into this one and read their supposed specs:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Sales-2x40W-Amber-T10-194-168-921-2825-W5W-8-chips-CREE-LED-Bright-Car-Light-/261252699796?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3dfd694&vxp=mtr

LED Style: 40W High Power CREE.
 Power consumption: 2-3W
 Led Chip: 5W*8pcs =40W

So it consumes 2 to 3 watts, but has 8x5 watt LEDs on it?  Um, yeah, right.  Besides being impossible, 40 watts of LED light would be so bright it would be blinding.  It would be the equivalent of something like 360 watts of incandescent light!  Probably not using CREE LED chips either, it is just easy for people to slap that onto every listing now.

It is probably a 2 watt bulb.  Now, would that be brighter than the incandescent bulb?  Maybe.  It depends on the quality of the LED chips used.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
Modern LEDs can be very bright indeed- they can reach 1,000 lumens and absolutely damage the human retina. Blindly bright. For any amount of given power, LED's will produce more light than any useful tungsten (halogen) lamp of any kind.

But not 40 watts in a 194 bulb package :-)

Brian

Ya, Ive never had a LED bulb that was as bright as a Incandescent either. Maybe they (manufacturers) are indeed embellishing.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 08:31:53 PM »
Wow check this out, my rear bulbs. Not 1156 or 1157, notice the off-set:

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »

OK, that is very disturbing.  I was under the assumption the bulb was an 1156 (it would never be an 1157, that is dual filament).  ZILLIONS of vehicles use 1156.  But that side pin offset in your photo appears to be non-standard.  I even removed the stock bulb from my bike and never noticed that before.  I never had a chance to try a replacement bulb in the bike, since none of the ones I were testing were bright enough so I never put them in the bike's socket (I used standard sockets on my bench setup).

Now I wonder if an 1156 would fit or not.  It is possible the socket could take more than one side pin offset configuration.  Has anyone EVER gotten an 1156 to work?  I wonder if you could use an 1156 and just grind down one of the pins?

Why would they do that?  To try and force people to pay 1000% more for a bulb?  I thought Dan's posting was whacked or something!  What is this strange bulb called.... in the non-Kawasaki world?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
Could be this one:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/12v|21w|bau15s|amber.html

Yep there's a bunch of them on ebay.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 03:34:46 AM »
^ That looks like it!!!!!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:46 AM »
^ That looks like it!!!!!

But it isn't! That is one of the bulbs that I tried. The 30 degree offset on the left pin is incorrect and the bulb cannot be put in place. I gave up when I wasn't convinced that any of the available LED's would produce my intended result of increasing visibility of my rear turn signal anyway, so no reason to spend time on solving the mystery. It appears to be a non-standard bulb. Still looking for a sensible way to increase light output from the rear turn signal other than adding an secondary signal light.

Fork

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:20 AM »
I hear that the '15s will have all LED lights.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »
I hear that the '15s will have all LED lights.

:P

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
Audi and Volkswagen calls them 7507 Bulbs

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »

That is what I remembered when I put my alternate lenses in. Was not sure I remembered that correctly but I distinctly remembered I had bought what I thought was correct and ended up pulling the original bulb and using it in the new lenses.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »
I'm really thinking about that HID kit.

Was the wiring truly plug and play (no splicing)?

Did you have to run new power back to the battery?
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Yes truly plug in play, no need to run power from battery

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkH3xBN4hE8

Instructions for Goldwing, but has good information on installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqB8ZDSZC8

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline andydude

• Giddy up .....Let's Ride !!
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 04:29:44 AM »
2011 Concours with SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkH3xBN4hE8

This is low beam only correct ??
2012 Black C14