Author Topic: wifi from a cable connection?  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: wifi from a cable connection?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
You might want to call your cable company's tech support.  It is possible that for security, they set it up to only host one wireless connection. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
You might want to call your cable company's tech support.  It is possible that for security, they set it up to only host one wireless connection.

Would they have control over that, since the router came from elsewhere? So did the modem, for that matter.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
Would they have control over that, since the router came from elsewhere? So did the modem, for that matter.
Oops.  Nope.  They wouldn't.

It shouldn't ask for a number off of a label.  That would be too insecure.  When you set up the router, you should have had to create an SSID (Network name) and an encryption key.  The encryption key would be what you need on your other wireless devices.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
If you have a reputable cable company your cable modem will be your router with both wi-fi and eithernet capability.  Feeding it into another router is not required.

Now i'm sure there's an exception to the rule somewhere in some little town thats back in the stone ages.....   but as I said "reputable".

Also fiber "such as Verizon" the modem serves up both wi-fi and ethernet.

Now don't use them for web hosting.  I went with godaddy.com because of those old goddady girl commercials, and godaddy has been awesome.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Todd, do you know about Microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/? We have a store located in St. Louis Park and they have an amazing amount of merchandise and generally great prices. Right over on Hwy 100. That's where I generally go for all things computer.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
Yeah Brian. It's a great store. Been there only a few times.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »
OK.... wooohoo! I fixed it.
At first, I was able to get on with the one laptop without having to put in the CD in the desktop CD, so I never did.
Anyway, I popped it in in the desktop and went through the steps and changed the pw, etc. Then tried the phone, and voila! I am on line. I had to re-enter the new info on my laptop. Now when my roommate gets home, she can try her laptop. But that was the issue, I never set up the wizard on the CD.
Thx everyone for your input.
Todd
Eagan, MN