Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 5231 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
Perhaps but I was not familiar with that definition.

<begin quote>
According to the book Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins (1988), author William Morris writes that Stanley Woodward actually took the term from fellow New York Tribune sportswriter Caswell Adams. Morris writes that during the 1930s, the Fordham University football team was running roughshod over all its opponents. One day in the sports room at the Tribune, the merits of Fordham's football team were being compared to those of Princeton and Columbia. Adams remarked disparagingly of the latter two, saying they were "only Ivy League." Woodward, the sports editor of the Tribune, picked up the term and printed the next day.
Note though that in the above quote Woodward used the term ivy college, not ivy league as Adams is said to have used, so there is a discrepancy in this theory, although it seems certain the term ivy college and shortly later Ivy League acquired its name from the sports world.
The first known instance of the term Ivy League being used appeared in The Christian Science Monitor on February 7, 1935.[42][43][44] Several sportswriters and other journalists used the term shortly later to refer to the older colleges, those along the northeastern seaboard of the United States, chiefly the nine institutions with origins dating from the colonial era, together with the United States Military Academy (West Point), the United States Naval Academy, and a few others. These schools were known for their long-standing traditions in intercollegiate athletics, often being the first schools to participate in such activities. However, at this time, none of these institutions made efforts to form an athletic league.
The Ivy League universities are also called the "Ancient Eight" or simply the Ivies.[citation needed]
<end quote>

And coming from  a state universtiy, some of those institutions are what I would call 'real schools'. Take that however you want....

:rotflmao:

But the fact is that some of those schools provide our best and brightest academicians.

Brian

The first four  universities were : University of Pennsylvania - ‎Dartmouth College - ‎Brown University - ‎Yale University =    IV     Some people dont get the IV and called it Ivy League   instead of The  I V league

I like that   MMVIII C XIV  =  2008  C14
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:42:11 AM »
Perhaps but I was not familiar with that definition.
snip>

And coming from  a state universtiy, some of those institutions are what I would call 'real schools'. Take that however you want....
<snip
 :rotflmao:

But the fact is that some of those schools provide our best and brightest academicians.

Brian

That's not all they provide but I'll leave that for another discussion.  8)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:53:46 AM »
When will Microbloat realize they shouldn't be rushing an OS to market so fast just so they can say "it's new"?
They are working on the next version before they release the new one.
And when will they make sure the OS works before it's released?

ANSWER:when people quit knowingly buying substandard products just so they can say they have the newest.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Mike, I think it's a conflict with this pos McAfee software that came preinstalled. I did a system restore and It's operating at the moment. I think I'll uninstall McAfee and see if it helps. Thanks

I have found that McAfee is the worst virus you can have on a PC. Yes uninstall immediately! McAfee enterprise is usable but McAfee personal is just a giant piece of addware. Kaspersky is pretty good IMO.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
It won't even block it's own popups.  >:(

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 07:11:55 AM »
It won't even block it's own popups.  >:(

Exactly! Once, many years ago gave in to the incessant McAfee popups to renew for another year even though I still had 6 months on my current license and renewed early. I rebooted the machine and immediately got a McAfee popup asking me to renew for another 3 years. Like I said, worse virus you can have on your PC is McAfee.