Author Topic: It's official Windows 8 is the New Coke  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
It's official Windows 8 is the New Coke
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
Everyone knows that New Coke was a total disaster for Coca-Cola. Except, of course, that isn't actually what happened. Yes, New Coke, like Windows 8 for Microsoft, was a total market failure, but that wasn't the end of the Coca-Cola story, and Windows 8 may not be the end of Microsoft's Windows tale.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-microsofts-new-coke-moment-7000014779/

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: It's official Windows 8 is the New Coke
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
Interesting read. I bought a new desktop with Win 8 installed and I hate it. I use the "desktop" mode 100% of the time and pin every program I use to the desktop or the task bar. If I could go back to Win 7 on this machine I would.

That said, seems like Win 8 was designed for touch interface like tablets. Don't know how well that works cuz I don't have one.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
The problem is, Microsoft stops supporting it's older versions. We could be stuck with 8 in five years.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
/Rant

Change for the sake of change.

This represents a huge loss of productivity in the workforce every few years that I'm surprised the corporate world hasn't squawked about.  They just seem to blindly accept it as 'progress'.

MS (and others) renames things, puts them in different places on their menus when there's really not a lot of change in functionality and calls it a 'new and improved' version.

Most geeks (I'm one but am tired of all the unnecessary 'learning') can't wait to get the latest and greatest so they can spend a couple months (or more) finding out how to access what they already knew.  In other words, they have to learn where its been hidden in the new version and with new fancy graphics.

Think of the real productivity that could have been realized during that time.

Take user level operating system alone:  Microsoft Windows 3.0, 95, 98 2nd edition, ME, XP, Vista.

They all have a different way of getting to the same basic things for network setup, user controls, etc.  They name, sort and categorize THE SAME THINGS differently in each version.

With XP they started going to iterations of versions (basic, pro, ultimate) which have differences in basic configuration and functionality between them.

Gratuitous change.  Its maddening.

/Rant off
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
/Rant

Change for the sake of change.

This represents a huge loss of productivity in the workforce every few years that I'm surprised the corporate world hasn't squawked about.  They just seem to blindly accept it as 'progress'.

MS (and others) renames things, puts them in different places on their menus when there's really not a lot of change in functionality and calls it a 'new and improved' version.

Most geeks (I'm one but am tired of all the unnecessary 'learning') can't wait to get the latest and greatest so they can spend a couple months (or more) finding out how to access what they already knew.  In other words, they have to learn where its been hidden in the new version and with new fancy graphics.

Think of the real productivity that could have been realized during that time.

Take user level operating system alone:  Microsoft Windows 3.0, 95, 98 2nd edition, ME, XP, Vista.

They all have a different way of getting to the same basic things for network setup, user controls, etc.  They name, sort and categorize THE SAME THINGS differently in each version.

With XP they started going to iterations of versions (basic, pro, ultimate) which have differences in basic configuration and functionality between them.

Gratuitous change.  Its maddening.

/Rant off

The above is a brief synopsis of Bill Gates' new book "How To Become a Billionaire".

Offline ugocon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
It's an unwritten law always respected so far: Microsoft alternates a crappy OS with a good one.
MS.DOS (all versions): Good
Windows 3.0: bad
Windows 3.1 good
Windows 95: bad
Windows 98: good
Windows ME: bad
Windows XP :good
Windows VISTA: bad
Windows 7: good
Windows 8: bad

thus...

Next OS: good!
:)

To complete the view, history about network oriented OS's has been better:
Windows for Workgroup: so so
Windows NT: good
Windows 2000: good
Windows XP: good
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:03 AM »
I have to agree.  I bought a copy of Win8 Pro to try out.  I'm a geek for a living, and figured I'd best get a start on figuring out where evereything is while I could do it at my leisure.  That lasted about a month before I gave up.  This thing was made for touchpads/tablets/phones and is at best clunky when using a mouse and keyboard.  At worst, it's infuriating.  Ballmer may not want to admit the mistake, but everyone knows it.  There are a few programs out there that will let you stay in Desktop mode, but whey should I have to pay someone else to fix MS's screw ups?  It's times like this I love my Linux systems more.

As ugocon said:
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:26:41 AM »
I like Windows 7 and will be sticking there for the foreseeable future......or until Windows 9 comes out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:50:05 AM »
It's an unwritten law always respected so far: Microsoft alternates a crappy OS with a good one.
Windows 3.1 good
Windows ME: VERY VERY bad

thus...

FIFY
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:51:53 AM »
I like Windows 7 and will be sticking there for the foreseeable future......or until Windows 9 comes out.

+1 7 is great. I've only played with 8 a few times and I hate it. It's so non intuitive and it's just a total mess.    >:(  :pukeface:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Leo

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »
I needed a new laptop a couple months ago.  All I could find was windows 8.  I ordered a left over HP machine from tigerdirect that was still windows 7.  I am glad I did.  I was in bestbuy to get some cords and talked to the same kid that tried to (unsuccessfully) demonstrate the windows 8 products.  He said that they cannot give away the windows 8 laptops.   

I have a couple of friends that do IT work for the hospital.   They both think that apple is now the way to go for personal computers.  I guess apple doesn't change things just because they feel like obsoleting your old one.  I have no experience with apple, but may give them a try if MS keeps making my life complicated.

I did have Google force a download on my computer that left it inoperative.  It acted like it was google chrome 1/2 installed.  Kind of angered me because I do not use google and want nothing to do with them or their spyware infested "services".     I did a back dated system restore and all is well, at least for now. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline bkromer

• 2012 C14 Black
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
I bought a Windows 7 machine a month before Windows 8 was released. Very happy I did.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer

Bruce

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Windows 3.1 good
Windows ME: bad

thus...

Give Microsoft credit......GREAT Strategic Marketing.  Get a bunch of crap out in the field and then sell the corrected product to all that bought the junk.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
Give Microsoft credit......GREAT Strategic Marketing.  Get a bunch of crap out in the field and then sell the corrected product to all that bought the junk.
Sounds like fedgov. Create a crisis then provide the cure.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
the few times I played with W8 in Costco left me frustrated...lets face it Microsoft is quickly being passed by since Bill Gates left.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
I have a new expensive laptop I use for work, and it is Win 8. My nickname for it is Windows H8. It almost completely blows. My cursor jumps around by itself, the screen resizes by itself. Things open themselves. It is totally unstable. Do not buy any Win 8 until they "fix" it.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Win dose ate good. Solid like rock and wheel. Push button, color change. Play music, sound like wind. Much happy, much smart above owner, you like.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
I bought a MacBook yesterday. I will spend some time learning the differences and the new features on a Mac, but I moving my personal stuff to the Mac. I decided not to wait for Microsoft to fix their screw up.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
I don't like apple mostly because of the prices, they think highly of thsir stuff.  I prefer to buy generic hardware to my spec/preferences and load Win 7, Xp or Linux depending on who the system is for.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
Just found this: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp
$4.99 and you get the Win 7 start menu back and you can ignore the Win 8 tile start menu. This is a great product for people like me who needed a new desktop and got a Win 8 machine and now stuck with it. Gives you back about 90% of the Win 7 feel. For more info on how got get Win 8 to be more like Win 7: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/03/how-to-make-windows-8-look-and-feel-like-windows-7/