Author Topic: Tell me why i should not get a GMC Sierra  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Cheesecake

Re: Tell me why i should not get a GMC Sierra
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »
Ford F-150. I thought GM was the best back in the last century. But I have 220,000 on my '99 F-150 and she's still running great and looking good--GM paint often fades/peels early.
2008 C-14

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
The Dodge is built in Mexico, too. They tore down the STL truck plant...and van plant...and car plant.
Ford still builds F-150s in KCMO.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:03 AM »
The Dodge is built in Mexico, too. They tore down the STL truck plant...and van plant...and car plant.

Yeah they build a few there.  If you google the VIN on the truck you can find out whether a union boss built it or a mexican.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Find an older F250 Diesel, you will not regret it.  Once diesel ya gotta ask why does America love gas engines?  Blue collar guys like torque, the rest THINK HP is sexy.  Go Ford for all the reasons above.  There's a reason they didn't need any "Assistance" ;)

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

The Dodge Ram is built in Warren, MI at Dodge City Warren Truck Assembly Plant, as well as in Coahuila, Mexico at the Saltillo Assembly Plant.

The Ford F-150 is built in Dearborn, Michigan and Kansas City, Missouri. 

Go with the F-150.  I've got a driveway full of them, and Ford != bailouts like GM.

And, to respond to a previous statement, NO, GM did NOT "pay back" anything.  They paid part of one government handout (loan) using funds from ANOTHER government handout, but the taxpayers will NEVER recoup the entire "investment" that the federal government gave ... err ... made to GM.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
The Dodge Ram is built in Warren, MI at Dodge City Warren Truck Assembly Plant, as well as in Coahuila, Mexico at the Saltillo Assembly Plant.

Go with the F-150.  I've got a driveway full of them, and Ford != bailouts like GM.

And, to respond to a previous statement, NO, GM did NOT "pay back" anything.  They paid part of one government handout (loan) using funds from ANOTHER government handout, but the taxpayers will NEVER recoup the entire "investment" that the federal government gave ... err ... made to GM. AND THE UAW
fify

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
Leaving the politics alone, and basing my opinion solely on how much I appreciate my Dodge RAM 1500 Lone Star edition. Supposedly 390 hp from the hemi and I believe it - it runs like a champ, and still gets 20 mpg on highway and 15 or so around town. It is a comfortable ride and came with a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. At 41,000 miles it has only been in shop once - broken exhaust manifold stud - which was replaced under warranty.

The big reason I like the RAM though is the tow capacity. I have the tow package with brings capacity to almost 11,000 pounds. And no, I would not tow that much weight, but I do routinely pull my toyhauler which weighs in a 6,600 empty and almost 8,000 loaded. The 1/2 ton RAM pulls it with no problem. I can run interstate speeds, and with trailer breaks and leveling hitch, it is very solid. Only drawback, my gas mileage falls to about 8 mpg which doesn't bother me too much because I'm not traveling cross country, but more short weekend trips, or taking the camper to deer camp and leaving for hunting season. IF I were to start planning longer trips pulling the camper, I would simply move up to the Dodge 2500.

This is my 2nd RAM, have also owned a Nissan, have driven many Fords, and GMCs as well. I have never liked how the Fords handle - once they get miles on them, IMHO, they tend to drift/wander on the road. GMC/Chevy handle better, but always feel to fancy for a truck to me with lots of farkles that break over time. Again, just my .02, but Dodge has done a pretty good job with the RAM marrying capability to functionality to comfort.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

And Mexico!

Its amazing whats made in Venezuala too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
I had a 2008 Tundra CrewMax for 3 yrs and 50k trouble free miles. Absolutely loved it. My bro in law has a 2008 Sierra 2500 HD Duramax. Nice truck and doesn't let you forget its a truck. His has been in the shop a few times though while not a single issue on my toyo..By the way.....They gave me 5k less than I paid for the truck after a little over 3 yrs and 50k miles. Try swinging that deal on a gmc.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
Da*n Dodges..  My 91 Dak's windshield wipers just stopped working.  I fixed them, though.  They don't make them like they used to back in the good ole days.   That's the second time it's done it in 21 years.  I'd go with a GMC if I were you.................not. ::)   I like my cars Toyota and my trucks Dodge.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
I had a 91 YO truck, before they became Tacoma... the 2nd best truck I ever had.  It had over 95k miles on it... gas, oil, shocks, brakes... that's it.

I had a 2002 Dodge Quad Cab... 3rd best truck I ever had... 4.7l V8... horrible gas mileage... 13.2mpg in Houston... but man could it get up and go!  I loved the way it handled.

I now have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL... best truck I ever owned.  8) 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline timmerz

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
I had an '07 F150 for a couple of years, and while it ran excellently and got great mileage, even when towing, I have a spot of advice for you...go larger than the 4.6L v8 I had in mine, when you get up into the 4k or 5k lb. range, like a good-sized boat, the 4.6 really, and I mean REALLY gets taxed...cubic inches mean a lot at that point...
But my vote stands with Ford...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
I had a 91 YO truck, before they became Tacoma... the 2nd best truck I ever had.  It had over 95k miles on it... gas, oil, shocks, brakes... that's it.

I had a 2002 Dodge Quad Cab... 3rd best truck I ever had... 4.7l V8... horrible gas mileage... 13.2mpg in Houston... but man could it get up and go!  I loved the way it handled.

I now have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL... best truck I ever owned.  8)

Well, thats almost cheating

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
I had an '07 F150 for a couple of years, and while it ran excellently and got great mileage, even when towing, I have a spot of advice for you...go larger than the 4.6L v8 I had in mine, when you get up into the 4k or 5k lb. range, like a good-sized boat, the 4.6 really, and I mean REALLY gets taxed...cubic inches mean a lot at that point...
But my vote stands with Ford...

+1. I had an Expedition that had the 4.6l in it... Great around flat Houston, torture when we went up to TN to visit the in laws... Kept jumping around trying to find gears in the hills/mountains.
Rob

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
Well, thats almost cheating

I know... I have to have a Honda in the garage somewhere.   ;D
Rob

Offline Gsun

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
I have a 2005 Sierra 2500 with a 6 litre gas. It has been a great truck. I pull heavy trailers a lot and the only repairs have been a steering rod and a rear end - about $4K. I have 300,000 kms on it. It just eats the gas!
I also have an 06 3500 Allison/Diesel at work. There is 230,000 kms on it. No trouble except for two injectors when I got bad fuel. It hauls trailers as if they weren't there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
I had a 2008 Tundra CrewMax for 3 yrs and 50k trouble free miles. Absolutely loved it. My bro in law has a 2008 Sierra 2500 HD Duramax. Nice truck and doesn't let you forget its a truck. His has been in the shop a few times though while not a single issue on my toyo..By the way.....They gave me 5k less than I paid for the truck after a little over 3 yrs and 50k miles. Try swinging that deal on a gmc.

So, your bro-in-law still has his truck but you got rid of yours?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »
So, your bro-in-law still has his truck but you got rid of yours?    ;)

Um....Yeah that is true but he has no kids and I have 2 ages 11 and 6. Actually traded it on a sienna since it was time for a mini van. We road trip frequently.....Put 21k miles on the sienna in a yr and although I loved the Tundra CrewMax..... It's nothing compared to hitting the interstates in a minivan......But pulled my dad's 7500 lb boat and my trailers like nothing and that was the argument from the boss.....You have your big 4x4....An atv....And 2 motorcycles.....So yes I took one for the team and actually enjoy driving the minivan. Can't believe I just said that.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
Actually only the Ram 1500 series is built in Warren, MI. The rest are built in Mexico.
I need to be more careful or I'll wear out my 92 Dakota. It has a whopping 92k on it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
Um....Yeah that is true but he has no kids and I have 2 ages 11 and 6. Actually traded it on a sienna since it was time for a mini van. We road trip frequently.....Put 21k miles on the sienna in a yr and although I loved the Tundra CrewMax..... It's nothing compared to hitting the interstates in a minivan......But pulled my dad's 7500 lb boat and my trailers like nothing and that was the argument from the boss.....You have your big 4x4....An atv....And 2 motorcycles.....So yes I took one for the team and actually enjoy driving the minivan. Can't believe I just said that.

Yep, kids will do that to you. I didn't get to buy the good toys till after mine left the house.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn