Author Topic: Starbucks and Smartphones  (Read 2891 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Starbucks and Smartphones
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
HUGE thumbs up from a Starbucks shareholder and smartphone lubber ;D

Starbucks Customers Can Soon Pay With Their Phones

Caffeine addicts and baristas who work during the frenetic morning rush can now rejoice. Starbucks today announced a partnership with mobile-payment platform Square that will soon allow customers to use Square’s payer app to expedite the process.

Customers will be able to use “Pay with Square” at participating company-operated Starbucks stores, about 7,000 in the United States, “later this fall,” the Seattle-based coffee retailer said in a news release.

The premise of Square, which Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey launched in December 2009, is that “everyone should be able to accept credit cards,” Dorsey wrote in a letter announcing the partnership.

The deal includes a $25 million investment by Starbucks and Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz will join Square’s board of directors.

(Image Credit: Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/08/starbucks-customers-can-soon-pay-with-their-phones/
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

Re: Starbucks and Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
Joy...

Now folks can buy overpriced coffee just that much easier.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
Joy...

Now folks can buy overpriced coffee just that much easier.

Yeah but it sets the stage for us to buy overpriced gasoline, C14 tires,  and milk and such easier too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
I've been using the Sbux app for a while now.. pay with my iPhone... collect rewards... stuff.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
Yeah but it sets the stage for us to buy overpriced gasoline, C14 tires,  and milk and such easier too

Trudat 

Can I buy a smartphone this way too? The one I have now is pretty damn dumb.  ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Trudat 

Can I buy a smartphone this way too? The one I have now is pretty damn dumb.  ;)

Could... but a SmartAss reply for sure!  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
I've been using the Sbux app for a while now.. pay with my iPhone... collect rewards... stuff.  8)

Nice, I didn't know it was out there, I'll have it by COB

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
I sometimes pick up a Domino's pizza on the way to work.  That I ordered and paid for (by CC) with their app.  I just sign the CC slip when I get to the store.  Pizza Hut has a similar app, but my local store doesn't let me pay with the app yet.  (Local store just finally got internet ordering, after years of it being available at other stores.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
Could... but a SmartAss reply for sure!  ;D

Well then my job here is complete.