Author Topic: C-14 approachs the 150K mile mark  (Read 9760 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
C-14 approachs the 150K mile mark
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
Just heard from my wife, who in turn read on Facebook, that a member here (previous member?) still has the '08 he bought new and has 145K miles on it. Still commuting long distance and still using the bike to do it so still racking up the mileage at a pretty fast clip. He is still happy with the bike apparently.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C-14 approachs the 150K mile mark
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
Wow, what a surprise.....not.  I've only got 50k on mine now.  It's good to know I have another 100k to go.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »
That's K's not M's, but still pretty damn decent.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »
Not sure who you are responding to here Stewart but the guy I am speaking of lives in southern California and the distance I am speaking of is in US statue miles, not kilometers. I stuck the K in there to represent kilo or thousand. His bike is over 145,000 miles, apparently without any substantial malfunction or failure.

He was the first person known to hit 100,000 miles on a C-14 and if he keeps going like this, he will be the first to hit 200,000 miles too.

Brian

That's K's not M's, but still pretty damn decent.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
Man... I wish mine lasts that many happy miles.  Mama Kaw should be made aware of this accomplishment!
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
They did know about that bike, at least a few years ago.

The bevel gear set is the highest stressed point in the entire drivetrain, and it was a new design for the C-14. Kawasaki went looking for C-14's in the field with the highest mileage; there were four of us who were contacted and asked to swap out our bevel gear assemblies for new ones so that the originals could be sent back to the manufacturer in Japan and reviewed for wear. The gentleman who I mentioned in the first post was the highest mileage C-14 they found and he had something like 80K miles on the bike at the time, one other fellow had something like 70K, mine had around 45K and a guy in PA named Jerry (JaminJere on this forum) had a bike with similar mileage to mine. They also took the final drive assembly and the ECU from my bike, again to review back at the 'mother ship' (the ECU records at least some parameters of the bike's running history so they wanted that too for the stored data).

I do not know if Kawasaki has made any effort to keep an eye out for any further data or not. By the way, my bevel gear set looked absolutely perfect and actually appeared to me to a lot less worn than I would have thought.

I don’t know what happened after that regarding the second highest mileage bike but the rest of us all still have our C-14s and the mileage is climbing on all of them. Jerry’s bike was somewhere in the 60K range last I heard and mine has passed 85K miles now.

Brian

Man... I wish mine lasts that many happy miles.  Mama Kaw should be made aware of this accomplishment!

Offline stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
Brain fart Jim.....
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Brain fart, Jim.....

Fixed it for you...otherwise I'd have to ban you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
I believe he was Charles R. I wanted to stay on track with him. But a year later. I run 44,000miles on my first bike in 18 months. Then totaled it. I bought a 2010 after and put about 30,000 miles in 18 months, so I am not keeping up well.
Then today I met a guy on a Super Tenre and has 43,500 miles on his bike in 1 year. That is pretty heavy riding. I actually like the looks of the bike. The seat was nice and high. I love the aluminum cases that open from the top. He was from Maryland and rides year round.

Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Yep, that was the guy.

I believe most of the high mileage riders live in relatively warm climates. It makes it harder to accumulate as many miles in areas with a full winter (ice, snow and sustained temps. below freezing).

Brian

I believe he was Charles R. I wanted to stay on track with him. But a year later. I run 44,000miles on my first bike in 18 months. Then totaled it. I bought a 2010 after and put about 30,000 miles in 18 months, so I am not keeping up well.
Then today I met a guy on a Super Tenre and has 43,500 miles on his bike in 1 year. That is pretty heavy riding. I actually like the looks of the bike. The seat was nice and high. I love the aluminum cases that open from the top. He was from Maryland and rides year round.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
It is tougher up here. I was running too much work this year to ride a lot. I quit that part of the job, so I have been back at it. I bring the car maybe once per week.
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
I ride all year here (RI) but I do not rack up the miles in the hard part of the winter that I do the rest of the year. And way up there in Maine I believe I have seen mittens being worn by icicles.

;D

Brian

It is tougher up here. I was running too much work this year to ride a lot. I quit that part of the job, so I have been back at it. I bring the car maybe once per week.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »
Jerry’s bike was somewhere in the 60K range last I heard and mine has passed 85K miles now.

Brian

On my way, Bri... I should be close to 85K in a few weeks.. :)  Now that its cooling off a bit... riding season has started again.. :)

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
Hey Jerry, glad to see you stop by and glad to see that mileage climbing. It sounds like your health issues are behind you and that is great.

My mileage is actually down this year after a rather lousy run across the US. The results are more or less gone now but I was quite a while recovering from that- not complaining and it was entirely my fault so the punishment fits the crime in this case :-)

Brian

On my way, Bri... I should be close to 85K in a few weeks.. :)  Now that its cooling off a bit... riding season has started again.. :)

JJ

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »
>>>SNIP<<<Then today I met a guy on a Super Tenre and has 43,500 miles on his bike in 1 year.>>>SNIP<<<

Let's see;  If 365 days x 100 per day = 36,500......   43,500, that's a VERY impressive total! :yikes:
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
I hope kwak doesn't build the bevel drive down so it wear's out faster( nah) so the dealer's can make more money on service. Never happen.
I cruised a goldwing yesterday with 110 k miles on it, and it rode just fine( I've never been on such a hi mileage bike). I wasn't really expecting it to blow up, but it was really tight(like a tiger) and ran perfect. I'm really pleased to here these hi mile tales. I'm looking forward to wearing the land shark(08 c14) out if i can. thank's.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
I plan on racking up miles on mine for quite a while, should be no surprise to anyone that these bikes are quite capable of this. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
I am just a few short of 85,000 miles on my 08. And it shares my time with two other bikes. Speaking of high mileage, we've been running an annual mileage contest at MSTA. Last year I finished 7th with 31,000. The winner had over 100,000 miles for the year! He rides a Goldwing.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline scootertrash

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
That's awesome. Is he a iron butt guy?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 12:26:11 AM »
That's awesome. Is he a iron butt guy?

more like a Chrome-Vanadium butt...  :hail:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.