Author Topic: Key fob  (Read 14397 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Key fob
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
Me too.  My trunk has all my junk in it.

I keep my trunk empty, and store the junk in the saddle bag.  That way I don't fall victim to statements like that, the weight is down lower, and the bag with the keyless entry is always available.  ;) 8)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »

Jim has junk in the trunk eh'....

No comment. :-X 

I hear too many martinis will do that to you.   :-X

Or is there such a thing as too many martinis?  ::)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
I keep my trunk empty, and store the junk in the saddle bag.  That way I don't fall victim to statements like that, the weight is down lower, and the bag with the keyless entry is always available.  ;) 8)

I don't put much weight in the trunk, just my laptop and lunch when going to work, and laptop and beer from the store on the way home...
Works perfect for that!  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
Good post.

Are you sure about the RFID needing to be orientated? I think it will work in any rotation as long as it is w/in some minimal distance buit have not actually tried rotating my fob.  :o

One minor thing to add to your info.- you are correct in that the KiPass ECU has six 'one time use' memory slots but the ign. housing authenticator (whatever it is really called) is a separate part, also has six memory slots for fobs but they can be re-written. KiPass is actually split into two different and completely separate segments; one is in the KiPass unit itself and the other one is in the ign. switch housing and, as far as I can tell, autonomous from the KiPass ECU. One difference in how they behave is that if you activate KiPass via the RF side, the system looks for the fob again at specific points (crossing a certain speed, shifting into sixth, and maybe a couple of other instances I cannot remember) while if KiPass is activated via the RFID portion, it never looks for the fob again during that power- on cycle. I assume this is because the RFID device has to be removed and stored elsewhere to ride the bike and the LCD would forever be showing a 'Transponder Error'.

And I agree with you, Cap'n Bob is horrible and unnecessary. Oh, wait....  ;D

Brian

The CC fob is RFID only.  It will only work if you put it against the key switch housing, in the right place and orientation.  Same thing you can do with your current fob if the battery is dead.

It's more like a back up emergency fob, that costs much less, takes up less space, and can be hidden on the bike like a "hide-a-key" in days of old, or stashed away in a safe.

Since you must have a currently working fob (RFID or active RF),  to add a new fob to the KIPASS ECU, the CC fob is a good back up option.  Without one, your KIPASS is dead, and you must buy a new KIPASS ECU.  Also, there are only 6 one time programmable 'slots' in the KIPASS ECU, so once you have used them all up, and lost those fobs, the KIPASS ECU is junk.

I'm sure  Cap'n Bob will be along shortly to point out how horrible and unnecessary all this technology is.  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
The CC fob is RFID only.

Both are RFID.  The CC fob is passive.  The other is active.  Or so that is my understanding.  I like having it, but I really wish they had included TWO active fobs, instead of one.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
So for the 08-10 09 bikes, they gave us 2 active fobs, but for the 10-11's, they now give 1 active and 1 passive, is that right?

Seems I recall an early discussion suggested disabling the battery in one of the active fobs by putting tape around it to prevent a connection, and hiding it under the seat, to be accessed, re-enabled, and used in case the first fob went kaput.   Anyone other than me do that?  And has anyone who did that ever found that to be a useful strategy?
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline marku8a

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
What he said. Plus, I have an extra pair of credit card fobs I bought, in case you'd also like to get a spare. New, not used, still in the bag.

I am interested. Please let me know your asking price.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
So for the 08-10 09 bikes, they gave us 2 active fobs, but for the 10-11's, they now give 1 active and 1 passive, is that right?

Seems I recall an early discussion suggested disabling the battery in one of the active fobs by putting tape around it to prevent a connection, and hiding it under the seat, to be accessed, re-enabled, and used in case the first fob went kaput.   Anyone other than me do that?  And has anyone who did that ever found that to be a useful strategy?
Whenver I go on an overnight trip I pack my spare fob, wrapped in aluminum foil in my overnight/medicine case. So far I have not needed to use it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
my CC fob works magic, but only my main FOB can turn my PR3 Michelins into off road tires!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:38 AM »
I've never packed the spare fob or spare batteries for it in four years of riding the bike (Steve philosophy).  I have a spare key so I use that to open everything.  The fob stays in my jean's pocket so there's very little chance of losing it or falling off the bike.  The only way that could happen is for me to fall off the bike (so I would notice that).  I have lost my wallet once (for a short time), but never the fob.  If the battery goes south, it's easily obtained in just about any store in the nation and you can use the backup feature until a new one is obtained.  As far as I'm concerned it's very reliable and I hardly think about it all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 05:23:03 AM »
I've never packed the spare fob or spare batteries for it in four years of riding the bike (Steve philosophy).  I have a spare key so I use that to open everything.  The fob stays in my jean's pocket so there's very little chance of losing it or falling off the bike.  The only way that could happen is for me to fall off the bike (so I would notice that).  I have lost my wallet once (for a short time), but never the fob.  If the battery goes south, it's easily obtained in just about any store in the nation and you can use the backup feature until a new one is obtained.  As far as I'm concerned it's very reliable and I hardly think about it all.

And just where was your wallet stored when you lost it Jim?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »
 :offtopic:   Somewhat off topic here....  I stopped just within Wyoming last year on my way to Reno for gas.   Left the station and headed west on I80.  Got about 2 miles down the road and felt for my wallet (habit).  Not there... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: .  Immediately did a panic stop (Both brakes initiated ABS) to the shoulder.   Felt again and it still was not there.  Oh no.  Started up again and found a cut through the median and went back to the station.  Looked, not there.  Asked the station people and they hadn't seen it nor had anyone brought it to their attention.  Oh no again.  Retraced the route and it was nowhere to be seen.  I had extra cash stashed away so I got on the Interstate and headed west again (don't know why I did that).  Got to thinking again and realized I did not have enough money to get gas to either west or east.  Cra*!  Then decided to go back again (through the median) and talk to the local police to give them my cell phone number in case anyone turned it in.  Got to the police station (had a closed sign on it....oh my) which directed me to the town office.  Talked to the people there and they said they would talk to the police and let me know if it was found.  Started walking to the bike going over all the scenarios (none good) and the light bulb turned on....  Wait a minute, I'm wearing my Frog Togg pants (misty rain coming out of Nebraska) and felt down to my cuff.  There it was!  Thank you Jesus!  The moral of the story is that if you are wearing overpants then you need to make darn sure you put the wallet in the proper pocket.  I had just put it in the overpants without putting it in my jeans.  The second rule is that if you have emergency cash stashed, put a second credit card in there with it just in case.  BTW, this is also what 'warped' my rotors as afterwards I had terrible shuddering....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:38 AM »

I do, although I don't wrap the FOB. When I bought the bike I opened the second FOB and wraped the battery in isolating paper. If I ever loose the first one, I have a "new" one in the safe at home, which I only take with me when I'm going to stay overnight with the bike somewhere out of the city. So far never needed it, but once I did need a spare key for another bike (which I had with me by chance) so I learnt my lesson without much blood spilt...  8)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »
So following all the helpful advice gained from this thread it would seem this is what I need to do.
1) Have my C14's ECU reprogrammed to accept the new active & passive fobs.
2) Verify fob work with C14.
3) Have the new Key blanks cut.
4) Verify new keys work & install them in their respective Fobs.
5) Disable battery on active fob & stash in safe place at home in original packaging.
6) Hide passive fob under the seat. (good use for the little storage space on the bottom of my sargeant seat)
7) Drill a hole in the key I retrieved from the broken / suicidal fob.
8] Attach this and all other bike related keys (trunk, helmet lock, etc) to a ring seperate from the currently active fob. these key are to be used as needed.
9) Place the currently active fob deep within a pocket & do not remove while using my C14.
10) Rest assured I will never be stranded due to a KIPASS / FOB issue.
 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:30:55 AM by alexx45 »
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
:offtopic:   Somewhat off topic here....  I stopped just within Wyoming last year on my way to Reno for gas.   Left the station and headed west on I80.  Got about 2 miles down the road and felt for my wallet (habit).  Not there... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: .  Immediately did a panic stop (Both brakes initiated ABS) to the shoulder.   Felt again and it still was not there.  Oh no.  Started up again and found a cut through the median and went back to the station.  Looked, not there.  Asked the station people and they hadn't seen it nor had anyone brought it to their attention.  Oh no again.  Retraced the route and it was nowhere to be seen.  I had extra cash stashed away so I got on the Interstate and headed west again (don't know why I did that).  Got to thinking again and realized I did not have enough money to get gas to either west or east.  Cra*!  Then decided to go back again (through the median) and talk to the local police to give them my cell phone number in case anyone turned it in.  Got to the police station (had a closed sign on it....oh my) which directed me to the town office.  Talked to the people there and they said they would talk to the police and let me know if it was found.  Started walking to the bike going over all the scenarios (none good) and the light bulb turned on....  Wait a minute, I'm wearing my Frog Togg pants (misty rain coming out of Nebraska) and felt down to my cuff.  There it was!  Thank you Jesus!  The moral of the story is that if you are wearing overpants then you need to make darn sure you put the wallet in the proper pocket.  I had just put it in the overpants without putting it in my jeans.  The second rule is that if you have emergency cash stashed, put a second credit card in there with it just in case.  BTW, this is also what 'warped' my rotors as afterwards I had terrible shuddering....

Talk about turning panic mode up to 10!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »

Yikes! I keep an extra credit card in my luggage for that exact reason. I also use the micro locking glove compartment on my '10 for my wallet. It's more comfortable then sitting on it and it can't fall out. I'm now in the habit of when I get on the bike I throw the wallet in and when I get off I get it and put it in my back pocket. BTW: I also installed a hidden latch for that compartment so I get open it without turning on the bike.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »

BTW: Rock Springs WY would not be a fun place to get stranded!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »

Glad you found it!  You may want to check the battery in the FOB. The KiPass shouldn't have taken that long leading you to the correct pocket
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
When I travel out- of- state I also carry both fobs but I don't disable either one. They work fine if both are left active. I usually carry the 'spare' in my riding jacket and the other one is always carried in my pants pocket (always- whether I am riding the bike or not). My point is that you can carry two active fobs without any problem, I have even had them in the same pocket occasionally and the system works fine like that. Of course if you leave the case with the fob in it on the bike, you absolutely should disable that fob.

Brian

Whenver I go on an overnight trip I pack my spare fob, wrapped in aluminum foil in my overnight/medicine case. So far I have not needed to use it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
I carry the credit card fob as spare in my wallet when traveling