Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 292783 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »

Oh man, those are fricken trick! If the canyon cage has a horizontal bar along the bottom, something like that could be attached underneath and be hidden when not in use...

+1

I like this idea  :o

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
I'll definitely keep the low-profile highway peg idea in mind! I like how some of those styles can be tucked away out of sight when not in use.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Klavdy

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
Hmm,
no drilling,
Ground clearance is essential.
You wrote that you make the bars out of 7/8 or 1" bar.
A lot of people will want to add hi-way pegs and lights to these bars.
Which diameter has more after-market support?
Or, maybe you could make the bars out of a combination of both diameters?
Or doesn't it matter?
Maybe some pre drilled flanges to add lights as an option?

Offline farrider2

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Thank you for making the effort to ask the question Ryan. This is a great example of how the motorcycle community and vendors can work together better.

1) Would you guys mind a Canyon Cage that required drilling into the fairing if it meant a cleaner, better looking application?

NO drilling is best if possible since I would like to resell the bike (eventually) and keep the cage for the next Concours.

2) Or, would you rather have a slightly beefier bar that used external mounting points exclusively as to avoid fairing modification?

Beefier bars would be best.

3) Would you prefer a single-bar, 2 point cage or a slightly beefier 2 or 3-bar, 2.5 or 3 point cage?

No preference at this time.

3) How much does lean angle matter to you (this was a huge selling point for our Canyon Cages on the supersports as they protrude LESS than standard frame sliders)?

I use my machine for highway cruising so lean angle is less of an issue. Generally I am scraping boots and pegs long before anything gets too serious.

4) Also, are there any other things that bother you about currently available front-end protection?

The current set looks “law enforcement” focused and I understand that was the original market but I don’t need that much frontage.

5) I'd really like to hear what bothers you folks about the fairing guards that are currently on the market so we can work to eliminate as much of those things as possible.

N/A

I am less concerned about the bags now that I have your small guards. I'd keep the combination of the smaller bag guards and Canyon Cages in mind so powder coating and chrome need to be available.

Offline donmoe

• My 2013 Triumph Trophy SE at Lake Okeechobee, FL
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »
Ryan,

On my 2010 Connie I have the frame slider kit from Projektd.com, which does a satisfactory job of protecting the plastic in tip-over situations as long as the bike is not top-heavy with camping gear and a top case. During my cross-country tour last summer, I had the misfortune of laying the bike over during a U-turn and the extra weight caused the bike to lay all the way over onto its side. Thanks to the slider post, the front fairing was unscathed, but the left mirror and the left saddlebag both got scratched.  Unfortunately I don't have anything more than the sliders mounted near the rear wheel hub, which cannot protect the bags in this situation.

Thus I would recommend that any aftermarket protection take this type of scenario into account.

Don
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)
2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
1981 KZ1000
1974 Z1 (sold)
1973 H1 (traded 1974)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
saw this on the other board...
drop test deans camera 1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
drop test deans camera 1

That's pretty impressive since it is a "real" tipover test.   Just let it fall.... none of this "placing" it down, or lowering it with straps, just let go!

But what is it?  Looks similar to some of the police-oriented ones I have seen in other pictures and videos.  The rear bars are far more elaborate than should be needed.   The fronts stick out a LOT, *and* require drilling.  No denying the design seems to be effective, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
I really appreciate all the replies, everyone! We have some really great information coming out, so this is awesome! I am definitely reading all comments and taking everything into account.

Have you guys not seen our drop video before? Concours Tip Over

Granted, this tip over test was done with the *beefier* front end protection that we made for a specific customer. However, our current bars hold up just as well in similar situations but we haven't had a chance to do actual drop tests with them in our facility. I'm still trying to talk the owners into giving me the go ahead for the Canyon Cage style and I'm really making some progress. We should be ready to move on these within a few weeks or so. It's just been so hectic lately with trying to get all the new models in that the owner has been a bit stressed so I'm weary about how much I present to him and when. I'll definitely keep you guys posted!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
You could give US his email. :rotflmao:

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »
The white elephant in the room is probably these, mentioned in another thread:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6763/602/
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/Adventure_Bars/AB0002BK.aspx

"R&G Adventure Bars."  No question this is the same general class that McE is targeting with "Canyon Cages"  :)

They are pretty darn thin.  And there are no photos anywhere from an angle, so it is hard to tell the protrusion.  Zero info about how much protection on front fairings/mirror/etc for a tipover.

The only reason these are not on my 2010 is the removal of them to get under the plastics. I like this design very well.

I do like the GSXR bars in your first posts and would prefer these to the RG units

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »

The only reason these are not on my 2010 is the removal of them to get under the plastics. I like this design very well.

I do like the GSXR bars in your first posts and would prefer these to the RG units

John

I definitely prefer the Canyon Cages for civilian use as well, at least compared to our current version. Ours will probably come out similar to the RGs but obviously I want to make a unique product that will match the saddle bag guards we currently make. I'm really pushin' to get them going for you guys!  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
drop test deans camera 1

:o 

Wow those are some ugly bars on a bike... I guess you could tie some tassles on them for parade day.

You guys are digressing now...  :(
 :doublepuke:

I thought the point of this thread was to design something that actually looks good...  :-\

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
Come on Jay, you know those rear guards would go well with your bike, especially in chrome.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Come on Jay, you know those rear guards would go well with your bike, especially in chrome.

:yikes:   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »

["R&G Adventure Bars."]The only reason these are not on my 2010 is the removal of them to get under the plastics. I like this design very well.

You might prefer them, but I think you will find that the Canyon design for a Concours is probably also going to block the fairings removal.  It kinda comes with the territory.  Even the Top Guard design blocks and goes through the lower fairing.

I have seen only two designs for front (front sides) protection that do not block fairing removal- GSG and the Project D Extreme Slider type design that sticks out a single post from one of the fairing vent holes.  Of course, the less metal and the less coverage, the less protection.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »

ONLY black for ZG...

But really, for full protection, you pretty much HAVE to get something on the rear too.  Just front won't cut it.  And the McE small rears are really not bad looking....  UNLESS you want to ride without the bags.   I have not seen a photo of the Concours with McE small rears and the bags off, but I can't image that would look very good.

And in ZG's case, I think he typically rides without the side bags.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
You could give US his email. :rotflmao:

Hahahahaha I think that would hurt more than help, actually. Pops is a sensitive being.  :-X

You guys are digressing now...  :(
 :doublepuke:

I thought the point of this thread was to design something that actually looks good...  :-\

Those are not our bars. I think someone posted the video merely to demonstrate the strength of generic front-end protection. I don't plan on designing anything that looks close to that, I'm working on going in a different direction.

You might prefer them, but I think you will find that the Canyon design for a Concours is probably also going to block the fairings removal.  It kinda comes with the territory.  Even the Top Guard design blocks and goes through the lower fairing.

I have seen only two designs for front (front sides) protection that do not block fairing removal- GSG and the Project D Extreme Slider type design that sticks out a single post from one of the fairing vent holes.  Of course, the less metal and the less coverage, the less protection.

This is spot on. Designing bars for the Connie that allow for easy removal of the fairing is truly a difficult task. I'm going to play around with trying to design some sort of quick-release system for the Canyon Cages but it's looking pretty tough. I believe it's doable but I'm afraid of what it will do to the strength of the bars. Once I get the go-ahead and get a bike in the shop, I can start playing with some different designs and start making more progress! Man, this is actually pretty exciting! Coming back to the forums, updating you guys, hearing your feedback and ideas, etc.. I dig it!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Man, this is actually pretty exciting! Coming back to the forums, updating you guys, hearing your feedback and ideas, etc.. I dig it!

Trust me Ryan, you're gonna end up buying a Connie after all this is said and done, don't tell me that we aren't wetting your pallet bro...  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
ONLY black for ZG...

And in ZG's case, I think he typically rides without the side bags.

True dat Max on both counts bro!  8) 

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »

Trust me Ryan, you're gonna end up buying a Connie after all this is said and done, don't tell me that we aren't wetting your pallet bro...  ;)

Oh believe me I've loved these bikes from the beginning. We've been making parts for them for a few years now so I've had the pleasure of being around them quite a bit. They're an all-around great bike for sure, it's no wonder cops use 'em. To tell you the truth, though, I've wanted a Harley since I was a little kid. My Dad rides a Harley (among other bikes) and I've always thought it was the most bad ass thing ever. I currently ride a 2011 Yamaha FZ8 and have been looking at a few different bikes to get serious about once I'm done paying off the FZ in a year or so. Although, that's not to say a Connie isn't somewhere in my future. They really are awesome and I could definitely see myself gleamin' down PCH on one!