Author Topic: Lowering the bars  (Read 5998 times)

Offline koskn8r

• Scott Koskey in Omaha, NE
    • Koskey.net Web Page
Lowering the bars
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »
Has anyone done this?  I'm coming from a Triumph Sprint ST.  The Sprint was a great bike but the ride position was a little more aggressive that the Concours.  I'm on the fence right now for either lowering or raising the bars.  The current position is right at that sweet spot where it's bothering my back.  This is the ONLY problem I'm having with this bike!  I'm 5'10" and the stock configuration is just not quite right for me. :(

I can either lower the bars a little or raise them to ride more upright.  I rode the Sprint for almost 7 years and really got used to the more aggressive position.  I'm thinking that raising them may be the way to go though..........

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Re: Lowering the bars
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
I added a 1-5/8" spacer and totally eliminated the back soreness...the spacers are readily available for a reasonable price, and if it doesn't help there are lots of folks here who buy used farkles.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Gsun

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
The easiest thing to do would be to raise them first. Lowering involves cutting a piece out of the handlebar holder and you would have to buy new ones if that did not work. I have seen a set cut and lowered. It's a bit messy as the taper does not match up when welded back together.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
If you are going to raise your bars go with Advanced Sport Tourings 2" pull back risers and call it done. $160

http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Risers_p/c14-03.htm

Or you could spend $600-$700 dollars on Precision Engineering bars or Heli bars.

http://www.preeng.com/xcart/2008-Current-Kawasaki-Adjustable-Handlebars.html

https://www.helibars.com/product/kawasaki-c14-multi-adjustable-handlebar-replacement-system

Offline seagiant

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:53:18 AM »
Hi,
     I'd be interested in why you left the Sprint for the C14??? Ride position only? The Sprint was one of the bikes I looked at before going with the Kawi! Just wondering?

Offline koskn8r

• Scott Koskey in Omaha, NE
    • Koskey.net Web Page
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »
Hi,
     I'd be interested in why you left the Sprint for the C14??? Ride position only? The Sprint was one of the bikes I looked at before going with the Kawi! Just wondering?

It wasn't voluntary.  I was leaving work and working my way to the exit of the parking garage when I crossed the yellow painted center line.  There must have been some oil or water on that particular spot.  The next thing I know, I'm sliding.  Luckily, I was wearing full gear and got nothing more than a sore ankle where the bike landed on it.

The bike got rashed on the entire left side; bags, fairings, bars, shifter peg, forks, mirrors.  It was pretty amazing the amount of damage caused by sliding about 6 ft. in a parking garage.  I filed a claim with insurance and they totaled it.

I had that bike for 7 years and put 46,000 miles on it and it will be missed sorely.

However... I'm back to the Concours because I like the features and looks.  The only big downside is the additional 150 lbs. of weight but I think I can handle it.  :)   Half the fun of owning a new bike is modifying it to your own personal fit.

Offline makoskey

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:52:07 AM »
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=387

I would get these. A bit pricey but you can choose from an infinite amount of handelbars

Hey..do I know you???  ;D

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
I lowered my bars by an inch by cutting a chunk out with a hacksaw and having them welded back together. Another member lowered his by an inch and a half. After that they will hit the tank at full lock.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=387

I would get these. A bit pricey but you can choose from an infinite amount of handelbars

Hey..do I know you???  ;D
LSL kit is awesome.  Gets/got my vote.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Hi,
     Thanks Kosk! I know any bike can slide out from under you,but I think you will find the C14 to be pretty planted even with the "new" BA 021's! I'm 6'8" and the Sprint actually felt pretty good to me ,but it has almost the same riding position as a full blown sport bike! I think for me at my size there is not a better bike made today for me than the C14. I find the handle bars to be perfect and to give just the right amount of lean to feel like I'm "in" the bike instead of on it!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
I suggest trying a different seat first.  When I put the regular height Sargent seat with pod on the bike my issues with the handlebars went away.  That seat pushed me a little forward and doesn't compress as much as the stock seat.  I came close to buying a sprint ST.  The last year with the triple exhaust under the seat.  Really liked the ride position and the sound, but didn't want to deal with the chain when touring.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077